Late September visit

Travel discussion for St. John
dejavu

Late September visit

Post by dejavu »

DH & I have been to STJ 4 times and our adult daughter (2x). That being said we have only been during high season, January or February.
Our daughter and her fiancee got engaged on Valentines Day this year in STJ. They would love to go back for their honeymoon the 3rd week in September. I know its hurricane season then and no one can predict the weather but I am curious as to what experiences others have had in late September with weather related issues.
Also,are quite a lot of restaurants and things closed during that time?
Thanks in advance.
dflannell

Re: Late September visit

Post by dflannell »

We are frequent STJ visitors and in fact myself and 3 buddies will be there in two weeks. Last September our entire family consisting of myself, wife, son, daughter and her husband and our 2 year old granddaughter arrived on September 10 for 10 days. Never saw a drop of rain the entire trip other than a couple of showers late at night. It was beautiful. There was a bit of Sahara dust but very little.

We have traveled to the islands frequently during hurricane season over the past 35 years and really only had very bad luck one time in November when we went to St. Maarten/St. Martin and it rained every day for several hours. It was an awful trip. I wouldn't hesitate to schedule STJ again in September and may well return this year around the same dates.

There were several restaurants closed, but it was no big deal for us as several of our favorites were still open. Beaches were very empty on weekdays and not bad at all on the weekend.
bdkane

Re: Late September visit

Post by bdkane »

We have been to STJ in late Aug and early Sept three times and have never had a problem, actually better weather than our high season trips, One of the visits some restaurant were closed or closing that week but there were still plenty of options, The best part is the lack of visitors at the beaches...