Sharks

Travel discussion for St. John
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Why oh why now!?! Years ago I never heard of a shark sighting and now it seems everyone who spends any time in the water sees one. Has something changed with the water temp or currents, or is it just that I didn't read a forum years ago? I have seen one once to the far left of Frances, and I thought that was my lifetime experience. What's up with all these shark encounters? Now I'm really scared! :shock: :shock: :shock: Is it like a horse........they sense your fear and have their way with you ????
JC

Post by JC »

My one and only experience with a shark...

Waterlemon...March '07. Once I became "unstartled" :shock: ...he/she was gone & there were no more pictures to be had.

Jen
128 & Counting...

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
MrB

Post by MrB »

I was quite put out that we did not see any sharks last year. I assumed that with 2 weeks on island that there would be plenty of opportunity. But, with a pesky TS Noel that kept us out of the water for 4 days, entertaining parents, and keeping Mrs B from floating away on a wave of Blackout Punch, alas....no sharks.

Better luck this year!!!
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

[quote="BOATSRUS"]Last year at Francis, out towards Whistling Cay I found myself in a huge school of Tarpon...There was a big fat ray on the bottom flapping up the brine shrimp and they were in a fast food frenzy!!Scared the $hit outta me (I was by myself)Once I got my breath I realized what they were, but then also realized that I was probably part of the food chain as well and got the hell outta' there...still it was pretty cool..that's the only place I have seen a nurse shark also...

I've seen that same thing in the same place. Last spring, just as it was getting dark, we saw a huge barracuda, followed by several huge tarpon. They hung out around our boat for a long time. It was amazing. Did I get in the water? No way!!!!

Sydney
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

[quote="liamsaunt
Since this is the shark thread, I am reposting the picture of the sharks I saw at Turtle Bay a couple of weeks ago. I thought they were blacktips by default, but now I am wondering if they could have been bull sharks. I've eliminated pretty much every other shark. Does anyone have an opinion? :shock:

My vote is black tip!!I've seen a few too. I wonder why they are showing up so regular these days. For the first 6 or 7 years going to the Islands we never saw any.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:00 am.