Leaving in 5 days... few more questions please??

Travel discussion for St. John
lsbredmond

Leaving in 5 days... few more questions please??

Post by lsbredmond »

We leave Wednesday afternoon for our 1st trip to the islands (other than cruise stops, but they don't count). First - thank you so much for sharing your advice, experiences and knowledge. You have all been incredibly helpful. If you don't mind sharing a little more information we'll be the best informed newbies on island...
I've read about the Lumberyard and picking up water there that is much less expensive. Can someone expand on that? Where do you go? Is it water bottles or large containers of water? What do we need and (roughly) how much is it?

Does anyone know if Vie's Snack Shack is open now? I read on the St John Spice site they were planning to close July 31st and opening sometime in Oct. Other places we'd like to try if they are open are: Rhumblines, Fish Trap, Joe's Rum Hut & Waterfront Bistro. These places show early to mid October openings. Anyone know if these dates are still good or if things have changed?

Where does the car barge come in? I know it's different from the regular ferry.

We'll be checking 1 bag so we can bring sunscreen, bug spray and a few non-perishable items (cereal, pancake mix, rice, etc). We cannot bring perishables because we have 5 days on STT with only a small hotel fridge. Are there other things you recommend we bring (unusual - out of the box ideas that you find really handy to have)? I've read 1 recommendation to bring a small flashlight in case of power outages. I'm planning to bring some sandwich and ziplock bags to pack lunches & snacks. Anything else that seems to come in really handy?

Again - thank you for your help and insight.
mindehankins

Re: Leaving in 5 days... few more questions please??

Post by mindehankins »

As far as extra things to tuck in the bag, I have a list somewhere, and will look for it. One unusual thing I always bring is a sharp chef's knife, in the checked bag, of course.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Joe's Rum Hut is open..Saw that on FB..Follow them on FB...for updates on happy hours, etc...
Have a great trip!!
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Throw in a cheap blow up air mattress. Fun to float on. Give away to someone else at the beach at the end of your trip 8-)

Have a great trip!
lprof

Post by lprof »

lsbredmond wrote:We leave Wednesday afternoon for our 1st trip to the islands (other than cruise stops, but they don't count). First - thank you so much for sharing your advice, experiences and knowledge. You have all been incredibly helpful. If you don't mind sharing a little more information we'll be the best informed newbies on island...

I've read about the Lumberyard and picking up water there that is much less expensive. Can someone expand on that? Where do you go? Is it water bottles or large containers of water? What do we need and (roughly) how much is it?
I do not know the current charges for water or refills.
From another website:
"St. John Ice Company
Lumberyard Complex, Cruz Bay
(340) 693-8825
Bags or blocks of ice. Refill plastic gallons from drinking water. Island recycling. Walk in or use the machine for water. Bring quarters."
The Lumberyard Complex is roughly in the corner above the "201" in the map.
Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 4.59.38 PM.png
Does anyone know if Vie's Snack Shack is open now? I read on the St John Spice site they were planning to close July 31st and opening sometime in Oct.
Confirming when Vie's is open is easiest by calling close to the day you wish to visit... 340-693-5033.

Other places we'd like to try if they are open are: Rhumblines, Fish Trap, Joe's Rum Hut & Waterfront Bistro. These places show early to mid October openings. Anyone know if these dates are still good or if things have changed?

Where does the car barge come in? I know it's different from the regular ferry.
See map above.

We'll be checking 1 bag so we can bring sunscreen, bug spray and a few non-perishable items (cereal, pancake mix, rice, etc). We cannot bring perishables because we have 5 days on STT with only a small hotel fridge. Are there other things you recommend we bring (unusual - out of the box ideas that you find really handy to have)? I've read 1 recommendation to bring a small flashlight in case of power outages. I'm planning to bring some sandwich and ziplock bags to pack lunches & snacks. Anything else that seems to come in really handy?

Again - thank you for your help and insight.
Have a wonderful trip!!!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

The cost to refill the large bottles at the lumberyard was 75 cents when we were there in June. ( we would buy a 6 pack case in ST Thomas at Cost u Less and refill during the trip) we brought our water bottles with us and filled them as needed to take for hikes and beach days.
The car barge is just near Enighed pond just west of starfish Market! Hope this helps a little bit!
Have a blast!!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Where exactly IS the water in the lumberyard? The place confuses me a bit! If I was standing at the door of Cruz Bay Watersports, and facing downhill, where would I look for the water refills?

As long as I'm asking, if I was standing in the same place, where would I find the Barefoot Cowboy? Is that next to Caribbean Villas?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

STJ ice is where you get water. If you are coming uphill you take a left and it is on the right hand side at the end of the first building. Almost directly across from Caribbean Villas office
Park anywhere you can and bring your empty jugs. It is self fill and you pay whoever is there. Cash only
CBama

Post by CBama »

Lumberyard is across from Virgin Island Visitor Center...

coming from North Shore by Mongoose Junction continue toward town and it is on left up hill... just ask...that's what we did! you go to the side of theSt John Ice building to get water refills. wasn't really marked...we just saw some workers and asked...not like a "store"... I can't explain it....

Hercules Pate will be on right side of street when you turn, continue up hill and Lumberyard is on left. figuring out where everything is in Cruz Bay was real confusing to me...
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Things to pack... an insulated water bottle carrier, the kind that you sling over your shoulder. Handy for the beach, indispensable if you're going to be hiking or even just walking around town for a few hours. Anti-fog stuff and mask lube for your snorkel equipment. Thin socks that you can wear under your fins if they rub or don't fit right. An extra t-shirt to wear while snorkeling, and maybe even light shorts that you can wear over your swimsuit if you burn the backs of your thighs. If anybody in your party has a bald head, consider a light knit cap to protect the head while snorkeling. Don't laugh - it works for my husband! It's SO easy to get sunburned on the island. And just in case all precautions fail, sunburn cream. Also hydrocortisone, antibiotic for bug bites, coral nicks, stings.

You can't have too many ziplock bags, both quart-size and gallon-size. Throw in a few rubber bands too. If you're fussy about your bread, bring your own, and maybe small jars of peanut butter and jelly for quick picnic food. Snack bars are handy for hikes and beach trips. Things we wish we'd brought: powdered sugar for the bird feeders, and nutmeg for making Pain Killers!

We just got back last week, so it's still fresh in my mind. I didn't overpack TOO badly, but there were some items I hardly used. Besides a couple of swimsuits, the items I wore every single day were: a summer hiking hat with brim, a big mu-mu to use as a beach coverup, and a very light-weight cotton sundress that I wore around the villa. I only used my flip-flops on the easiest sandy beaches - everyplace else I wore my waterproof, heavy-duty Tevas sandals or went barefoot.

Have a wonderful trip!!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

What dreamshark said about head gear is true- but instead of knit hat you can wear a bandana or a do- rag while snorkeling to prevent sunburn of scalp or head or hair getting in your mask. Be sure if you take your defogger, that if it is in carryon, it is in your ziplock or they will take it away, if packing in checked baggage disregard. I use booties with my fins and love them. Phone or electronic chargers are a good thing to remember!! Have a great time!!! And give us a trip report please!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

If you do have the misfortune of a very buggy trip, we found a solution to the itching at Chelsea Drug Store, upstairs over the marketplace. It's called West Indies Itch Relief. It's an oily spray...smells quite nice....and it did wonders for decreasing the itching. Oily base, though, so remember to sit on towels in the car, and protect your clothes. Worked way better than afterbite or ammonia or benadryl. Cost us $7.85
Did you make copies of all of your travel documents and email them to yourself so you have access to them, just in case.
I had a $2 walmart poncho in my bag that kept us dry despite the rain, on our arrival and our departure

If you find you love the coconut crack bars from Deli Grotto, buy 6 of them and put them in sealed zip lock bag and freeze them. Put them in your Polarbear bag, on the way home. They keep for a couple of months, and are a delightful snack long after you've left the rock!

Have a great time!!!
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

dreamshark wrote:. Anti-fog stuff and mask lube for your snorkel !
I have used anti-fog , but WHAT is lube for my snorkel?!! *snicker* :shock:
Chet

Post by Chet »

PaminMaine wrote:
You can get that at Lily's. PM me when you get here. :evil:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

PaminMaine wrote:
*heh* I was actually referring to silicone lube for the mask gasket, but... if you feel the need to lubricate your "snorkel" as well, I'm sure can find a product that will take care of that problem as well. :lol: