Sweet Plantains

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Sweet Plantains

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Hey, y'all!
I want to try Sweet Plantains this year. Haven't seen anyone here mention it recently. Is it still open?
I'm interested in going on Latin Nights (Wed / Thu).
Any advice / tips?
Thanks!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We haven't been in a while. We really liked it, but it is a little on the high side. We have to be more budget concious now. Last time I looked it was still there.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Thanks so much for the response!
We're staying somewhere that's not expensive so that we can go out and eat and imbibe :wink: as much as we want! :D
So, I definitely agree SP is more of a "splurge" place, but that's fine for this trip. (Thanks for thinking of our budget, though!!)
If we end up going, I'll let y'all know for sure in my Trip Report!
Have fun on y'alls upcoming trip, Capn Dan and Ruby!
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

We ate there in May and it was AMAZING! We were there for curry night but all loved my dish the best - it was the pork that is a standard on her menu. Be sure to make a reservation.
NancyB
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

When we were down at the end of February, we tried to stop in twice, but both times there was no sign of life, so I'm glad to hear others had better luck. The one thing I would mention as a fun thing to try there dates from our trip in 2008. They used to offer flights of rum to try (3 different rums per flight) and they had some truly exceptional choices, so if you're a rum fan, do yourself a favor and give this a try! Have fun!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

We really loved our dinner at Sweet Plantains in January! We went with the lovely server's recommendations and had an excellent meal.

Oh, and don't skip dessert! :)
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Either I ordered the wrong thing or I am not a fan. We ate there last July/August. Their specialty drink was good, we thought the food was only so-so and one of the 2 most expensive we had on island. ?? :?
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

We ate at Sweet Plantains for the first time in March and it was the best meal we had on island! We always thought it was too expensive for us and never really considered eating there before, but decided to give it a try this time and were so glad we did. We went on their curry night, I had the Masala curry, the rest of my family had the West Indian curry and they were both absolutely amazing! The prices were reasonable too...I think my chicken curry was $23 or so, and the portion was generous. I also had the chopped garden salad, with chick peas, greens and veggies...such a delicious combination of flavors and textures. The drinks are good too, we tried their painkiller and rum punch, yum! Please let us know how the Latin Night meals are.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote:Thanks so much for the response!
We're staying somewhere that's not expensive so that we can go out and eat and imbibe :wink: as much as we want! :D
So, I definitely agree SP is more of a "splurge" place, but that's fine for this trip. (Thanks for thinking of our budget, though!!)
If we end up going, I'll let y'all know for sure in my Trip Report!
Have fun on y'alls upcoming trip, Capn Dan and Ruby!
Thanks SCT!So excited ! we are getting stuff to gether and cleaning house. Can't wait. School just got out, Next year when we don't have a crowd we may go back. It has been a while.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Sweet Plantains has long been one of my favorites. I love the atmosphere, the drinks (Prince has quite the rum selection), and I love the tostones so much that sometimes I wish I could blink and be there, to have a plate.

Last time I was there, they had changed the menu so that there were different "nights." I really like their fish curry, but it was not being served that night and I was disappointed. I would check their website for latest menu offerings to see what appeals.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Thanks to everyone for your responses! Great tips / info!
Happy Wednesday!