What to pack

Travel discussion for St. John
Bigcheeze

What to pack

Post by Bigcheeze »

Well, the ticker we have says the trip we have had booked for 300 days is just a week away(we book early to get lower frequent flyer miles)and I guess at some point I should begin packing, although that exercise has happened a few times in my head already.

But it got me thinking to the first time back in 2003 and how much we had....jeeeze 2 adults and 2 small kids

2 Huge Checked bags, Play and pack crib(Littlecheese was just 2)
3 carry ons
Cooler
Backpacks

Personally I had 4 pair of shorts, 3 swimsuits, 6 T shirts, 3 Collared shirts, LONG pants, long sleeve T,a lightweight jacket, socks, boxers, flip flops, Tevos, books, dvd player fins masks etc...on the plane I wore a long sleeve T, Sweat pants, tennis shoes and a backpack full of DVDs CDs DVD player...etc etc

Fast Forward 10 years...and 9 trips under our belts. 2 adults and 2 teens now

4 carryons
3 Backpacks(1 is a dive backpack)

Personally I now pack 1 pair of shorts, 2 Swimsuits, 3 Tshirts, 1 Collared shirt, 1 Long sleeve T.

I wear a pair of shorts/ T and the Tevos I will wear all 10 days on the plane.

So if some of you see me in my original, faded GOT RUM T for a week...don't worry, it's clean, just recylced every other day...LOL( Good thing for laundry at the villas)
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

You remember what you brought with you in 2003????? :shock: :shock:
Juli B

Post by Juli B »

May will only be my second trip and first time in a villa so I can't quite do the carry on yet because there will be 5 of us and I'm very water conscious. You mention Tevas and no sneakers. Do you hike? I am planning to do the Reef Bay hike with my friends in May. Do I need sneakers or can I eliminate them and just wear Keen sandals on the entire trip? The are not fully enclosed in the back of the ankle - just a strap. Looking to stream line my packing list.

I didn't even have a long sleeve shirt on my list.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Beth Cruz wrote:You remember what you brought with you in 2003????? :shock: :shock:
TOO MUCH
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Big Cheeze, We're light packers too. I started pulling everything out yesterday. Mine will fit in an ebag backpack, and I use my beach bag as my personal item.

Juli B, I do all my hiking in sandals (good flip flops) and I've always been fine. I know others prefer a more closed up shoe though. I think it's personal preference.
Image[/url]
Littlecheeze

Re: What to pack

Post by Littlecheeze »

Bigcheeze wrote:Well, the ticker we have says the trip we have had booked for 300 days is just a week away(we book early to get lower frequent flyer miles)and I guess at some point I should begin packing, although that exercise has happened a few times in my head already.

But it got me thinking to the first time back in 2003 and how much we had....jeeeze 2 adults and 2 small kids

2 Huge Checked bags, Play and pack crib(Littlecheese was just 2)
3 carry ons
Cooler
Backpacks

Personally I had 4 pair of shorts, 3 swimsuits, 6 T shirts, 3 Collared shirts, LONG pants, long sleeve T,a lightweight jacket, socks, boxers, flip flops, Tevos, books, dvd player fins masks etc...on the plane I wore a long sleeve T, Sweat pants, tennis shoes and a backpack full of DVDs CDs DVD player...etc etc

Fast Forward 10 years...and 9 trips under our belts. 2 adults and 2 teens now

4 carryons
3 Backpacks(1 is a dive backpack)

Personally I now pack 1 pair of shorts, 2 Swimsuits, 3 Tshirts, 1 Collared shirt, 1 Long sleeve T.

I wear a pair of shorts/ T and the Tevos I will wear all 10 days on the plane.

So if some of you see me in my original, faded GOT RUM T for a week...don't worry, it's clean, just recylced every other day...LOL( Good thing for laundry at the villas)
Actually remember this trip when I was 2!! Yeah, we had wayy too much stuff and our villa wasn't that great either!! How much we've learned over like 10 years!!
"Changes in latitude changes in attitude"

Juli B

Post by Juli B »

Thanks Kentuckygirl! I just eliminated a pair of shoes from my checked bag. So I'll leave the sneakers at home, wear the closed toe Keens on the plane and on hikes, and pack a pair of flip flops for the rest of my time on island.

Seriously, my only prior trip to STJ was in 2003 and I can remember much of what I brought on that trip also. While I consider myself a "major" trip planner and create packing lists and lists of "things to do, restaurants to try, etc", others might think I was just a tiny bit obsessive about it. I am not a "fly by the seat" vacationer. I think you can miss too much if you do not do your research and planning.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

In an earlier post I said that for the last three years we had pared our packing down to 1 carry on and a personal bag.

But this year we are checking one bag and bringing only personal bags on the plane. The fight for overhead space has just gotten ridiculous and we decided that it was worth $25 and a little wait in St. Thomas so we didn't have to scramble around on the plane. Travel day sucks enough without adding on unnecessary tensions. I already know whoever I sit behind will recline their seat. I don't have to dislike him/her more for taking up his/her and my overhead space with their stuff. I know everyone feels differently but I don't think traveling has to be a competitive sport.
David- n Hampton, VA

The sad "anti light" packers

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

Well, fifth time to St. John for my wife and I is quickly coming up in 2 days (we will arrive on Friday afternoon). Some especially sensitive types already on the island might notice the island sink a couple inches when we arrive with our luggage. My better half believes that there is nothing worse than getting there and not having "something" that either she needs/wants or that she perceives I need/want.

Lots of good things to say about that attitude I guess, and it has certainly helped me in the past. But, man, getting "there" (wherever "there" is), is always a chore. If we want to go out for the evening, I will be able to dress-up. If I want to change shoes two or three times, no problem. If my wife wants to color coordinate our shorts and t-shirts....again, pick the color and "No Problem".

I reminded her that the villa does have a washing machine and she said, That's right, go get the laundry detergent and some fabric softener sheets!" No problem!
Muhaha

Re: The sad "anti light" packers

Post by Muhaha »

David- n Hampton, VA wrote:Well, fifth time to St. John for my wife and I is quickly coming up in 2 days (we will arrive on Friday afternoon). Some especially sensitive types already on the island might notice the island sink a couple inches when we arrive with our luggage. My better half believes that there is nothing worse than getting there and not having "something" that either she needs/wants or that she perceives I need/want.

Lots of good things to say about that attitude I guess, and it has certainly helped me in the past. But, man, getting "there" (wherever "there" is), is always a chore. If we want to go out for the evening, I will be able to dress-up. If I want to change shoes two or three times, no problem. If my wife wants to color coordinate our shorts and t-shirts....again, pick the color and "No Problem".

I reminded her that the villa does have a washing machine and she said, That's right, go get the laundry detergent and some fabric softener sheets!" No problem!
Ha! We packed last night for our family of 6 and I told my wife that we would turn STJ into the sunken city of Atlantis. I packed the entire week in my backpack (along with laptop and iPad). But the rest of the gang is not so frugal - 2 huge checked, 4 carry on, 2 backpacks. It drives me nuts!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

For those that go with minimal clothing, I have a question - do you wear the same thing over and over or do you do laundry every day?

I ask because when I am on STJ, I get sweaty, like soaked through to the skin sweaty. I couldn't image re-wearing clothing day after day.

I am shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops girl on STJ and have no problem wearing last night's dinner T-shirt the next morning but that is my limit. So I go through 2 or 3 t-shirts each day. Same thing with shorts.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

This April will be our 5th time (i think) and my wife and I don't take much more than the clothes we wear on the plane. We both fit all of our stuff into one carry on and I think we STILL had stuff we didn't use or need. I think our snorkel gear took up half the space! This time I got a Polar Bear backpack cooler that I want to take down and use on the beach for our food and drinks (the villa coolers are never very good). I'll probably just throw a swimsuit, camera and my snorkel gear in there and go! Simple and hassle-free!
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

jwwj

Post by jwwj »

We are carryon people, I have a Eagle Outfitter backpack that easily fits in the overhead and I pack
3 pairs of shorts (including the zip off legs kakis I wear on the plane)
4 t-shirts
1 rashguard
2 swim trunks
3 collarded shirts
1 long sleeve t (what i wear on the plane)
keens (wear on the plane)
flip flops
snorkel and fins

we usually do laundry 1 time for a week stay and we rinse the swimsuits and rashguards each day
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

PA Girl wrote:For those that go with minimal clothing, I have a question - do you wear the same thing over and over or do you do laundry every day?

I ask because when I am on STJ, I get sweaty, like soaked through to the skin sweaty. I couldn't image re-wearing clothing day after day.

I am shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops girl on STJ and have no problem wearing last night's dinner T-shirt the next morning but that is my limit. So I go through 2 or 3 t-shirts each day. Same thing with shorts.
Not everyday...maybe every 3 or 4 days. For a quick touch up...we have the kids make a whirlpool in the pool and add some Tide and do it that way :lol:
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Definitely carry on folks which includes a Polar bear filled with food and our snorkel bag filled woth gear! seems like less clothes each time - never has been a problem for Augie but I needed to downsize a bit. A great thing I found ate the bathing suit tops that are reversible with boardshorts! Makes it look like you brought tons of bathing suits and pack so easily!! Have an amazing time!!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting