Annaberg Sugar Mill Ruins.

Travel discussion for St. John
sku01pt

Annaberg Sugar Mill Ruins.

Post by sku01pt »

Give me the do's and dont's....bee's? Bugs ?
michigan girls

Re: Annaberg Sugar Mill Ruins.

Post by michigan girls »

Never had any problems with bees or bugs there. It can be incredibly hot though, so bring plenty of water. I'm headed there tomorrow afternoon, if the weather looks good for it. I'll post again if I notice any other issues
hugo

Post by hugo »

There's usually an active bee hive high up on one of the walls,but they're not aggressive at all. Sandflies can be very bad late in the day,due to the neighboring ponds and wetlands.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

When we tried to visit Annaberg (I think it was July 15th), the site was closed and barricaded off. There was a big sign saying it was closed due to bees. I'd never seen that happen before.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

We were just there about a week ago and the sign said something like taking down bee hive enter at your own risk. My husband is allergic so he waited for us down in the jeep. I only saw a few bees just flying around. By now I would think it would be fine.
rImage
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We encountered swarms of mosquitos in the parking lot once in July, so bad the ranger booth was closed and we didn't need to pay the entry fee. We were coated in spray and the skeeters weren't too bad around the ruins.
inuny

Post by inuny »

We were there yesterday. The sign about bees enter at your own risk was still up. The ruins were safe. However, down at the beach (Leinster bay)' there were bees all over the flowering trees by the beach (where you put your chair). But they didn't bother us.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

We were snorkeling Leinster today from Captain John's boat, and there was a bee on my mask when I picked it up to put it on. I had him crawl onto my hand then gently sent him off. He wasn't aggressive at all. We haven't made it up to Annaberg yet. We probably won't now, because my oldest has an irrational fear of bees. He'll see that sign and refuse to continue on.