A Bit of Advice on Your Rental Vehicle

Travel discussion for St. John
Randy in MD

A Bit of Advice on Your Rental Vehicle

Post by Randy in MD »

Yes we all walk around the vehicle with the rental agent checking the dings and scratches, and we check the gas gauge to make sure we've got what they say we have...

But DO also check to make sure the trunk contains everything you'll need to change a flat tire, especially if you've rented on St. Thomas.

We were headed from Coral Bay to Cruz Bay after dark last evening and the front left tire blew on Centerline Road next to the old Centerline Concrete building. We had a jack, but no tire iron...

So we knocked on the door of the upstairs apartment seeking help, and a few minutes later, Pablo and his little island dog were helping us with a tire iron and a great sense of humor...

We were very lucky!!!

Getting that flat fixed today...
Need2GetAway

Re: A Bit of Advice on Your Rental Vehicle

Post by Need2GetAway »

Who was the rental company?
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Wow, I never thought about it before, but that's some sage advice.
Tickerless :(
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Great advice. I also was advised to take pictures of the car at the initial inspection, I didn't do this last year and ended up being charged $300 for a dent on the bumper. The best part was when we pointed out that the dent was on the original inspection we were told yes but you made it bigger. So we were charged $300 for making the dent "bigger". Karma must have been on my side though, because even though we paid $300. for the dent, the charge for the actual rental never was billed to my Credit Card.
hjames7796

Post by hjames7796 »

Good advice. We had a flat tire last week and the jack was so rusted that it took us quite a while to get the jeep jacked up. We were lucky that we were able to get the jack to even break free it was so rusted!
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Thanks Randy in MD! I have never thought about checking the tire and accompanying tools for changing a flat. We're renting two jeeps and we'll be sure to check each one...cause I doubt AAA is readily available!
Thanks again for the tip...