Wife's Birthday Dinner!

Travel discussion for St. John
vi lover

Wife's Birthday Dinner!

Post by vi lover »

Going to be on-island in February celebrating my wife's 50th birthday! We have a total of 4 couples on this trip. Friday will be her birthday, and I'm looking for restaurant recommendations.

Here are some details:
*She is allergic to Shellfish.
*We have been to Morgan's Mango too many times to make that the "place"
*We went to Rhumblines last year, and she was not impressed
*She's "cheap" (ie - had a fabulous dinner at ZoZo's several trips ago and she was upset that the bill for 2, with tip, was $125. (but this time, I'm not going to let her see the bill, so that's not going to be an issue!)
*We had a previous B-Day celebration for her on STT at Banana Tree Grille and she LOVED it. (yes - I love my wife and try to make it all very special)
*We also LOVED Craig & Sally's on STT (as a reference only)

Ok forumites - what say ye? Is there a great recommendation on St. John?
Xislandgirl

Re: Wife's Birthday Dinner!

Post by Xislandgirl »

Lime Inn?
P-600

Post by P-600 »

The Banana Deck or Ocean Grille.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

Ted (Ted's Supper Club) at your villa. Did this for my 40th birthday. Met with Ted prior to set the menu and paid him up front including tip. That's not his usual MO, but I didn't want to deal with the whole awkward payment thing in front of everyone. He came, fixed the best meal I've ever had, cleaned it all up and left. No hassle. It was perfect. Pricey but perfect.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I absolutely love the Banana Deck and Ocean Grill. I guess for a special dinner I would probably go Oceean Grill as it is a bit more upscale. Either way food is great! Enjoy, hope you all have a blast!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Other than Zozo's already mentioned, I would add La Tapa, Waterfront Bistro and The Terrace to your list of restaurants to consider,
Image[/url]
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Will it be all four couples going out?

I love the Ocean Grill for lunch but based on my February dinner experience there, I would call ahead to make sure they can seat your table in a comfortable area. When we were there for dinner, the restaurant was half empty but the hostess insisted on seating us (and the parties that came in behind us) one on top of another, we were seriously crowded. It was weird, uncomfortable and unnecessary.

By "cheap" do you also mean she prefers less fancy food? (in my family, it goes hand and hand) I ask because we had a lovely Valentine's Day by going to Caneel for sunset drinks and then to the Beach Grill for pizza and sushi. Now, this was not "reasonable" on the price scale but it was relaxed and special.

Would she enjoy staying in or is part of the celebration the "going out" aspect of the night? If so, I would take her out. Although the private chef route is the best way to skirt the cost issue. (I completely understand this, I hide the cost of gifts for my mom all the time as she can't enjoy something if it "costs too much" in her eyes.)

Maybe it isn't an issue with your group but the one thing that has kept us from doing a private chef was no one could agree on the menu, at that price point, everyone in my group wanted what they wanted so we end up going out.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

My new favorite is the Lime Inn! The prices are reasonable, food and service are excellent!!!!
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

How about something on the east end. Aqua Bistro, Miss Lucy's, Sweet Plantains, Shipwreck Landing. Get away from Cruz Bay for the quiet end side of the island. They all have excellent food. My favorite location is Miss Lucy's where you can sit under the stars next to the beach.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Ted's Supper Club is really unforgettable! It is an "experience" not just a "meal"

If you want to head out I would consider Cruz Bay Prime, also excellent
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

If you want to stay in town I'l second the suggestion for La Tapa. We've never had a disappointing meal there. If you don't mind the drive to the east end I suggest Sweet Plantains. Friday is Caribbean curry night, our favorite.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
cliffnchristi

Post by cliffnchristi »

Banana Deck or High Tide
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Thanks for all of the responses!

It will be all 4 couples going out for dinner together for the celebration.

When I say she's "cheap" (and it's an endearing quality), I mean she does not find enjoyment in a $35 per plate meal when a $15 meal will do. That isn't to say that she doesn't enjoy going out. We just tend to go to Applebee's instead of our local white table cloth restaurants. We've been to STJ often so we're calibrated to the typical menu price.

She will definitely want to go out on her birthday. The experience of going out is as important as the meal to her. Y'know - a little shopping before dinner, pre-dinner cocktails then being served a nice meal in a quiet restaurant with great friends...

I've heard consistent positive reviews of La Tapa. That just might be the place. If Cafe Roma is reopened by February, that's a second option, I think. I'll also check out some of your other recommendations.

Thanks again!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

La Tapa is always good.

During your pre-dinner strolling, go to Motu if you haven't been there yet. Very good drinks and a nice wine by the glass list. The view is nice over the water and it is fun watching the world go by.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

I'm not familiar with Motu, where is it? Always like to find a new place to have a drink.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.