St John vs. St Croix

Travel discussion for St. John
bushz

St John vs. St Croix

Post by bushz »

I'm sure this has been asked a couple hundred times, but here goes. I went on vacation in December to St. John for the first time. I rented a villa up in the hills. What a ride that was. I was close to Cruz Bay and had a great view. I drove into town every night and that was fine but I wish I was staying on the beach which is a very limited option.

My question is what are the main diferences between these two islands? What is the best area to stay and are they close to town?

any info would help
dejavu

Re: St John vs. St Croix

Post by dejavu »

We've been to STJ 3 times (2008,2009 & 2010) with our 4th trip starting in 12 days.
We've been to STX 2 times (2011 & 2013).
Simple answers to your questions would be to stay on the East End, the nicest area IMHO. Christensted is about a 15-20 min ride each way. Fredeicksted is further , 30-45 min without traffic. There are good restaurants and bars on the east end and certainly in Christensted. Villa prices are more reasonable in STX as are car rentals. You can actually stay right on the water but I would suggest something higher up but still with a fabulous view as the no see ums are awful.
The first time I visited STX I really missed STJ but we went back again the next year because it is more reasonable ( I think STJ has gotten crazy expensive during high season) and we had a really great time.
The islands are more similar than different but STX is a lot bigger geographically. Good snorkeling and beaches on both. Beautiful villas on both. Great bars & restaurants on both.
I know there are a lot of folks on this board who will disagree with me but I like STX and I think it gets a bad rap as the ugly step child of STJ. It's a beautiful island with a lot to offer.
PL3

Post by PL3 »

St Thomas is the big city.

St John is the wealthy suburb.

St Croix is the country.

Check here;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums ... __2E__html
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

My trip to STX was a stay at Carambola resort. It is on the beach but not a place to snorkel...rocky and only one area to go in and rough waves. We visited someone on the other side of the island and the beach was beautiful and calm. Now their place was the pits and the beach was a local hangout. Opposite of the secluded upscale place we were at. Depends on your wants. We did a lot of driving to go elsewhere to eat since the resort is in a secluded area. It was a nice trip but it was also free. Spending my money the choice would be STJ each time. Smaller, quieter more me.