Rental car companies

Travel discussion for St. John
CHM

Rental car companies

Post by CHM »

Please recommend your favorite rental car company on St. John including if they offer parking. We are thinking of trying a different company this year. Thanks!
PaminMaine

Re: Rental car companies

Post by PaminMaine »

We like Varlack. They are very laid back, steps from the ferry dock and they have a few parking spots that are available right on the side walk in front of the business.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

ST John Car Rental, they have parking and are great!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Xislandgirl wrote:ST John Car Rental, they have parking and are great!
+1

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We like Courtesy car rental on St. John. They are very friendly, have great vehicles, pick us up and drop us off at the dock, and provide us with a great service with their jeep-cam! They allow parking in their lot, but it's a bit out of the way, up by the traffic circle. Not too far to walk at all.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Another plug for Courtesy for the reasons mentioned above, and because we have an established history with them and have always been treated very well. That being said, we used Cool Breeze during our last visit because Courtesy was sold out. Although they don't use email confirmation (Courtesy does) which seemed a little strange when I booked, I was pleasantly surprised when one of the employees ran to the ferry dock to return an item I had accidentally left in the car upon return. FYI - Cool Breeze also offers in-town parking.
CHM

Post by CHM »

Thank you!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I am thinking of switching to Courtesy this trip because we are renting a car for 2 weeks (CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE!).
Courtesy offers a 10% discount for the time we will be on island.
How does that pick up at the dock work? They pick you up and take you to their office for paperwork and such?

Anyone have any info on a Grand Vitara? Is that similar to the Liberty?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Yes, MBW, you call them when you get on the ferry, and they pick you up at the ferry dock. When leaving, they'll hold your luggage if you want to do last minute shopping, then give you and your luggage a ride down to the ferry dock. Great people, great service!
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

We always use St. John, it's just so convenient and their cars have always been good.
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

We're very happy Courtesy customers. I was a little surprised to rent the same exact Jeep this year as last, but it was a great vehicle. We enjoyed the walk past the school... and Woodys. Didn't know about the ferry dock drop off and will have to check that out next time. They also have a discount if paying in cash.
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

Has anyone ever rented a car from L & L Jeep rental? If so how were they?
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

We have only used L&L and one other company. When I had to use the other company because I procrastinated booking my jeep, I realized just how much I like L&L. They meet you at the dock with the jeep and meet you there to drop it off. They do not have parking but we visit in off season and have no problems parking. We always get new(er) jeeps with L&L. They are good about working through the internet and email also.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

Anyone used Avis in St Thomas?
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Another vote for St John Car Rental. They have always been excellent, gave us a discount one year because we had a problem with the rear hatch (we didn't ask) and sometimes offer cash discounts. I don't know about pickup at the dock because we are usually in Cruz Bay the night before we pick up the car but they are a very short walk from the dock near the Beach Bar and Grande Bay. They do have parking but it is a small lot- we just parked in the public lot near the car ferry- it is a short walk to eveything in Cruz Bay.