Villa w/ 3 equal bedrooms, awesome pool and Jeep question...

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Villa w/ 3 equal bedrooms, awesome pool and Jeep question...

Post by Coden »

Ok - we are in a very, very early discussion for us to go to STJ in Aug. '13 w/ 2 couples that we vacation with in Fla. every Sept. I'm going to do the due diligence and then we'll have a meeting. No plans will be set in concrete this year, too much going on, just trying to start the process.

Not sure of budget, maybe 3 - 4K. Of course, if we can find the "perfect" villa for less, we'll take it!! If more $'s needed, we'll have to take that into consideration as well.

What we need:

3 equal bedrooms, or as equal as we can get
A/C in bedrooms a must
Awesome pool - this is a must with 6 folks
Nice kitchen - we are used to cooking together on vacations

Ok - Jeep question....Do the Jeeps hold 6? Like the Jeep Liberty? Or what would we need to rent so we can only have 1 vehicle?

Thanks oodles!!
Coden
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I don't have any villa suggestions but I will suggest getting 2 jeeps. An actual jeep will not even fit 4 adults, in my opinion.
With newbies, I can not recommend highly enough to get 2 jeeps. No matter how much you explain the island and how your trips normally go, there will be folks that find loading up the jeep every day tiresome. Then they are stuck at the villa with no jeep while everyone else goes to the beach.
trust me, get 2 vehicles!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Hi neighbor! I'm glad to hear you're starting to plan another trip. I'll be thinking about villa options, but regarding the jeep...are you sure your want to have just one? Are you sure everyone is going to want to stay together the whole time? We usually rent separtate ones so that we have more options. ...just something to think about :D
Image[/url]
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Haha, Xislandgirl beat me to it. It looks like we were thinking the same thing!
Image[/url]
Coden

Post by Coden »

Hey Xislandgirl and Kentuckygirl - Thank you both for the recommendations on the Jeeps. I think it would be smart for us to rent 2 jeeps...I know one of us likes to take long hikes. I had figured we would drop him off and then go to a beach he could hike to and meet up with us.

A lot of planning will have to happen to make this trip a success. Both couples are Newbies to STJ...am I ready for this. :shock:

I am not sure I am. :lol:
Coden
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I'd do Bay Rum Breeze. 2 of the bedrooms are equal and the 3rd is slightly larger (large bath/larger closet). Pool view is fantastic. Kitchen works too. Can't beat the outdoor eating area.

You'll need 2 Jeeps!!!! Don't even attempt to do 6 people in 1 Jeep. It's not that they won't fit (which they won't) but with one vehicle you'll have trouble if some want to hit town and some don't - some have to hit the grocery and others don't want to. Etc. One vehicle would be a nightmare, IMHO.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
lovethebeach

Post by lovethebeach »

We are leaving for St. John tomorrow. We are staying at Palm Terrace Villas - 3 bedrooms, 3 baths. I have heard the view is not so great though. I will post a trip report when I return. We have traveled with groups of 8 & 9 several times. Of course, we had to rent 2 jeeps, but every day we went to the same place and followed each other. We are traveling with 2 other couples (starting tomorrow) and we are renting a Durango. I will let you know how that works out.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We rented Bay Rum Breeeze in February and it has equal bedrooms, AC (very good AC plus silent ceiling fans) in the bedrooms, huge kitchen, nice built-in grill, expansive outdoor dining and lounging area and seperate pool loungers down by the pool.

No way a four door jeep will hold 6 adults.

We do two vehicles for three couples and it works because of our relationships, we all know how to behave. Also, we have multiple trips under our belts and I think that makes a huge difference. I would not do one vehicle for three couples.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks Jumbiegirl, lovethebeach and Pa Girl. I will put in my notes that 2 jeeps are a must, and why. lovethebeach - let me know how that Durango works for 6 though, will ya?

I'll also look up Bay Rum Breeze - love the name!! And, lovethebeach - looking forward to your comments on Palm Terrace Villas.

What is better than being on STJ? Planning!! :wink: :D
Coden
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Take a look at Waterfall at www.vivacations.com we stayed there back in 06, has everything you are looking for only downside is that it is a little bit of a distance from Cruz Bay but has excellent privacy, great view and an awesome pool with 3 equal bedrooms.
Have fun planning
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We usually travel as a 6 adult group and 2 jeeps works. I would NEVER attempt with 1 vehicle!

You might look at Blue Palm Villa and Sol Inclination. Haven't stayed at Blue Palm, but it looks like the rooms are pretty equal. We did stay at Sol and the villa is top of the line. It is windy up on the hill, but we liked it and there would be plenty of room to spread out. The guesthouse only has queen bed in the bedrooms, but the couple would have their own kitchenette, balcony and sitting room so that might make it "equal". It is a little drive from town, but it was an easy drive.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

You may want to look at Alta Vista Villa, 3 equal BR and nice pool and fits the budget even in peak season, I have not stayed there yet, I will be this month, Ill let you know what I thought of it.
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Two jeeps, yep two jeeps. Trust me!!!

We rented a Ford Explorer in Feb and had 6/7 people over two weeks, and only one vehicle. It works, but it wasn't fun!

Stayed at Sol Inclination which was a lovely house, but a little far from town for us. If we had had two vehicles, I might not have felt that way, but worrying about how everyone was going to get everywhere all the time made me about crazy!!!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Hi Coden,
I hear your concerns about taking people to St. John who have not been there. Yes, the trip planning is awesome but last year I took several women (8 total) to STJ and it was somewhat stressful. Typically the trips were not as much work as that one was. It's not that I needed to wait hand and foot on these women, they were quite capable of taking care of themselves, but the trip was "different" for me. It wasn't nearly as relaxing as previous trips.
Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to introduce people to a place that I have fallen head over heels for, but the trip was just "different."
I'm certainly not encouraging you NOT to do it, but just to think about what it entails. Although it's a huge added expense to do the second vehicle, from what I experienced, it's a MUST (just like everyone is saying.)
Compare this trip to what you do with these couples in FL. Do you pack up each day and take coolers/chairs/lunches/ to the beach for the day? Do you all follow roughly the same time schedule? My frustration came from trying to get people moving and into the car each day. It wasn't easy.
Just something to think about is all.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of doing your trip, these were just a few things to think about. I guess overall, it was nice to share the beauty with people who had never seen anything like it, but it took some of my own relaxation away. With all that said, I would rather be on St. John than anywhere else. :D
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I can tell you from experience that the Durango will fit 6. We used one for our last trip with 5 adults, 2 kids.

BUT we were a family, we traveled as a family, ate as a family, went everywhere as a family.

I do not think three couples would act the same. You don't want tension on vacation- that doesn't make it a good time. If you can fit it in the budget, two vehicles will make for a smoother vacation.

I'll think about a villa with 3 equal bedrooms and a great pool. One thing to consider is if you are walking distance to a snorkel spot (like Klein Bay), maybe one couple could still have something to do if they stayed home and not feel like they missed something.
Tickerless :(