Final night -- STT or STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
nnmsgst

Final night -- STT or STJ?

Post by nnmsgst »

Hello,

My wife and I are coming to USVI in mid March for 6 nights. We've booked our villa on STJ for 5 nights (in Sat-out Thurs), as we fly out of STT early Friday morning. If you can follow this, we currently have the option of staying on STJ in our villa for the last night and dealing with car ferry, etc very early Friday morning (we rented out car on STT), OR we could take the car ferry over to STT Thursday, spend some time on that island (it's our first time visiting) and stay somewhere that night.

Any opinions or suggestions on where we might stay for one night on STT? Areas or specific resorts? At the least it would give us the chance to see that island a little.

Please assume we wouldn't be terribly inconvenienced by the move to a new accommodation.

Thanks.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

That really depends on the time of your flight. It can be very difficult to make it to the airport early in the morning. Since you said "early" I would advise you to stay on STT.
silands

Post by silands »

How early is "early" for your flight? I would stay in the villa if its not too bad, if you really want to see STT go over for a day on the ferry.
nnmsgst

Post by nnmsgst »

silands wrote:How early is "early" for your flight? I would stay in the villa if its not too bad, if you really want to see STT go over for a day on the ferry.

We fly at 8:55 am, plus we have to return the car.
hairman

Post by hairman »

I would stay @ the Mafolie Hotel on St. Thomas. Excellent view of the Harbor and great food.
Enjoy!!
Last edited by hairman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mit43

Post by mit43 »

I would stay at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort by the airport the last night. I would also turn in the vehicle the night before I leave.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

You don't stand much of a chance at making that flight if you stay on STJ.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Stay on St Thomas

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Check my recent review of the Island View Guest House on Trip Advisor It is nice and reasonable and close to the airport- although the taxi fare is about $25
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I am doing just the opposite. I am staying my first night on St. Thomas because I arrive late and may be along. Several people recommended the B & B Crystal Palace. They have a website and the Innkeeper - Ronnie Loackhart is delightful.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I think you already answered your own question. Enjoy a lesiurly trip to Emerald Beach, say hi to Sam at the Tiki bar...relax and have one of the best dinners and views as you take in the past week on STJ. Wake up in the morning, have breakfast and head to the airport and ask for Daphne the Head porter...enough said. STT is a great place to spend time...whether it's the day befoe or after or a whole week(edit to say I've always been on STJ for a week)

no need to rush your last day
toni

Post by toni »

Definitely stay on STT for the last night; we've stayed before at Mafolie, Emerald Beach, Crystal Palace, Green Iguana and the Windward Passage (when it was the old Holiday Inn) either before or at the end of a STJ trip. Each has pluses, some had minuses. For airport ease we like the Emerald Beach the best, just hung out at the beach and watched planes come and go. Then we actually walked to the airport in the a.m. (we only had carry on so it was easy).

Enjoy!
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like spending my last night on St. John and waking up with the roosters in the early morning. I usually wake up around 4:30, pull out of Coral Bay at 5:20 and I'm one of the first in line for the 6AM car barge. There's very little traffic driving across St. Thomas at that hour and I'm at the airport a few minutes after 7.

The folks I rent my vehicle from allow me to leave the car in the airport parking lot as they are not open yet...

Lines at the ticket counters and customs are minimal at that hour and I'm sitting in the Hibiscus Cafe with breakfast by 7:30...

If you're not a morning person this probably doesn't sound too appealing, but I love spending my last evening on St. John...
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Just a thought but Best western Carib Beach is across the parking lot from the airport and cheaper than Emerald Beach. If your only using it for 1 night you can wake up, eat breakfast and walk right into the airport. you can still use BW Emerald beach if you want and they had a free shuttle between hotels last time I stayed or just walk.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Traveler, are you talking about the hotel that has a mexican restaurant on the water?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"