iPhone case

Travel discussion for St. John
GG53

iPhone case

Post by GG53 »

I was wondering if anyone has used a waterproof iPhone case to take underwater pictures, if so what brand and how did the pictures turn out? Thanks
RonUSVI

Re: iPhone case

Post by RonUSVI »

I haven't but know at least two who have. It works. Make sure you test it before putting your phone in.
Last edited by RonUSVI on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RL 8)
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

I used an Aryca case designed specifically for the iPhone4. It worked perfectly in the sense that it kept the water out and took decent pictures. I'm not a deep diver, but I probably got down to 10 feet a few times with no leakage. Probably the best feature was the way the case worked with the side buttons (which can be used for snapping pictures). It was possible to press the on-screen buttons through the front membrane, but the side buttons were much easier to press.

The main problem with this case was that it was hard to see the LCD display through the flexible front membrane, so I was kind of shooting blind much of the time. Also, the tacky external surface of the membrane attracted sand and dust. The sand mostly washed off when it went into the water, but made the case unappealing on dry land.

You can see a sample of the pictures I took with it here: http://s1116.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... er%20shots

It wasn't terribly expensive. I got it at a dive store for about $40 - probably even cheaper online. In fact, the iPhone4 model is probably dirt cheap now that the iPhone5 is out.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Should be fine for snorkeling and very shallow. I would avoid going diving with it, as a dive professional I have seen instances where it has popped a leak and insurance will NOT cover this. Fordeeper diving you can buy a disposable camera that t is good for about 20-25 feet underwater, they take rather good pics.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Take a look at the Lifeproof cover, its very slim and works great
LynnieGirl

Post by LynnieGirl »

I was also going to suggest you give LifeProof a look. I've posted a link to several video's they have on their site. Several months ago we had a young television reporter killed in a horrible traffic accident. His IPhone with a LifeProof case was found in his vehicle, the phone and everything on it were intact. It survived a fire and was laying in a puddle of water. I have heard these cases are excellent and I plan on getting one when I upgrade my phone later this month.

http://www.lifeproof.com/why-lifeproof/water

Just another day for you, you and me in Paradise...
Just another day for you, you and me in Paradise...

~Tammy
luv2travel

Post by luv2travel »

There is no way I'd use my iPhone for underwater pics. There are plenty of inexpensive cameras for that specific use.