power (not electric) outage and papabou's 3rd day

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

power (not electric) outage and papabou's 3rd day

Post by papabou »

the afternoon power outage was not the grid, just mack and me.

a little erata ( not erotica) before reporting on today's activities. woke up with a clearer head though sky's overcaste. 3 errors in prior reports. first, mack's main body suit is black (not royal blue like the old one) but of course it has a royal blue stripe down the sleeves and his after dipping sunshirt is royal blue, but you still can't miss him. hope my defective info didn't cost a nyone a siteing. second, king hill rd comes into centerline just to west of smoothie stand but who cares. third, we can't see mary point to north from villa, only jost, whistling cay, & and a lot of water. having my glasses changed as soon as we get home.
now on today's advertures. late start because sometime on saturday our potable water was poisoned with alcohol. no matter what we tried to drink, alcohol was mixed in. someone clearly crossed up plumbing here. only planned half day activity, to retain flexibility and acknowledge than in jimmy b's words "indecision may or may not be our problem". being aware that there were some dark clouds off to east from which comes our weather, we packed lightly (down to 3 beers in cans) we headed off to trunk bay ( having previously checked the crusie ship schedule and knew no ship on sunday). we still had enough grey cells to pack a second cooler with "beer in a bottle" that goes with dogs on a stick for the trunk bay parking lot tail gate party. though not crowded, after a nice leisurely snorkel, we scurried away just before the rain and into a line of people awaiting seat assignments on beach. they were obviously flying discount tickets hoping for good free upgrades. we told a young mother with 8 kids under 10 and a husband with a big grin about the shaded little place nearby under the seagrapes we had vacated. the mother smiled, the dad grinned, the kids screamed and ran to the water. mack and i realized we'd made a mistake, the family of 10 would be a family of 11 in 9 months. enough of the repo habits of the young and restless.
after closing down the parking lot party when the last bottle of beer was gone, we had a tough decision; back to the east along n shore to columbo's and nap time at the villa or head off into the sunset toward cruz bay and a second visit with the slimman parking lot attendant before going back to the views from the bar at joe's rum hut. mack had a suggestion that the west end of the bar should be enclosed with a mirrored wall instead of an open view to the bay. logical in mack's simple brain, since a mirror behind would allow him to see the attractive wait staff coming and going. uph, 2 more big g combos and another side of fries. though we are now in a rut with burgers from skinny's, big g's from joe's and the traditional smoothies with free rum at colombo's, we did venture out with a new cocktail selection - pain killers. can you believe 15th trip before i tasted the necture of the gods? the second time mack fell off his stool while drooling (sp) at dregory from penn, we realized it was time to go.
we found our way out of roundabout headed up centerline road with fond memories and a kownledge if we turned left at the 1st dumpster pass bord overlook we would soon be back at our home away. we abandoned the pg jeep by the dumpster and walked up 'roughly paved" mamey peak rd to villa rather than subject our full bladders to a pounding. we did have the foresight to turn that green thing around so we could get a running start toward columbo's the next time out.
mean while i'm pecking away with a blowing rain and limited visibity outside the window and mack's down in the servant's quarters recharging his batteries (naptime) with what would be visions of the bar view at joe's.
will we make an appearance at the beach bar later today? maybe if the rain stops and the refrig door stays closed if not, maybe next trip. will we at a beach tomorrow? yup, it's our duty the same as usps employees to "deliveer the mail" no matter what the weather.
enough for now.

papabou
Nancie-Pa

Re: power (not electric) outage and papabou's 3rd day

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Oh my gosh! I so wish I could be on Island the same time as you two...you're a hoot!
Enjoying your posts, except for the belly aches from laughing too much! :lol:
Looking forward to more.
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I'm with Nancie. Can y'all stay til we get down there? I'd LOVE to hang out with y'all! :wink:
Such fun(ny) guys!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

• giggle giggle giggle snort! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

H my gosh! I logged in from the very middle of nowhere, on a very dark day, to say thank you! Great report :)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

OH my gosh. Sorry. iPad typing not so easy!
papabou

Post by papabou »

minde, "do you remember" (sung as opening line of sea of love) I offered a group gathering last year and no one took me up. granted you responded half heartedly, just to appease an old man who probably reminded you of your father or perhaps granddad). no takers, no trip last fall. no one offered to come along this year so i'm stuck with mack. wife says don't encourage us because we eventually find our way home and they have already had to live with us over 46 yrs. but we DO APPRECIATE THE RECOGNITION, IF NOT ON BEACH AT LEAST ON VIOL1

sct, dont'y cry. didn't I see you too soon come. enjoy. plus I assume you are from the Columbia sc area from your handle (i'm clever since the whole family went to ga and we all hate steve spurrier) that guy should have stayed in fl. i'm sure you'll be making a trip sooon to al. to see all your cousins since only thing that separates the incest in ala from sc is ga, pull off in I-20 in Covington and ask for the nearest trailer park, we'll be close by. if anyone in al is offended by my comments i'm sorry and ask your legislator to sponsor a bill outlawing marrying 1st cousins.

leslie, I had a pm, from augie. after a little haggling we agreed to a one night swap. he's going to ga to spend night with my wife (fortunately for him it's a long drive) and I get to stay home here on mamey peak enjoying the view. he did offer to pay for all I could drink tomorrow at skinny's as boot. that boy's a tough trader. surprised he hasn't sold fl home yet. recond it's the sink hole next door?

I had planned to do a post about today's adventures (including losing drivers license in the 600 yards between smoothie stand and the villa and I was driving, explain that! and I refuse to talk about yesterday's missing electric yellow brand new swim shirt) but running low (yet still on bar stool at computer) so good night unless some clever thoughts come to mind.

I never realized how much work vacationing was.

for now,

papabou
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Enjoying your style...I need a pic of you and Mack to put with the great stories!
suzanna945

Post by suzanna945 »

This may be the single best trip report series ever to appear in this forum. I can't wait to read more! :)
papabou

Post by papabou »

you asked for it!

c'smom and all our other fanz,

we have had numerous requests to post pics, 1 here, 1 pm and dozens in our dreams. unfortunately no pics on computer, the camera is among lost merchandise on this trip and wives said if they even heard about us showing our faces, using our real names or home town, Or heard of anyone in ctown asking about our trip to the islands (everyone there knows we're gone not just to stj), they (wives, noone else has spoken in yrs) would never speak to us again. and that was only third prize.
we know you are curious, but we are still on probation in aa and must continue to be incognito. so maybe think of steve martin (that's me, the wild and crazy guy,) and martin short (not really mack, ms is too short and handsome) in 3 amigos. got the picture.
wasn't planning on posting today's adventures but since you asked:
not sure what happened yesterday late after our return from joe's and that view. seems like there was a lot of rain on mamey and at shipwreck where we subjected ourselves to the locals who had absolutely no appreciation of who we were even though the viol regs were clamoring for our authographs. mack says we enjoyed fine dining with the front wind screen down to block the view ( or was it the rain). what's the point of dining at sw if you can't see the habor.
at least i woke up this morning all rested and clear headed (no hair on top). realized internet out here so couldn't read & answer fan mail so we did the next best thing: road trip to let folks see the real thing.
1st stop hawksnest for the obvious reason that when the can beer cooler was empty we had a short walk to pg jeep and the bottle beer. we maybe a lot of things but we do abide by the local rules. we dressed at the villa for quick entry at beach but the just in case you didn't filmed us so you could get back in slow motion: i was in my light grey columbia trunks (gift from baby daughter who is praying i have no plans to move in with her), my new navy blue uv/suv protection sun shirt (i was due to wear the yellow one today but it was somehow misplaced but i know i had it monday at trunk bay, it was the envy of the locals), and the tradtional black & white paisley (skull & cross bones are just crass) dorag to protect the bald head. after i realized i was having difficulty navagating, i went back ashore to get my mask, snorkel and fins).
mack? you would all have been pleased. sameoh, sameoh though the darktoned (it was royal blue last time)body suit that is fading fast. though he's quiet dapper in his red mask, fins, bright yellow life jacket (standard issue) and top half of his shorty scuba wet suit, the boy had on so much stuff he needed about 15 pounds of weights to keep his face in the water. we floated around the 2 reefs right out front (so we would feel at home) for awhile (not long for those of you new here) then back for our fav beverage in a can. we rested under the magnolias along the shore (the wife will be p.o.ed they had stopped blooming when i tell her). we talked for a while, scared a couple of families finding their way and figured we had enough time to give the folks over at gibney something to see. snooty lot there, not appreciative so we mad ugly faces at a few smaller folks and swam back to our safe base at hawksnest.
cruz bay was closer to hawksnest than the smoothie stand so off to the east we go. unforunately slimmans lot had a different attendant who did not reconize us so not only could we not pay on return, he required a $5 min payment, $2 tip ( he would have done better if he trusted us but i guess he was afraid we'd drink up the remaining cash) AND a $50 deposit. something about the police probably coming by and asking him to descibe the drivers of the pg jeep as if were the only one on island.
we found our way to joe's rum hut. the wait staff changed shifts when they saw us coming and brought in the newbbies. naaa, they were glad to see us for the 3rd straight day though mack cried when he learned dregory from penn was off. he calmed down when they brought his 1st painkiller and big g. me i know better than to order the sameoh 3 days straight (the waitstaff may think you are casing the place or have no taste whatsoever).
we remembered from yesterday's adventure that we needed to stop by the pottie before heading out to mamey peak, so we did (not together but in succession). by now we've mastered the exit from slimmans (the attendant stops traffic from right so we can get out during one shift) and the roundabout - turn left on entry then the second left uphill). we need one of those roundabouts back home, probably expensive so can't figure why city council hasn't though of). we were immediately cleared to leave cruz bay and thus away we went on centerline road. enroute (kind of like an ensuite bath in some of the fancy villas), we discussed the pros & cons of going home on beautiful mamey peak or sliding into the smoothies truck for, what else but a smoothie and free rum. regular lady apparently heard we planned to stay in area till thursday, so they too brought in new waitstaff to get a weeks training from just 2 likely customers. did the usual traditional but they were out of something (maybe mango). mack subbed extra strawberry and me remembering my last painkiller subbed pineapple. she shooed us along but there was a family of 8 waiting patiently behind us. apparently word is speading fast over this small island since no one would come close enough for to talk to them. being bored, we departed for the short drive to mamey and "home".
being somewhat forgetful and remembering the yellow l l bean shirt worn only once that went missing yesterday, we took inventory shortly after we casually moved stuff from the pg jeep to the villa's grande entrance. only one thing missing - my money clip with the remains of the day ( a 5 & 4 ones) and my driver's license. know i left earlier today with the license and our dailey allowance of under $100 in small bills so it looks like a wad so we can honestly tell our wives we never spent more that $100 per day on average. it's amazing how cheap you can get by on travel days going to the crowne room at atl and eating airplane peanuts.
all's well that ends well. since license last seen at columbo' which is only a 2 miute drive over a roughly pave road, 1st place to look would be at the smoothie stand. no luck there, they saw me coming and dropped the shutters and posted a sign, "closed for the season". i still looked to no avail ( not to be confused with that snooty ski palce in colorado). told those still milling around i'd give a dollar reward for the license and all my money, but no takers but they knew i meant business.
back home to the breeze and thoughts of all not being lost. we got a counter full of food, a few beers and an unopen bootle of rum.
as i said earlier, all's well that ends well. well as i typed away here on my trusty laptop i thanked the gods that i had put her away before leaving today to help insure she wouldn't be lifted in my absence. then i had a thought, how did the laptop get to the kitchen and was it possible my $9 and drivers license may have been set aside when i was retriving laptop. end of story but i'm not talling mack since we have a ledger of daily expenditures that we split regularly. $9 divided by 2 that he thinks is gone, means i'm $4.50 ahead for the day.
over and out.
papabou
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

You are a rock star!

And GO COCKS! :wink:
jenxogirl

Post by jenxogirl »

So sad you're leaving the day we arrive...have Mack wear the wetsuit in the airport so we can buy you a drink!

What time are you leaving?