Leaving St. Thomas on a Saturday

Travel discussion for St. John
kklay

Leaving St. Thomas on a Saturday

Post by kklay »

I've been reading some comments about avoiding a Saturday departure, St. Thomas going home. We will be on island soon (YEA!) however we will be leaving for home on a Saturday (March 24th). We have a 4:30 flight and now I am wondering if 2 hours before flight time is enough time to be at the airport based on some comments I've seen about the long lines. I would appreciate any guidance on this. We will have a couple of bags to check. Thanks in advance for your help!
Pia

Post by Pia »

I would take the 1pm Red Hook ferry - no later.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We were out of the taxi, standing at USAir preferred (no one in line in front of us) check-in 2:20 before our flight. Had we not used a porter (she knew where to find us) I don't think we would have made our flight.

The customs line was longer then I had ever seen. Even carry-on people that avoided checking bags where facing a huge line. For USAir at least, the check-in seemed to be moving rather quickly.

March very likely may not be as busy. Hopefully someone who travels that time of year will chime in. We were two weeks "early" this year.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Get a porter...we always do and we have just 3 carry-ons for four people and no checked bags ...but well worth the tip.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am interested in others' experiences because a while back, I had read on the forum that the porter system changed and they were no longer allowed to get your boarding passes and jump to the front of the customs and security lines.

So going to the airport, we decided to skip the porter. I asked the cab driver about the porter situation and he said "well Daf can still go to the head of the line...." but didn't offer me any other information when I pressed the subject.

We pull up and it is a zoo. He calls Daphene and she is busy but tells us she will meet us at the counter. By the time we are checked in, she is there with her cart and takes about 15 of us (7 in our party). As usual, she took us through the "special" customs line and then directed us to a different TSA security area. It was located down a hallway and I saw signs for "crew." Several pilots cut to the front of the line as we were waiting.

Anyone know if all porters do the same? It doesn't matter to me, I am just curious as I remember reading there was a change a while back.
KCRVDF

Post by KCRVDF »

Dafe is the head of the porter company, so she can get the perks that none of h the others get, but I have been working down here at the airport for about 3 months and saturdays are a circus here. If you are laeving STJ definately be on the noon ferry and head straight to the airport. CU/IM is a mess there are something like 12 flights in a 3 hrs period and everyone is checkin in at the same time. Just some FYI
Jill VI

Post by Jill VI »

Agree, it is crazy, did it once or twice, now it is Sunday or during the week. You will need more time to check in 3-4 hr before, if you can eat outside the airport, the only place in the airport is jammed and limited.
kklay

Post by kklay »

Thank you all for your replies. We are renting our vehicles from Amalie and I believe since we have to be out of our villa by 10 AM we are thinking of going to St Thomas early, getting a bite to eat and perhaps some last minute shopping before going to the airport. Just wondering if there is parking available in the downtown area? From what I remember of our last trip, it's pretty crowded and with us leaving on a Saturday, probably more so. The last few trips when we've left we've tried to get a table and bite to eat at the airport and you're correct, it's crowded and hard to get a seat, much less a table. There are eight of us traveling together. Oh well, here I am worrying about the trip home and I should be celebrating only 23 more days until we are on island! :D
Jill VI

Post by Jill VI »

I think planning ahead( if possible)makes the whole trip more fun , with less worries.......will be leaving March 19th.....but staying on Virgin Gorda
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Parking in downtown STT is actually much easier on a Sat. - use the Ft. Christian parking lot right on the waterfront - with the banks, schools, government and many other offices closed for the weekend there is a lot less demand for parking on Sat.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Daphne rocks. We always find her and she helps us through.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

We arrived and departed on Saturdays, I didn't hear anything about the airport being busy on Saturdays, so we just did it. This was in early December, and we did arrive at the airport early, out of habit, but customs was a breeze and the airport was not crowded... I guess we got lucky!
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

On the Island now. Saw the melee at the airport last Saturday. We're planning to spend a LOT of time there this Saturday! :(

Another tip... on the ferry, we ended up checking a "large" duffle that was carry-on on the plane. (can't even begin to explain that move -- long flight, I lost my mind!) The checked bag "pile" on the ferry cost us another half hour! Avoid it if you can!

Having a great time!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We even have Daphne's biz card...but we did use a different porter last year (April '11)and he got the same results and Daphene saw us and gave our daughter a big hug...We call the Porters the Disney Fast Pass of Cyril King Airport
schmoopie

Post by schmoopie »

Don't forget that the Cruz Bay ferry dock can also be very busy. The place seems to be getting more crowded every year.
On 2/11 the line was building up by 10:00. I got in line shortly after that for the 11:15 ferry to CA. By the time I got to the ticket window 30 minutes later(the window had to close for a while because they ran out of change) we were told that all the CA people needed to go to the end of the line and let the Red Hook people through for the 11 ferry. Tempers were running high.
After finally making the ferry and arriving in CA, the scene at that dock was very crowded and chaotic too with no organized taxi line.
We have taken the Red Hook ferry many times but hate that long taxi ride and enjoy the longer ferry.
The wait at the airport was not bad but the terminal was a zoo.
Anyway we will leave St John on another day of the week next year. I don't mean to blame anyone but that was not a great way to end a vacation in our favorite place.