Michigan Girls trip report April 2014 - part two

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Michigan Girls trip report April 2014 - part two

Post by michigan girls »

Part one: http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... 1iLGfldUZI

Day 3- Thursday

Reef Bay Hike day! This was just Sherry and I, with Mayra opting to have a quiet villa day to relax. We were at the NPS by 8:45 and ready to go. Just as our driver was dropping us off at the trail head, the sky opened up and it poured buckets. It poured like that for about 7 minutes, so we were soaked through for the rest of the hike. This didn't turn out to be such a bad thing, as it helped us stay cool for most of the hike. By the time we reached the Kapok tree, I decided it was dry enough to take out the camera

ImageDSC_0003-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

Plenty of lovely photo ops along the way, including this up close of Lewis and a snail (yes, all the little lizards are Lewis to me, it's a tradition)

ImageDSC_0021-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

The side trail to the petroglyphs was also our lunch stop. After a few photos, we decided to get a head start on the group and headed toward the beach on our own.

ImageDSC_0038-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

Absence of a large noisy group allowed us opportunity to see things that the larger group scares away, like this little guy.

ImageDSC_0055-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

Our stop at the ruins was pretty short, because by now the sound of the waves was calling my name. I do love the look of all the old machinery still there in these ruins

ImageDSC_0063-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

A short refreshing swim was just what I needed to cool off at the end of the hike. We decided to take the dinghy, rather than swim out to the boat as it was a little rough that afternoon. The ride back was not too bad, and we were heading back towards Coral Bay by 3PM. On our way, we came across this fisherman selling a delicious looking tuna, so we had him cut us off 3 steaks for dinner the next night.

ImageDSC_0072-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

I iced my bad ankle for awhile, as the hike had bothered it a bit, then we got ready for Miss Lucy's moonlight party and Inner Visions. They were great as always, and our crab cakes and drinks at Miss Lucy's were very good, as was the service.

ImageDSC_0089-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

Back home after to do some work before bedtime. This katydid was very interested in helping me work, I eventually gave up and shooing him away and just dealt with him being there.

ImageDSC_0103-2 by heidifunk, on Flickr

Day 4 – Friday
Today was a Lameshur day. The weather was once again perfect, and we were at the beach by 8AM. The snorkeling was not spectacular, but decent. My first trip into the water was done without my camera. This first thing I found was a very large barracuda, but while floating and watching him, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye... Eagle Ray!! Very large one moving along the edge of the sea grass. I followed him for a minute, then headed up to the beach to get my camera. Of course, once I had my camera, I could not find him again. I did find the big barracuda again.

Image100_0619-3 by heidifunk, on Flickr

As well as my favorite color parrot fish

Image100_0633-3 by heidifunk, on Flickr

I just love the underwater landscape at Lameshur, and it was calm enough today to get up close and personal with it

Image100_0668-3 by heidifunk, on Flickr

Sherry and Mayra enjoyed the beach

ImageDSC_0011-3 by heidifunk, on Flickr

We stopped at Aqua Bistro on our way home for no shower happy hour (I would credit the forum member here who came up with that term, but it has slipped my mind). An order of conch fritters, as I firmly believe they have the best ones on the island.

Image100_0676-3 by heidifunk, on Flickr

Back at the villa, we grilled up the tuna steaks and had them with peas – very yummy.
PA Girl

Re: Michigan Girls trip report April 2014 - part two

Post by PA Girl »

Are you a residential appraiser?
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I am PA Girl
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I recognized the form immediately (I was a general appraiser two jobs ago) Imagine doing appraisals on STJ!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I recognized that form too as I was a residential appraiser some years back!

Great report so far!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

:D :D :D :D :D
jmq

Post by jmq »

"no shower happy hour" haha that would be me.

Maybe its catching on...an easy task with this crowd :D
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Thanks for sharing the pics and love the trip report so far! :D
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

We also love the conch fritters at Aqua Bistro. Actually, everything we've had there has been FANTASTIC!

We discovered Lameshur last trip with Awardb (Ward) and Sylvia. EXCELLENT snorkeling!!! We'll be back for sure!

So how long was the Reef Bay Hike? How many hours? And would you recommend it? Really? Over being at a beach????
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote: So how long was the Reef Bay Hike? How many hours? And would you recommend it? Really? Over being at a beach????
We left Cruz Bay at 9:30, and were back at NPS by 3ish. Of that time, about 45 minutes were chilling at the beach at the end.

It was a nice change of pace over being at the beach all day every day. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the beach all day every day, but I actually felt like I accomplished something. It was very pretty, and nice to see a different side of the island than we're used to. The guide was funny and informative, and the hike was just strenuous enough to feel like exercise, without being too much work. I would do it again, probably not every time, but at some point.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Just as our driver was dropping us off at the trail head, the sky opened up and it poured buckets. It poured like that for about 7 minutes, so we were soaked through for the rest of the hike. This didn't turn out to be such a bad thing, as it helped us stay cool for most of the hike.
One day we were driving by the Reef Bay trail after getting drenched at Maho and there were a bunch of cars and I wondered how it would be trying to manage that hill in the pouring rain. Glad you didn't slip with your hurt ankle! Great report- sorry we never crossed paths!
BOATSRUS

Post by BOATSRUS »

MG..

Thanks for taking the time and effort for the great trip reports!...I saw that "bug" reviewing your market conditions report last nite and I think I snorted wine outta' my nose :shock: ... God bless you for working on your vaca!...I'm a general and cannot for the life of me even think about trying to work while I'm there.. but I understand that you have to "get after it while you can"...

FYI..We stayed at B/H last time and this next trip as well.. I'm still on the look-out for that dang pillow nazi!! :lol: :twisted:
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks