Is this a huge mistake?

Travel discussion for St. John
GidgetPicklebrain

Is this a huge mistake?

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

I FINALLLY have a ticker with a STJ destination, after 10 long years since our first and only trip! :D
So it will be 4 nights at Guavaberry on Virgin Gorda followed by 7 nights at Island Time villa in Devers Bay.

I am looking at airfare from the DC area to STT, arriving in time to catch the 5:00 ferry from Charlotte Amalie to Virgin Gorda.

Spirit Airlines has a great deal but I am reluctant to deal with the nickle-and-dime hassels. Jet Blue has what looks like a not too bad deal, arriving in STT at 3:59 pm. Carryon only so getting to the ferry by 5:00 should not be an issue. But I am concerned about the return trip from STT to DC. They have us departing STT 5:04 pm arriving at SJU 5:50 pm. At SJU we change planes, still with Jet Blue, and depart for DC at 6:16. That gives us something like 26 minutes to change planes in SJU. Am I crazy to even consider this? It would cost more, but I coul dtake an earlier Cape Air flight to SJU to give us more time for plane-switching.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Charlie2001

Re: Is this a huge mistake?

Post by Charlie2001 »

I'd book it, but only if I wanted to spend the night in San Juan after missing my connection. I'm surprised the airline would consider this a valid connection in the first place. Keep in mind that they usually close the doors 10 minutes prior to departure, so that's really only 16 minutes to connect.

My opinion? Don't even attempt it.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Well, as you know, there are no guarantees in regards to looking into the future, but here's my view. If the connection is one that the airline actually promotes, then you should be good. They don't give you an option that they don't think is doable. If you were changing airlines in 26 minutes I'd say it's a no go, but Jet Blue no doubt schedules their flights so that the schedules work.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

My guess is the flight is landing 20 minutes earlier (this way always on-time arrival) :roll:
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

My 2cents. On a return trip from STJ we had a Miami connection that was originally an hour, long after booking (and right before the trip) there was a schedule change that reduced it to 40 minutes. Which we didn't realize until checking in at STT and they wouldn't book us through due to the shortness of time. After a 25 minutes on the phone with the airline (counter agent couldn't/wouldn't help us), and sweating some bullets in the chaos of STT airport during check-in, we were able to board the original flight to miami, but from then on the connecting legs were all different.

Not sure what the exact cutoff time for connections are 45 min? But anything shorter and you may run into problems at the counter.

However you did make a good choice with Island Time in Devers, stayed there in 09. Fabulous sunsets.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

I flew JetBlue with the same narrow connection timeframe in SJU last month and it went off smoothly. JetBlue operates out of a single, small terminal in SJU so no gate is very far from another...

My experience doesn't guarantee yours will be the same, but I don't think you can compare this to making an American Airlines connection in Miami as the terminal they use there is huge.

I think that JetBlue, as a smaller airline, is also a little more focused on making sure their passengers make their connections...

Just my opinion, but having done it once, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

As a side note, the "economy" seats on the JetBlue aircraft that I flew on were far more comfortable than any I've ever flown on American...
GidgetPicklebrain

After careful consdieration I'm nixing the 26 minute conneciton. It would be a source of stress for me - who needs it. i've been trying all sorts of combinations of airlines to get me from here to there. The best I can seem to come up with booking each leg separately is $717 per - Yikes! I foiund a good American Airline round trip that fits well with the ferry schedule we are tied to, but it is $626 per person - that still seems a bit high to me.

Do I wait for a price drop on a trip a little over three months away? Is there likely to be a price drop at some point between now and then or should I just bite the bullet now?

TouristTrapCheryl

Post by TouristTrapCheryl »

Be careful as to your incoming flight.
Having carry-on only does not guarantee you can just walk out of the airport, get in a taxi and go.
The taxis wait to depart until they are full and may make several stops dropping off other taxi passengers before they drop you off at the ferry.
It's not like arriving in another city airport where you walk out, get in a cab and go straight to your destination.

If you are catching a ferry to Virgin Gorda than you are probably going to the international ferry dock near downtown Charlotte Amalie.
That is much closer to the airport than the Redhook ferry dock and would probably involve fewer stops for other passengers en route.

I am no expert on this as I live here and always go to Redhook form the airport.
Ask on the forum how much time you need from your scheduled flight landing time
to catch the ferry and specify where you are catching the ferry. -cheryl
-cheryl

vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

I have a friend who works at an airline and she has said many times, " if the time between connecting flights is 30 minutes and under, they will more than likely cancel that connection." On that note, if it was me, I would look into the other connecting flight to give you more time in between and less hassles later.
My Heart is in St. John!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I"ve ben on this flight one time and they held the connecting flight for us as we were late getting in.
Tom
GidgetPicklebrain

I decided that I did not want to worry about connections or possible future fare drops. This is a No Worries vacation.

I've got flight down on US Airways out of DCA at 9:10 in the morning and putting us in STT at 3:15. That gives us plenty of time to get ourselve to the Charlotee Amalie ferry to Virgin Gorda at 5:00. We will be met at hte ferry with our rental vehicle, and drive to Guavaberry from there.

Our returnflight is on American Airlines, departing STT at 2:00 pm and arriving at DCA at 9:30 pm. We should be home by midnight, and are tkaing the following day off to recover.

WooHoo! This is really happening! I am so psyched. I've never planned a trip on such short notice before.