checking a box of liquids on Delta?

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Sharon

checking a box of liquids on Delta?

Post by Bob & Sharon »

We are going to Caneel in June. We will only have carry on. But. We are thinking of checking a cardboard box of wine, suntan lotion and a few other things. Our thought is it will save us a trip to town to shop and we will have the stuff the first night. We usually don't trust the airlines, but if the loose it, it is no big deal and packing in a box we can just throw it away and only have carry on coming home.
any thoughts?

thanks in advance.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

After nearly a dozen trips down, that idea wouldn't be a consideration even if I only had two nights to spend on island. I'd take the hour to go into town, go to the Marketplace and shop for wine and sunscreen. If the airlines lost the box then your out whatever money you have into it. If the contents are broken, etc. You have a big mess and your out the money. I'm not a gambler...I'd go shopping.
Bob & Sharon

Post by Bob & Sharon »

I would agree but, and don't laugh please.
We are staying at Caneel and really don't want to have to go off property for the first day or so. Bob (this is the funny part) really likes two buck chuck, so you can see that cost is not a real issue if the box does not make it. But, if it does he has his cheap wine and is happy. I thought I would fill up the box with plastic bottles of club soda and a few cans of ginger ale since we will only need 4 bottles of wine. and then add the sun screen as it is too large a liquid for my carry on.
We of course will go into town for dinner a few nights and most likely come back to caneel with some beer. The great price at caneel still does not make me want to pay up for their beer, wine and club soda.
djmom

Post by djmom »

I might pack it in a cooler-to be safer about breakage. Or in a box and the wine in a polar bear cooler.

Or just the whole thing in a hard side suitcase. That is what we have brought wine in the past....

Do you have a direct flight? If so I wouldn't worry at all about lost luggage.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

djmom wrote:Do you have a direct flight? If so I wouldn't worry at all about lost luggage.
Um... American lost one of our bags on a non-stop JFK to STT flight. Don't know how they did that, but they did. And we didn't get the $15 back that we paid to check the bag. Plus, we had to go into Cruz Bay (from Concordia) to retrieve it!

How 'bout mailing a box to Caneel ahead of time. It would work great for the suntan lotion, etc. Don't know if you are allowed to mail wine. Just a thought.

Lovermont
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I'd definitely use a hard-sided cooler. Or...and even this could get funny...freeze it. If it's red wine, leaving it out once you arrive should thaw it enough to drink.

I would just be very nervous about having the wine bag burst. Since your name is on the shipping box, I wonder if Delta would come after you were it to burst and soak everyone else's bags.

I'm all about cheap wine, and certainly all about coolers, but this may be a bit risky.
ripnero

Post by ripnero »

also dont forget unless you are medallion delta charges $15 for first bag and $25 for a second bag check, so to transport the box will cost more then your wine.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Sending a box ahead of time is a fine idea but remember it is against the law to ship alcohol via the USPS.

Pia
Pia

Post by Pia »

Duh, guess I need more coffee :lol: :lol: :lol: you mean checking a box on your flight - sorry
djmom

Post by djmom »

that is pretty hard to lose a bag on a direct flight.
that stinks!

for the wine, I was thinking in the polar bear, then the box....the polar bear shouldn't leak. Or you could put in a big ziploc, then in the polar bear, then in a box...i would like having the polar bear there anyways....but I agree, this is pretty involved to get 2 buck chuck there. Unless the bags are free b/c of frequent flier status..
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Brought back 4 bottles of booze from STJ earlier this month. Wrapped them individually in t-shirts and packed them inside a Polar Bear type cooler, then packed the cooler inside a large wheeled duffel bag along with our snorkel gear. No problems.

We had the cooler for frozen stuff we brought to STJ.
Bob & Sharon

Post by Bob & Sharon »

we are medallion so there is no charge for the box. I have read that many people buy liquor duty free and take it in boxes on the plane, so I don't think this is so different. We will bubble wrap each of the bottles and then surround them each with plastic bottles of club soda. We will use the wine box from traders and mark it fragile. We will also (thanks for the suggestion) bring extra tape with us to the airport.
I think this is the best approach and I will let you know if it gets there in tact. we do have a direct flight.
We are so excited to be able to spend a week at Caneel, we are looking forward to all the great snorkeling they have to offer. We will post a trip report, with pictures when we return.