Need advice for yatch chartering in the VI

Travel discussion for St. John
BillnSue

Need advice for yatch chartering in the VI

Post by BillnSue »

Hi evereyone...We're being married in July and would like to spend five days to a week aboard a skippered boat prior to a week spent on STJ. Has anyone had wonderful experiences with a company or skipper in the USVI waters for that length of time? Thanks!
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Do you just want a captain only boat or do yo want a cpatain and chef? Also are you looking at power or sail.
Jay
BillnSue

Post by BillnSue »

Jay- we're open to anything. We'd prefer a skipper and a chef. We're relaxed and adventurous...have been coming to STJ since the mid '80s...and would like to get to know the islands from a different perspective...the water side.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

It is very common to use a charter broker who knows the boats and crew and who can go over a number of questions with you to determine your needs and wants - it is not any more expensive and a good broker can match you up with a boat that really fits. In any case they are a good source of info - many advertise in 'Sail' or 'Yachting' magazines but I can personally recommend Ellen at www.stewartyachtcharters.com
She has been working here in St Thomas for over 20 years and knows the boats, she is very strong on customer service.
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

Nothing like quick responses :lol:
BillnSue

Post by BillnSue »

Exit...thanks for your advice! And Wakey...I know...it's great!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I agree with Exit that a broker provides a great service in this area.

We used Sherry at www.yatesyachts.com a few years ago.
janet
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

We have a page with this kind of information right on this site: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/usvisailing.shtml

It would be great if you checked out these offerings - they are reputable and have supported us for a long time.

Thanks!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Since you are fairly new here, most of the regular posters know this, I should have disclosed that I work in the business. I work for a bareboat company on St Thomas CYOA. Of the list that Anthony provided I can personally vouch for Ed Hamilton. We do business with them on a regular basis. I also have to say that Exit Zero's advice is usually on the mark.
The company that I work for only does bareboat and captain only trips.
I also have some friends that run a 42 Foot Catalina out of Red Hook that do captain and chef charters. If you want some information on that then PM me and I will send it to you.
I assume that you are going to do this by yourself, not with another couple?
Jay
Pia

Post by Pia »

Scubadu gets fabulous write ups and I believe the chef is excellent :)

Pia

http://www.sailvi.com/html/catamarans.htm
crash

Post by crash »

Pia is absolutely correct about Scubadu. We booked it 2 years ago for six of us and had a blast. Capt Joe was a lot of fun and would recommend him to anyone. He will take you where ever you want to go. We did the all day with him and hit Jost Van Dyke soggy dollar and foxys. When we came back he had a grilled steak salad ready for us.

I would recommend him to anyone.
BillnSue

Post by BillnSue »

Thank you all so much for your input...and for your welcoming responses. We adore this beautiful, sweet gem that IS STJ. I'm sure you all know why...I could go on forever with the many ways this incredible paradise has touched our hearts and lives. Jay...thanks for the diclosure but i kinda figured... and took your words in good faith, of course! We're looking forward to more participation in the forum and, again, are so appreciative of your feedback!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

jayseadee wrote:I agree with Exit that a broker provides a great service in this area.

We used Sherry at www.yatesyachts.com a few years ago.
Have used Sherry twice before and she is GREAT. One trip was a Captain Laddie and his wife DJ on the Sea Nympth. The 2nd year we bareboated a 41' cat with 3 other couples and Island hopped through the BVIs
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

I'll third Sherry Yates. She directed us to Yacht Phaedrus which was perfect for our honeymoon. yachtphaedrus.com

Charles is a gourmet chef and Leslie is a terrific baker and host. We just had lunch with them two weeks ago at Skinny Legs as we introduced them to our 2 yr old son.

We spent 6 days with them and 6 days on St. John....the perfect balance for our honeymoon, in my estimation.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer any and all of them.