Sandcastle Hotel

Travel discussion for St. John
Wolfhound

Sandcastle Hotel

Post by Wolfhound »

Has anyone stayed at the Sandcastle on Jost recently? What was your experience? We are thinking of dividing our November trip between Jost and St John. Thanks in advance for any info.
NCSue

Re: Sandcastle Hotel

Post by NCSue »

We are staying there in july - i can answer after that!!! :lol: :D
waterbug

Post by waterbug »

I have stayed at Sandcastle a couple of times in November. We have also stayed other places on Jost for a couple of days. I LOVE Sandcastle, as we won't stay anywhere else now on Jost. The beds are comfy and the showers have great water pressure. We always stay in an A/C room so can't comment on the other rooms. I am an early riser, there is nothing more beautiful to me than to make coffee and go sit on that beach and watch the sun rise. Late afternoon the beach is lovely too. Some of the best food I have had in the islands as been from there. Jost is my happy place and you can't go wrong.
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

We are headed to Yost in April & then a week in STJ !

Waterbug Have you ever stayed at the Perfect Pineapple ? That's where we are staying & I'm hoping we picked a decent place.
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
waterbug

Post by waterbug »

We have stayed at Perfect Pineapple. Ask for the room above the store as the A/C worked good in that room. We also stayed in a 2 bedroom where 1 bedroom A/C worked and our bedroom didn't. It was miserable but it was June. It is a basic room with no frills but for a couple of days it is fine. Sandcastle will run a tab for you so you dont have to have a credit card every day. Jost is a great place to go before a week on St John as we have done that several times.

Any questions, please ask.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Any time I think (or read) about the Sandcastle I remember how much I enjoyed reading Incredible Virgin Island Adventure by George F Myrick. He and his wife Marie developed and built the Sandcastle basically with their own two hands and served the first Painkillers there.

"By some delightful experimenting, Marie and I came up with a very tasty rum drink. Our mix consisted of orange juice, pineapple juice, and coconut cream. We added the coconut cream slowly until we said, "Wow, this is it!" We sloshed it over some measured ounces of rum-Mount Gay or Cruzan Gold-dealer's choice. Last, but not least, ground nutmeg was sprinkled on top. This, we decided, was a terrific house drink. Marie named our drink the Painkiller, after a local bush growing near Gusset House." Gusset House was the first house they built on Jost.

After reading the book, I always see the Soggy Dollar in a whole different time frame!
George passed away in January, 2014.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

I tried to book one night at Sandcastle's during the off season but they have a 2 night minimum. Any suggestions for a one night stay? Perfect Pineapple have minimum night requirement?
bill

Post by bill »

Hello Waterbug

We too are thinking of one week at Sandcastle before returning to St. John. Was wondering how you got to Cruz Bay. I was thinking of taking the ferry from Jost to Cruz bay. Any info you have would be helpful.

Thanks
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

See ferry schedule below between Cruz Bay and JVD.
http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/inter ... t-van-dyke
Image[/url]
bill

Post by bill »

Thank you Ed. I printed out the ferry schedule. Very helpful!!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thanks for all the great feedback. We will be there in November for three nights and then back to St John for a few more nights. I won the ACC auction for a couple nights at Gallows, so…….., I had to build from there. :D