Just back & Chili Cookoff

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Just back & Chili Cookoff

Post by RickG »

Christine and I arrived home on Friday at 11PM. No time to relax, we had to be at our big annual chili cookoff at 9AM the next morning. We had done a lot of prep work ahead of time, so all we had to do was toast, rehydrate and puree some dried chilis for our "Satan's Sphincter" chili recipe.

We had a fun day and about 24 competitors, despite colde weather, under-dressing and rain. We took the award for "hottest chili" in the chili cookoff (it wasn't that hot, just, well, we have this reputation).

In the best homebrewed beer with chili contest we took the blue ribbon for the fifth year in a row with our "Frankische Kellerbier." This has become a heated competition with at least one competitor trying to beat us with our own recipe. Not a chance.

BTW, thanks to Jorge and Waterguy for not drinking all of the competition beer.

Now its time to try and get back to normal. Trip report soon come.

Cheers, Rick
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Rick

Glad you made it home safe - sorry we never hooked up, we have to have a "plan" next time :)

Looking forward to your TR

Pia
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Welcome home and congrats on the Chili Cookoff! You guys look pretty serious with the EZ-up and all...

I've always wanted to do a Chili Cookoff but haven't found the time. Maybe someday...
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Rick & Christine, great job with the hottest chili award and best homebrewed beer with chili contest! I really just wanted to chime in and say it was really great meeting you guys on island - both times. Good thing I had on my forum t-shirt (though I think I would probably have recognized Rick). Hope you guys had a great week and the mosquitos didn't get you too bad. Knock on wood, for whatever reason, they tend to leave me alone. I didn't realize you were leaving on Friday and I was hoping I'd run into you again (perhaps @ Woody's happy hour on Friday). Well, as I'm sure you agree, the week went by waaaay too fast but it was another fabulous and memorable vacation. As to getting "back to normal", don't rush it...enjoy the lingering island mode for as long as possible. IMO, reality is highly over-rated. Hugs, Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
Bug

Post by Bug »

Glad to hear you made it home and cleaned up with the awards! It was so nice to meet you both. I look forward to seeing you again :D
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
RickG

Post by RickG »

b-as-u-r wrote:Well, as I'm sure you agree, the week went by waaaay too fast but it was another fabulous and memorable vacation. As to getting "back to normal", don't rush it...enjoy the lingering island mode for as long as possible. IMO, reality is highly over-rated. Hugs, Ali~
It was great meeting you and a fun week. Having the next trip planned helped me get over the off-island blues.

As for staying on island time, I've got the emergency weekend plumber over this afternoon. Jorge and waterguy sent some odd things down the garbage disposal while we were on holiday. They sort of look like calamari, but they're real stretchy. Odd...

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Welcome back and Congrats on the Chili cook off.

I too look forward to your trip reoprt.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

It was tough saving some but for friends we will suffer
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Good job, you two ROCK!
People are trying to beat you with your own beer recipe? How nasty is that?!! I'm glad you gave them What For.
Sorry I missed your goodbye visit. I missed you by only a few minutes. I was at the new St. John Eye Care Doctor, who sent me off in 45 minutes no longer needing the 55 pairs of drugstore eyeglasses everywhere just to do the simplest tasks. Wow, he just changed my contact lenses, but it was like a miracle. So I'm sorry I missed you, but boy am I ever glad I went to that eye doctor!
-Ruth
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Glad you made it home safely.

Nice work at the cookoff! Next time I'm in Illinois...
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We expected no less. Wish I could have been there to taste test!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Rick - I know it's hard to be off-island but at least you had something to ease you back into the real world.

Congrats on the blue ribbon - love the pic!

nothintolose
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

welcome back. I just got home. is there any chili in my fridge?
Coden

Post by Coden »

Awesome to come home to a chili cook off...congrats for your wins, wish I could have tasted it. 8)
Coden