What to Do?

Travel discussion for St. John
silands

What to Do?

Post by silands »

My friends that I go with every year in January are not going this year, due to some personal issues. I'm going to miss it this year if I don't load up and go by myself, I work in retail so 80 hour work weeks are now until January so thinking of sitting on a beach in STJ is my little light at the end of the tunnel I look forward to. Would you go buy yourself? Where would you stay for a week? hmmmmm :roll: :roll: :roll:
Kevino

Re: What to Do?

Post by Kevino »

Check out Estate Lindholm, Grande Bay, Lavender Hill, Cruz Bay Boutique, St John Inn. All are very safe areas for a single person and affordable. Do it!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Heck yeah I would go by myself. I would rent a jeep and stay at Grande Bay and have a great time. :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

I've gone twice by myself and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Will do so again. I go in May/June when prices are lower. I stayed at Hillcrest Guest House and Maho Bay Campgrounds. Both places gave me privacy and alone time when I wanted it, but also access to people so I could do things like snorkel and hike, which I prefer to do with companions. Never felt unsafe, but I wasn't out walking around town at 2:00 in the morning either! :shock: Use common sense and caution but allow yourself to interact with others. You'll meet so many interesting people from all over the country. :D PM me if you want more info.
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
ms411

Post by ms411 »

Maho would be my choice, too, because it's so easy to meet people during dinner and at the on-site events. Their shuttle is also a good way to meet other campers, and you'll have company on your way to town or other beaches.

Better make your decision quickly so you can make your reservation.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
silands

Post by silands »

Thanks for all the helps folks :D
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Yes! I have traveled to Caribbean islands all over by myself. You always find friends and sometimes the complete solitude is just what you need. I am a diver and most of my travel friends are not. Hillcrest Guest House or Grande Bay would be two nice places to stay. Enjoy!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I would JUMP at the chance to go by myself!!! I feel comfortable going all over the island during the day and other than going to grocery store, Mongoose Junction or out to dinner in Cruz Bay I wouldn't be out that much at night so that's not really an issue. The opportunity to lay around and move at my own pace and to stay in or out as long as I wanted would be just SO relaxing! I'd just have to purchase one of those locking bags for my stuff on the beach while I was snorkeling. It would be worth twice the price to not have someone pacing back and forth on the sand waiting for me to get back!!
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

I've gone by myself several times over the years. Have ALWAYS had a great, relaxing time. There's a freedom to just doing what YOU want to do WHEN you want to do it! Plus, as others have said, it's very easy to connect with people when you get tired of the 'alone' time. Really, it's wonderful--it might spoil you for future vacations when others want to go with you!

I usually stay at Cruz Views (high season or for longer stays) or Gallows Point (low season or for shorter stays); I love both.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I would go alone too in a second. I really like Grande Bay which is just steps from town. Just got back from there. So convenient.
Going "home" again October 26th!
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

Absolutely go alone! I have gone alone for the last two years and I'm planning my next trip for July 2013. I would not recommend a villa, they get very lonely at night. I stayed at a villa for 13 days this summer and then moved to Estate Lindholm to extend my stay another 5 days and would highly recommend it. Going by myself is so freeing! I rent a jeep and travel all over the island fearlessly! I meet nice people by sitting at the bar for dinner at Ocean Grill, Zozo's and of course High Tide. I've never felt anything but safe anywhere. (I've posted before that it would be fun to meet up with all the traveling single ladies some day.)
Again, GO!! My husband is not that well and kinda over St. John but I'm still an addict after 12 visits and have found being alone on island is wonderful.