Grocery stores, bakery?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Grocery stores, bakery?

Post by northerngal »

Should we just shop st star Fish or is there another place? Is there a bakery around?
lprof

Re: Grocery stores, bakery?

Post by lprof »

Bakery: Baked in the Sun
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/s ... -map.shtml

In the Marketplace, you might want to check out Sam and Jack's Deli (third floor)
http://samandjacksdeli.com/Stjohndeli.html

Other grocers in Cruz Bay are Pine Peace and Dolphin ( I have not been to either) and a market closer to the Westin, St John Market.

Although this link is from a villa site it may be helpful:
http://www.greatexpectationsusvi.com/st ... ood-stores
... no longer a stranger to paradise
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Baked in the Sun is my absolute favorite!!
Jenn, News of St. John
CHM

Post by CHM »

We usually shop at all the stores. Meat and the big shopping day at Starfish and other things at the closest store or...which ever store has the item. We are always on a quest for limes. St. John market is our second favorite for groceries. We usually pick up daily ice, water, and beer at Pine Peace or St John Market. Dolphin usually has LIMES! I wish I could find Diet Dr. Pepper. Have fun!
pipergal

Post by pipergal »

IMHO Bring as much as you can with you- we are eating 1/2 our dinners at home and most breakfasts and lunches we make and take. I Hate spending my precious vacation time in markets- plus certain things are so expensive! - cereal granola bars trailmix/nuts pasta tortillas English muffins coffee all pack great . And of course we are cooler people. I also provision so we can get there and relax - eggs chips water salsa fruit milk booze - worth its weight in gold,not shopping, waiting to check out, no humping groceries. Hope this helps!
Pipergal
kklay

Post by kklay »

Starfish does have some nice fresh bread. We especially like their English muffin bread for toast in the morning. It's yummy!
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

News of St. John wrote:Baked in the Sun is my absolute favorite!!
Baked in the Sun is our favorite also. "KO" opens 6:00 AM till 3:00 PM Mon-Sat, closed Sunday. She can make any cake or special request that is absolutely the best. St. John Market has come a long way since when they first opened. Very well stocked, lower prices on most items and always have limes when other stores are out. We be back April 10th! :D
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I also adore Baked in the Sun. That said, however, I find her hours problematic for me sometimes as I prefer to do my shopping later in the afternoon. If we miss out on Baked in the Sun, you can get some pretty good bread at Starfish, which is my favorite grocery store. I got a garlic asiago there once that was super yummy with some butter and a cold beer.

If you're on the Coral Bay side, Love City mini mart has a surprisingly large selection. It kinda looks like a dive on the outside, but they pack an awful lot into that place and they're very nice. My mom went there with me last year looking for some kind of soda pop they didn't have at Starfish - I can't remember what it was now - anyway, they had it there and the price was pretty reasonable.
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

On the Coral Bay side, we use Luv City market for daily basics. It IS amazing how much they pack in there, and if you don't see it, just ask. They're very nice. Also, the Calabash market re-opened about 8 weeks ago. (1/2 way to Shipwreck). Didn't check all the prices, but they had really fresh produce the day we were there, and a nice little deli selection. We always go to Josephine's to get fresh organic greens, fruits, and vegetables. We were amazed at the reasonable prices at Dolphin market for fresh meats (chicken and pork), and produce, and they had some inexpensive local brands of juices. Packaged and canned foods were about the same prices as everywhere else. But we got 12 fresh chicken thighs for $6, and 4 huge pork shoulder steaks to teriyaki on the grill for about $10. Haven't been to the bakery, but we pick up those little loaves of banana bread, made locally, at Luv City.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

The new Calabash grocery store is nice too. Has a nice little deli section and selection of wines and liquors. The owners were very nice when I stopped I. One night when I was babysitting out that way!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

EagleRayLover wrote:The new Calabash grocery store is nice too. Has a nice little deli section and selection of wines and liquors. The owners were very nice when I stopped I. One night when I was babysitting out that way!
I'm intrigued by this, as we are staying in Calabash Boom this year. Do they have all kinds of groceries? Like, chicken breast, lunch meat, etc? Might be kind of nice to skip Starfish on arrival day and just go there on our way to the villa?

My needs are pretty basic - chicken, lunch meat, bread, milk, veggies, Red Stripe and Rum...