7 Passenger Rental Cars

Travel discussion for St. John
khud

7 Passenger Rental Cars

Post by khud »

My family and I (2 adults, 5 young adults) are coming to STJ in April. The last time we came we rented a Jeep Commander figuring that a 7 passenger vehicle would fit 7 people. Not so. The rear seats had NO leg room and must've been made for midgets. We were going to rent 2 vehicles this time but if we can save money with one that will indeed fit 7 comfortably, then we will go for it. Has anyone rented a Dodge Durango or Nissan Pathfinder and transported 7 passengers with ease? We are staying on the west end this trip so initially transporting luggage can be done in 2 trips.
visitstj

Re: 7 Passenger Rental Cars

Post by visitstj »

We've done the mini-van "thing" before with good success carting 7 adults. There was even space behind the 3rd row seat for coolers and beach chairs. It not being 4WD was not an issue. I don't recall who on STJ may still be renting these vehicles.
khud

Post by khud »

They all seem to have switched to the large SUV's. I'd get a minivan in a microsecond.
jan

Post by jan »

We have rented a safari truck in the past that has fit 7 to 8 adults with Cool Breeze. For our next trip we went with Denzil Clyne with the safari truck but the one they have has room for 4 in the trucks front cab and 4 in the back of the truck with side benches and a canopy above.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

We have rented a Durango on STJ on 2 different trips. We had 6 adults ( grown-ups) and it worked out pretty good. Not sure about 7...
" I believe there's Magic here...."
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

We've resigned ourselves to renting a Jeep Liberty and a Wrangler for our group of 7. We figure we will all be comfortable that way, and if we have days we want to go in 2 different directions then we'll be all set.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I am not sure you will want to rent 1 vehicle with a group like that. I'm sure there will be a point at which you want to go separate ways and will wish you had two vehicles.
However, I will tell you that I have had seven people in a Durango with luggage AND groceries. That wasn't comfortable. But, trips out and to the beach were fine (we did fit a cooler and 1-2 beach chairs). Granted, two people were in car seats, so leg room wasn't an issue for us, but seat room was fine. I sat in the way back most times (I'm 5'3" 115 lb), and I fit fine with one other person, usually my BIL who is 6'0" 240 lb. He was a little squished and had to rotate his legs toward me.
Discount also had a Chevy Traverse, which is supposed to seat 8. I've never seen it, though.
Tickerless :(
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We have done the Durango, Jeep Comander and the 'Cadillac of Minivans' Dodge Caravan. This year with our crew we are doing the Caravan again...more space...ease of entry for my 76 yr old mom and we're not doing any 4 wheeling. As Chili Palmer says' It's the Cadillac of Minivans'...so much more room and space. Only downside is not being able to roll down the rear windows...we'll just leave the side doors open.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

When we were younger, thinner and most importantly more agile we( The Magnificent 7) used to rent the 7 passenger Mitshubishi on all of the islands where we traveled and we did just fine. Of course the women had to sit on the beach towels and some beach bags, and someone had to sit on that little fold down seat in the second row,and the beach chairs were bungeed on the roof but we were young and strong and looking for fun. Where did those times go??? Could it have been 20 years now? Now it's canes, walkers and don't hit any potholes 'cause my a$$ bone will hurt for days. LOL!!! But we're still coming. We just rent two cars now.
Mar

Post by Mar »

Bigcheeze wrote:We have done the Durango, Jeep Comander and the 'Cadillac of Minivans' Dodge Caravan. This year with our crew we are doing the Caravan again...more space...ease of entry for my 76 yr old mom and we're not doing any 4 wheeling. As Chili Palmer says' It's the Cadillac of Minivans'...so much more room and space. Only downside is not being able to roll down the rear windows...we'll just leave the side doors open.

Hi Big
Where do you rent the minivan from? We usually do 4wd 7 psgr jeep commander or Durango but I am curious about the minivan....wondering how the minivan does climbing up some of the switchbacks? Any experience getting up the hills toward Gift hill? Thanks for any help! :)
khud

Post by khud »

Thanks for the good info and suggestions. In the past, we've pretty much stuck together but I suppose this trip, some of the older kids might want to go off by their own. Food for thought.
Kathyva

Post by Kathyva »

One of the two cars we rented last spring was a Durango. We were told at the rental agency on our last day that it can be very difficult to drive on steep, muddy roads. Glad we didn't have rain and a steep, muddy driveway! Better to rent two Explorers.
juliebud

Post by juliebud »

We've rented a 7 passenger car for the past 5 or 6 trips and we've never had a problem. Pathfinder, durango, and explorers....I think the durango was a little tight in the third row if I remember correctly. Our group sticks together so having one car has never been an issue. If you happen to find a traverse I would love to know where...seems like it would have more room than the others.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Mar wrote:
Bigcheeze wrote:We have done the Durango, Jeep Comander and the 'Cadillac of Minivans' Dodge Caravan. This year with our crew we are doing the Caravan again...more space...ease of entry for my 76 yr old mom and we're not doing any 4 wheeling. As Chili Palmer says' It's the Cadillac of Minivans'...so much more room and space. Only downside is not being able to roll down the rear windows...we'll just leave the side doors open.

Hi Big
Where do you rent the minivan from? We usually do 4wd 7 psgr jeep commander or Durango but I am curious about the minivan....wondering how the minivan does climbing up some of the switchbacks? Any experience getting up the hills toward Gift hill? Thanks for any help! :)
No issues with the MiniVans. We have rented from Discount and Dependable and this year Dollar at the airport. We always have six in our party. They are front wheel drive and we stay on Giff Hill all the time and brand new roads as of last year too. I probably wouldn't go to Lamsure or the short cut from Cinnomon to Centerline. But much easier to get in and out and much more space for coolers, charis and stuff.