Safari Truck Rental

Travel discussion for St. John
theshopper3

Safari Truck Rental

Post by theshopper3 »

Someone mentioned that they had rented one of these recently. I can't seem to find the thread again.
Could whoever it was post how it was for room, shape & parking.

We are seriouly considering renting one for May when we have 6 Adults.

Thanks
The Shopper
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

It was DuxDweller (see post above) regarding water taxi. I was curious about that too. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Hi Shopper. That may have been me. I have one reserved through Spencer's on STJ for next week. The picture shows a pickup with a canopy over the bed of the truck, and benches on both sides of the bed. I'll let youi know how it was when we get back at the end of the month.
Lex

Post by Lex »

I don't know where you're staying, but the driveways at some villas would be quite challenging (if not impossible) for a safari truck.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Bring rope or hand cuff the kids to the railing :)
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Aaagh, so now I know what the handcuffs mentioned in the other thread are to be used for. :oops: Thanks for the clarification Rick. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

Hey Rick,
I thought maybe you meant the handcuffs were for me :lol: Although they may not be a bad idea :) we may find other uses for them :oops:

DuxDweller- We actually chhecked them out when wre where there last month & they look the same as the normal Taxi's just a little smaller.
Let me know how it works out when you are back as we will have to reserve it pretty soon.

Have an awesome time :D

The Shopper
mricco

safari truck

Post by mricco »

Hi,
Our group of 8 rented a safari truck last June. It was a hoot, did a lot of laughing. The only real problem was with 8 people the issue of where and when we were going for the day turned into a major discussion. Does everyone in your group like to do the same things? Not good for children. Where are you staying and what are the roads like to get there. The cab of the truck is a Chevy Canyon and it did have a lot of power as we were in Coral Bay area high up windy, steep roads. We rented from Denzil Cline. Need anymore help let me know.
Mricco
m ricco
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

This is for Dux Dweller:

Phew....I can't imagine doing the safari truck up to and down from to Vistaero but, maybe I'm just a wimp.

If you do it, be sure the kids sit in the middle and hold on tight; there are a lot of branches that you'll be going through. And very steep hairpin turns.

Could be a lot of fun!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

Does anyone have a cost for renting one of these for a week (off season)? We are also going to have 6 adults this summer and I thought this would work great. I saw some folks rent one from Denzil when we were getting our jeep last year. So it sounds like Denzil and Spencer's has them - anybody else on island renting them?
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

Sleedog,

I priced them when we were down in Jan. & they were going to be $540 a week in low season. The best price I found was at Cool Breeze Car rental.

I know that Conrad Sutton also has them.

I think one of these would be so much better for a group of adults. Can;t wait to rent it.

The Shopper
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I just can't see my self tied down to what 6 other people I like to be up and out.
Tom
RickG

Post by RickG »

I picture Woody and Larry in the cab with you and the girls drinking cocktails in the back!

Funny memory, eight adults in a jitney in the Starfish parking lot trying to get all of their groceries, more than half rum and beer, in the truck with all of the people. Everyone ended up with bags stacked in their laps. They were hammered, it was hilarious.

Cheers, RickG
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

You are close, it will be Woody but not Larry, my brother is the other brave driver. Larry will be tending the bar for his girls the back :wink:

Funny sight I am sure. That may just end up being the case at some point thru out the 10 days :lol:

Cheers
RickG

Post by RickG »

theshopper3 wrote:You are close, it will be Woody but not Larry, my brother is the other brave driver. Larry will be tending the bar for his girls the back :wink:

Funny sight I am sure. That may just end up being the case at some point thru out the 10 days :lol:

Cheers
I want video!! I took some of y'all at Woody's one night but it turned out surreal - people's eyes looked like they were different sizes. Maybe it was an asymmetrical squint?!

Cheers, RickG