Skeeters soon come :(

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Skeeters soon come :(

Post by Pia »

Well it looks like we are on day 4 of my (always) predicted 7 to 10 days of pretty much solid overcast and/or rain that happens in April or May and again in October or November so if you will be arriving in about seven days from now be prepared for our skeeter bloom - don't worry you will have a great time but I know people like a "heads up"

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Neeners

Post by Neeners »

Just our luck. We arrive next Saturday. We've been through this before, but we're bringing newbies. Eek.
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Soooo, I guess we need to bring more than the repellent bands we bought? HaHa!

On the bright side, I hope most of your yearly May rainfall is out of the way by Thursday of this coming week :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

Let me know how the bands work for you - my MIL is a bug magnet so I would like to get some for her if they work.

Pia
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I have been watching it rain and rain and rain and I've been thinking the skeeters would be coming soon.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Hi Pia,
We are coming in next Friday. Could you give Les a day off from construction and have him place some of those OFF smoke coils all over the Coral Bay end of the island? :lol:

Hope to run into you while we are there...
John and Karen
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'm so sorry for the folks vacationing in the rain now, and for the bites that will inevitably ensue. If you do get bit, I highly recommend a forumite's suggestion of West Indies Itch Relief, for about $7 in a blue bottle at Chelsea. I'm so grateful I'd read about it here!
Pia

Post by Pia »

TrvlJohn - not a chance (hahaha)

Look for a new blog entry - we are installing the new hurricane door today so have been "doorless" all day - burning the butane mosquito repellent both inside and outside the house - I think a few mossies have an early start :(
psufan

Post by psufan »

Been wearing mosquito bands here all week. Have gotten minimal bites but I am not sure if it is because the skeeters have been minimal or these things really work. I had been getting bites on my legs but not on my arms so I put a band on an ankle in addition to one arm. It seemed to have done the trick. We went to Francis late yesterday and I seemed to have evaded the noseeum bites as well. Others in our party didn't wear them and got nailed. Don't know how effective they would be when the skeeters are in full force.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We were bit up by no see ums this trip. I've never had that big a problem with bites, until this year. Blaine always has been a magnet. We'll try the bracelets next time, for sure, cause we're not good at keeping ourselves sprayed well enough.
These bites were like little blisters...are those no see um bites? Not like the red bumps we get from mosquitoes.
wink1134

Post by wink1134 »

Uh oh.. We arrive in exactly 7 days... I've been watching the weather and hoping it will clear out before we get there. Didn't think about all the extra bugs, though... For those of you that have purchased the West Indies bug spray on the island, where did you find it? I'd say we definitely need to pick up some of that ASAP.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Chelsea Drug Store in the Marketplace sell it :)
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

We've been going to St. John in May, and by now, we almost expect an outbreak of skeeters for at least some part of our stay. They can be quite vicious. :( All the more reason for us to stay in/under the water, I guess...
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

West Indies Itch Relief and they also make West Indies Insect Repellent! We saw it everywhere on island, we purchased ours at the shops at Skinny's!! Best $7 we EVER spent!!!
bobob1916

Post by bobob1916 »