Sad news from Coral Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
Chicken

Sad news from Coral Bay

Post by Chicken »

MJ, the chef at Aqua Bistro, master of Ponzu Tuna, passed away earlier today. God speed, chef.
Stella7474

Re: Sad news from Coral Bay

Post by Stella7474 »

R.I.P.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

So sad, RIP, MJ.

The Tourist Trap posted about his passing on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/TheTouristTrapStJohn?fref=ts

I hope Cheryl doesn't mind if I copy and paste what she posted (if so, I'll come back and delete it), for those who don't have FB:

For MJ...
Guys we had a terrible loss today with the passing of Larry's dear friend MJ. Many of you will know MJ from Aqua Bistro where he was chef for some eight years. Early this summer MJ had left Aqua Bistro and come to work with Larry at The Tourist Trap. Many of his off-island seasonal friends and fans came by The Tourist Trap to catch up with MJ and many more sent me messages asking me to tell MJ they'd see him this season. I know many people from St John and many from places far and wide lost a friend today. MJ's family has been contacted. Our hearts are with them.

MJ and Larry did some errands in Cruz Bay this morning and were driving to Larry's house along Norhtshore when MJ said he didn't feel well and lied down in the back seat of Larry's car. When Larry got home he couldn't wake MJ up. Within minutes the heroes of St John Rescue were at Larry's house with oxygen and administering CPR. At the same time 911 was called and Romeo Company, the Coral Bay Fire Department, was dispatched arriving just minutes later. Nearly all the emergency responders knew MJ and they're efforts to revive him were nothing short of heroic. Unfortunately MJ never regained consciousness.

A personal note from me, I spent all day Saturday with MJ and he was in great spirits. He'd been in a great mood all summer long, but he was extra excited with season about to start. He was planning food specials and brainstorming with me about special events he wanted to do. He watched his Patriots win last night and he passed away today with Larry, one of his closest friends, by his side. As I already mentioned, most the emergency responders knew MJ so he was truly surrounded by friends. In the car with Larry MJ said he didn't feel well, he laid down and then he slipped away. He passed quickly and peacefully albeit far too soon. We are deeply, deeply saddened by this loss and still in shock.

Larry is going to be in the kitchen tomorrow and the restaurant will be open. Larry feels it is best to work tomorrow rather than be alone with nothing to do. Larry is doing okay and I believe his decision to work tomorrow is best for him.

MJ always finished his work shift by doing an impersonation of a lounge singer ending a set. I am going to butcher this - please, anyone who knows this routine better than I please post it - but it always made me laugh so here goes, for MJ: "Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen. You've been a great audience. Remember to tip your servers and we'll be here all week..."

Bye MJ. This sucks. -c (Sunrise this morning, for MJ heart)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Unbelievably sad news.
Always good talking to him.
You will be missed, rest in peace.
MJ
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

RIP , MJ