Can you share your lists for shipping and Cost-U-Less?

Travel discussion for St. John
MadCityMom

Can you share your lists for shipping and Cost-U-Less?

Post by MadCityMom »

I'm starting to pack our flat rate boxes for shipping some things ahead of time and also making a list for Cost-U-Less. What do you ship ahead? What do you have on your Cost-U-Less list? We are traveling with 8 between ages 5-54.

Thanks for sharing!! :D
MadCityMom

Re: Can you share your lists for shipping and Cost-U-Less?

Post by MadCityMom »

Ha ha! Just found I posted my own flat rate shipping list a few years ago! Had forgotten some things since then. Suggestions still welcome.

Regarding Cost-u-less, what's worth it to get there rather than over Starfish? Wine and liquor? Or not bother? Thanks!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Would you mind re-posting your shipping costs and the length of time you allow for stuff to get there before you do? I've never pre-shipped stuff, but am thinking about it for our next trip.

I've never been to Cost_U-Less, so I can't compare prices, but I have a suggestion if you decide not to shop on STT. We always go to Pine Peace Market first, before heading to Starfish. Its small, but has a lot of items packed in there. The prices on water, tropical juices, and other items are usually a lot less than Starfish (or they were in 2013). We can't get everything we want at Pine Peace, but we like to go there first. We started going there a few years ago when we had trouble finding tropical juices. We like Guava, Mango and Passion Fruit juices, but Starfish only had a brand that was mostly apple or grape juice with a little bit of the tropical juices. Pine Peace had the real deal juices. The only thing I don't like about Pine Peace is the very tight parking lot!

Happy trip planning :D
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Just about everything is cheaper at Cost U Less than on St. John. I live on St. John and go to Cost U Less to stock up. CUL is a big box store like Costco or Sam's Club but their is no membership fee.

The number in your group will determine if big bags of frozen chicken, fish, etc. are feasible. Also good prices on produce. Excellent prices on soft drinks and liquor.

Be sure to let your credit card company know you are traveling in the USVI. One year we had a nearly $500 purchase and our credit card got denied because of it being an unusual location. Got it worked out by calling the card company but was a big hassle.

If you do decide to ship food items down, be cautious of anything in a glass jar. When your box arrives it will most likely look like an elephant sat on it and glass will be broken. This was my experience.
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Still debating the Cost U Less. Don't want to spend a long time in line. We are bringing along a Polar Bear with frozen meat so it would be mostly dairy, produce and beverages. Going to noodle on it.

Yes, Aqua Girl I can post my shipping charges and timing.

Getting so excited about this trip!

:D
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Mully, Cost U Less is the island version of Sam's and Costco in that products are sold in large quantities. For example, you can't just buy a box of Cheerios. You have to buy two boxes together. You can't buy a can of tuna. You have to buy a six pack. Can't buy a six pack of beer. Only in cases.

Yes, it is not as pretty, entertaining, and gentrified as Costco and Sam's. However, I have never waited in line 30-45 minutes. They don't pack your bags for you. Sam's never packed up and transported my groceries. Trader Joes doesn't pack and transport my groceries either.

Where do you shop that they pack and transport your groceries for you.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

The lines aren't that bad. Maybe at the beginning of the month just like everywhere else in America. I was first in line yesterday.They do have tastings at Price Mart just like the states.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

Aqua Girl - Just wanted to give an update on shipping. I shipped two Large Flat Rate Boxes on Thursday afternoon December 17th from Wisconsin. Shipping cost was $17.90 each. They arrived on Monday, Dec 21. Wow - can't believe how fast over the holidays!!

Woo Hoo! Counting the days!