Sahara Dust

Travel discussion for St. John
Capn Dan and Ruby

Sahara Dust

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Ok folks, been here for years, I should know this, but frankly the memory is slipping just a little. Does the Sahara dust usually let up some later in the summer?
I know it is a good thing... It means no storms, but I would risk a storm to have a few days of clear skies. One day we will get to go in October, but for now this school teacher has to stick with summers.
AquaGirl

Re: Sahara Dust

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi there,
We just returned from 2 wonderful weeks in StJ. We had wonderful views, nice temps and relatively low humidity for the first week. Then the Sahara dust showed up and wow - what a difference. It was very hazy - no more nice sunsets. The sky and horizon just looked gray. Then one night, it poured down rain for a while. We woke up the next morning to clear skies and no haze. It stayed that way up until a day or so before we left. I don't know any scientific data about how long it stays, but a rainstorm made a big difference when we were there.
Have a great trip!
Rhonda

Re: Sahara Dust

Post by Rhonda »

Have a great trip! We just returned & I am already wishing I were back. We did have a lot of Sahara Dust & I was disappointed that we didn't have more pretty sunsets. We tried going in October one year & had several days of rough,murky water because of a storm but the sunsets were beautiful. Enjoy!!