Trip question #3 Tattoo

Travel discussion for St. John
Dave-a-roni

Trip question #3 Tattoo

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Ok, Trip question #3 :)
I'm going to get a petrogylph tat (wifey probably will too), either here at home or in July when we return to the island, I prefere on island before we leave. Are there any tattoo studios on STJ? I did a half hearted google search and couldn't come up with anything conclusive. I also don't want to go over to St. Thomas for it.
*Forgive me, I know we just recently talked about this! But I don't recall if the tat was done on STJ*
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
LMG

Post by LMG »

Dave- If memory serves, over by the Fish Trap I saw a sign for a tattoo shop. Now, as to whether or not it was A) open or B) any good I couldn't tell you. Maybe bring your drawing with you, check it out at the beginning of your trip and see what you find.
augie

Post by augie »

When my wife got her tattoo, she had to keep it dry for a few days, if I recall correctly.

If it was me, I'd not want anything that would keep me out of the water while I was on STJ.
Come see us!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

That is correct Augie, you will have to keep it dry and I also believe out of the sun.

I would wait until you get home.
Bug

Post by Bug »

I really wouldn't want to do a tattoo while on vacation. The sun and salt water will pull the color right out of a fresh tattoo. Also the sand (which are like tiny shards of glass to a wound) can do a ton of damage. Wait till you get home and find someone who's work you've seen in person and trust. It will be there forever so make sure it's the best it can be :wink:

XOXO
Bug
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

There is indeed a tattoo shop on island. I've met the owner and she seems really good at what she does, and very professional and thorough. The shop is called Octopus Ink and the owner is named Pat. The phone number is 777-9954.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

If you do get it on-island, I'd talk to them and then wait until your last half day before you leave to actually get the ink. That way, you can enjoy the sun, sand, water without worrying about your art. My instructions were to use Dove soap (no washcloth) to clean it, pat it dry and Lubriderm unscented lotion to moisturize. It'll take about 4 good weeks to completely heal. Also, cover it up if you plan on getting in the tanning bed. Would love to have you post a pic whenever it happens! :mrgreen:
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Andrea266, thanks. Octupus Ink... got it! Thanks all, and yes, I would get it on my last day, I have two tats already, so I know the troubles involved 8) Boy how dumb would that be to get that in the middle of vacation, especially when I like snorkeling and hiking :shock: :roll: :evil:
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
Chet

Post by Chet »

Andrea266 wrote:There is indeed a tattoo shop on island. I've met the owner and she seems really good at what she does, and very professional and thorough. The shop is called Octopus Ink and the owner is named Pat. The phone number is 777-9954.
ditto

The owner runs a clean shop and she is a very good artist. We stopped by to say hi - she's a cousin of our good friends. She apprenticed in NYC and STT. Highly recommended.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]