Miss Lucy's-the best meal we never had

Travel discussion for St. John
inuny

Miss Lucy's-the best meal we never had

Post by inuny »

We (party of 4) arrived at 7 for our reservation. We were promptly seated. All the tables were taken.

We'd heard that the service was slow, so we ordered quickly. At 8:40 our appetizers arrived. The quinoa salad was tasty but too heavily dressed. The conch fritters were not hot. The kallaloo soup was delicious.

At 9, 2 hours after arrival, we went to the manager. Our entrees had not even been started. The manager comped us the meals and we left. It wasn't just our orders that were delayed-several families at nearby tables were still awaiting their food.

We've been to miss Lucy's several times over the years without a problem. Never again
RickG

Re: Miss Lucy's-the best meal we never had

Post by RickG »

...and we've never experienced good service there. Last time we went there was because friends insisted. I was ready to milk a goat for a beverage. My oldest daughter was smart, "If we're going to Lucy's, I'm eating before we leave the villa and bringing a book." She finished her book before we saw our apps.

Lots of people love the place. I'm not one of them.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

The sunday brunch is usually good along with some mellow jazz and has a beautiful view.....aside from the starving goats in the fenced area beside the parking lot our last visit was not bad. Don't know much about cruz bay dining but earlier the better on the east end.
jclampet

Post by jclampet »

Unfortunately, we had the same experience last time we were there, We sat with another couple we did not know and we all ordered together then friends of the other couple showed up and they ordered about 20 minutes after we did. Then we waited. The last couple to show got their meal first. After nearly two hours we were running up against a deadline for a massage appointment my wife had so we told the waitress we simply could not wait any longer and were compted our drinks and went on our way... We had the Sunday brunch on a couple other stays and everything went well so I guess it is somewhat of a crap shoot...
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

RickG wrote:... I was ready to milk a goat for a beverage.
Cheers, RickG
Oh my goodness. Now THAT'S sadly hysterical!
Never been there, yous guys have furthermore convinced me to just keep on driving by, as I've always done.
Smiles-
MJ
augie

Post by augie »

We had always bypassed the place as well. In December, at the Coral Bay Bizzare Bazaar they were selling a "Mixology" card for $20 that would get you a "signature drink" at seven Coral Bay watering holes. Leslie and I, along with our friends from STT that we were spending the day with, decided to head as far west as we could and work our way back, using those cards for a Coral Bay pub crawl.

Miss Lucy's was our second stop. Michael, the bartender, said that while they didn't have a signature drink per se, he'd be glad to give us the concoction he had created for drink of the day. It was a Saturday afternoon, pretty slow, and we sat at the bar. The cheeseburger he got for his lunch looked fantastic, but we were on a strict drink and appetizer regimen, so the conch fritters (which were good) had to suffice.

Based on that visit, when our friends' parents came to visit from the states, we decided to meet them for the Sunday brunch. The saving grace was that we came readily expecting it to be an all afternoon affair - and it didn't disappoint!

As it turns out, Michael was our server that day. He let us in on the fact that Lucy's family let the employees run the restaurant during the week, and that had gotten pretty good at doing so. But the family insisted on being the "stars of the show" on Sundays and the result was a slow, unorganized, cluster...

The music was nice, the day was gorgeous, but brunch took the better part of three hours. The last round of drinks we ordered never made it.

I ran into Michael at Pickles where he was working the kitchen at lunchtime. He said that he's no longer working at Miss Lucy's. I can't say that I won't ever go there agin, but I'll certainly pick my spot if we do go, and have a backup plan, just in case.
Come see us!
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

This is really sad to read. My husband and I went to Miss Lucy's brunch last year and we loved it so much we are planning on coming this year and bringing 2 other couples with us. We had very good service and the food and drinks were great. Now here is my question. When we got there, all the tables were taken so we sat at the bar. Do you think because we were sitting at the bar, do you think maybe that's why we had good service?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I go to Miss Lucy's at least once every trip and have never experienced slow service/non-existant food. That said, we have never gone to the brunch or to dinner, we always go for lunch during the week. So if you want to try her food, maybe go for a weekday lunch? I really like her soups, the grouper reuben, the Friis Bay platter, and the crunch fish, and the view cannot be beat! Sorry that others have not had the good experiences that we did.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We have been going to Miss Lucy's for several years. This year we went twice for lunch and once for Supper. We love lunch but will probably not go back for supper. We sat outside for supper and the warm breeze and view was very romantic. Food was just average. We ate in about a hour.We went one time for brunch and was not impressed.

Lunch I love the grouper reuben and homemade fries are a must for me. We usually snorkel Kiddle and Grootpan and make sure we are at Miss Lucy's by 1130. That is the key to beat the rush. We usually plan to be there at least a hour. We actually have timed how long it takes per order and it usually takes 10 min per table. The view is one of our favorites while waiting. So if you arrive and all tables are taken and no one has food yet it will be a long wait. To me it is worth it if we are not in a hurry. When we know it is going to be a while we have ordered and walked along the beach.

I will add the one time my grown children and daughter-in -law was with us they all said it was one of their favorites.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We love brunch! We have not been any other time. I have not heard great things about the evening meal. :?
steve

Post by steve »

This is so sad to hear. You may recall Guy Walsh was the co-owner and worked tirelessly daily to keep miss Lucy's running well. He passed away January 2014 after a long battle with cancer. I suspect we are feeling the loss of his leadership.
Steve, St John frequent flyer
SusieQT

Post by SusieQT »

We were there two weeks ago for a light lunch on a Friday. We arrived around 11am & the service & food were terrific! Loved the chicken roti.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

This was on my short list for our next visit. I am not sure I would like to give up 3 hours of island time waiting for food!
Maybe I will consider going for early lunch instead. Thanks for the report!