need ideas and need them FAST!

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

need ideas and need them FAST!

Post by loria »

this is a bit off topic, but related to Pia's post about the gift drive for christmas--
I contacted Joe and i am trying to bring things they need (in terms of where they are sparse) it looks like they are covered fairly well (??) for younger kids bt have nothing for the 14-18 crowd--there are only about 8 or so kids in that age range
evenly split (?) girls and boys --I went out this evening and picked up a couple of cute bags sortof blinged out at marshalls tonight --but need some ideas for boys so i can get that squared away tomorrow after work (and i still have to pack! and we leave at 5 am friday!!)
so in desperation, can you give me ideas in the 20-25 dollar range for teen boys and teen girls (girls i think i have covered.....but ideas are welcome)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
byado18

Post by byado18 »

It's been a while since I had a boy in that age range...but what about ball caps or shirts from sports teams??????
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I was going to suggest sports hats or shirts, too but who knows what teams they like.
I am trying to come up with something and I am just at a loss.
Helene

Post by Helene »

Hi Loria,

I've been lurking for quite a while now. You're request inspired me to sign up and log on. I feel bad because we were on island during Thanksgiving and we could have dropped off some gifts, but I wasn't aware of the effort. (btw, I am McPenguin's daughter-in-law.) I have a few ideas for gifts for the teen boys:

Camping gear like cool flashlights
tackle boxes for fishing gear
other fishing gear
stunt kites
boogie boards
skim boards
snorkeling gear
itunes gift cards

Marshmallow shooter
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/753d/

Li'l Guppy multipurpose tool
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/a905/

Hope this helps. I'll try to think of some other ideas
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

CDs and DVDs are easy to pack! We're leaving Anchorage at 7:30 am Friday...bet you'll get there first! Travel Safely!

Seagrape
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

One of the things I sent was a camo colored sports watch/compass that has a caribiner clip to attach it to a backpack or belt. It's more of a kid's watch, but maybe you could find something similar for an older kid. Now that I think of it, how about a cool backpack?
Helene

Post by Helene »

I'm afraid I didn't read your post carefully enough. I thought you were planning to buy some things when you get to the islands.
loria

Post by loria »

great stuff, keep it coming--Joe told me soccer and basketballs--but i think i would have to deflate them and then re-inflate them on island.
so maybe not the best idea........

keep those ideas coming--i have to get at least 6-8 more gifts tomorrow!!

thanks!!!!!

hey seagrape, if you read this we'll probably be neighbors from the 27th - the 3rd--we'll be in the same area
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
P-600

Post by P-600 »

I asked my 15 year old son and he thinks Air Jordan t- shirts, they have a good selection at Champs. I just bought a couple for him on sale and i think i paid $20 each.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I also thought basketball, footballs, but not the easiest things to pack.

For sports teams, you could focus on the current champions or popular teams(NY Giants, Phillies, Boston Celtics, Yankees, Cowboys, etc.). Another options would be Nike, Reebok, UnderArmour gear - the big sporting goods stores may have some sales.

Easy to pack would be watches - Timex usually has some inexpensive options.

What a great thing you are doing for these kids.
janet
loria

Post by loria »

jayseadee wrote:I also thought basketball, footballs, but not the easiest things to pack.

For sports teams, you could focus on the current champions or popular teams(NY Giants, Phillies, Boston Celtics, Yankees, Cowboys, etc.). Another options would be Nike, Reebok, UnderArmour gear - the big sporting goods stores may have some sales.

Easy to pack would be watches - Timex usually has some inexpensive options.

What a great thing you are doing for these kids.
Great ideas jayseadee (and everyone else!)
I am fortunate enough to be going there at the right time--i know each of you would do the exact same thing (and already have!) if you were on your way--and lucky enough to have a husband who must have been a sherpa in a prior life.
got to finish up at work now (long day ahead) then finish up the gift shopping and then pack (for me and my kids...long night coming!)
keep those ideas coming, i will be checking in periodically!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Maybe some snorkel gear? I know I have loaned my gear to local teens on more than one occasion (even thoough it skeeves me out to let someone else use my snorkel, shudder shudder!).

Basketballs are a good idea too, and maybe one of those portable inflating devices?

Binoculars?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
ms411

Post by ms411 »

I'm glad this thread was resurrected! I thought the drive was over based on the previous thread, and I just sent something over to STJ today, but nobody knows about the drive or where to take the "gift."

I was hoping to get this build-a-robot kit recommended in a magazine for $18, but it's sold out everywhere online, and on e-bay someone sold a new one the other day for $60+. I didn't want it THAT badly!

So, I went to Radio Shack and bought a "Plug 'N Sing" Karaoke System that converts a DVD player into a karaoke machine with the included microphone, and has a disk with 30 songs. I figured it was gender neutral.

Now, WHERE SHOULD IT BE TAKEN???? I heard there's a party for the kids on Sat in the park. Is this the same thing??? Pia or somebody, HELP!

Thanks.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

If you have a Toys R Us nearby, we did have some inexpensive mp3 players that people seem to get for teenage boys. Those are good for girls, too, actually. They come in all different colors.

I would guess other stores have them too, but this time of year, I don't get to leave Toys R Us very often.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I am probably way too late but that is the ages of my boys and they want The Dark Knight (Batman) on blueray. It just came out so the chances of them having it already are pretty slim.

Another hot movie for teenage boys this is also a new release is Iron Man.

Now I am going to go read the rest of the posts for suggestions for my own boys. ):