st john vets bringing noobs...advice?

Travel discussion for St. John
theoverman

st john vets bringing noobs...advice?

Post by theoverman »

we've been to the rock 7 times as a couple, but this time we're bringing along a family of 5 (with 3 teen girls). we know the usual stuff to watch out for like 2 jeeps for when plans don't jive, and go easy on over planning your days and it's ok to do different things.

they are not savvy travelers at all and we have given them the speech...go carry-on only, bring half the clothes and twice the money, and be prepared for the lack of commercial things to do and to just try to soak in this natural jewel of a place...i even quoted RickG to them "if you pitch in at home, you'll pitch in more on st john, if you complain at home, you'll complain more on st john.

i'm sure lots of you guys have tried this with varying degrees of success, but if you can think of anything else to look out for please chime in.

...and any input on southside villa alta gracia would be good too...thanks 4M!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

This is from experience...
Tell them a typical day...every detail, including stopping at the dumpster to drop the trash, loading the cooler, unloading the cooler back at the villa, doing the Cruz Bay loop to find a parking spot, etc.

Things we should have done:

Rules about cooking and dishes. If you cook, you don't clean or if you cook you clean and others get a night/day off. Whatever works for your group, but have a rule!

Talked more about how some bedrooms are better than others and because we did the planning, we get the bigger room.

Told them for the 100 millionth time that restaurants are not AC'ed

Stress the no walking around in your bathing suit or with no shirt on. We told them but he got pissy when I reminded him

Talk about what they like to do on vacation as much as what a STJ vacation is like. I think I focused on what they should expect instead of what they wanted.

Take a day off (or 2) from being the tour guide. Let them know it is OK to not spend every second together.

Buy more rum :wink:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Teenage girls oh my!!!
Make sure they understand that there are rules about how the toilet is used and that showers need to be quick. Also let them know that alot of beachs don't have any and some of the places that you do might not be what they are used to. We had one girl with us who thought we should take her back to the villa every time and it was gross not to flush.
Tom
54b

Post by 54b »

Like the previous comments have alluded to, it's all about resetting their expectations...I think a lot of noobs head to STJ expecting it to be like staying at an all-inclusive resort when in fact it's much more akin to renting a cabin in or around a national park.

When you go camping, you expect to deal with things that are out of your control like insects, power outages and bad weather and you don't expect a waiter to come along every 5 minutes to take a drink order...in other words, you expect to be somewhat self-reliant.

But just when you've practically convinced them not to go, I'd point out that what makes STJ more like camping is also what makes it so great...there are no McDonalds, chances are good you can find a beach where you just might be the only one there, it's always 72 degrees in the villa pool, and there is no schedule.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
theoverman

Post by theoverman »

good points X...def going to implement the cook/clean rules...and waterguy, holy crap, the whole water thing i forgot to mention!...i'll explain to them how many baby sitting jobs it will take to pay for a water truck midweek...that will give them something to think about.
Pia

Post by Pia »

And if that doesn't make an impact let them know that if they run out it might be a few days to a week for a delivery truck to bring water (depending on the time of year) and that means no washing of the face, no flushing, no showers, no laundry etc

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Teenage girls? Yikes, You might need to explain the cell coverage or lack thereof on some parts of the island. Bouncing a billion texts off BVI cell towers could rack up some hefty charges.

We took newbies to STJ, they got it, and they have instigated trips back. "we want to go back to STJ - come with us " Okay - twist our arm. But I certainly had some - now this is not a resort, this is a little do it yourself, if you are high maintenance, you will not like this. you have to adapt and roll with it - discussions beforehand.

Good luck.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I don't think you need to tell them carry-on only. We've been to STJ 9 times and I cannot imagine not checking luggage. I only mention this because they might think you're being extreme with your carry-on only request and then in turn take your other info less seriously.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
loria

Post by loria »

Teresa_Rae wrote:I don't think you need to tell them carry-on only. We've been to STJ 9 times and I cannot imagine not checking luggage. I only mention this because they might think you're being extreme with your carry-on only request and then in turn take your other info less seriously.
i think i hae to agree with theresa here-- i think the whole commando carry on thing is fine for those who need/want to-- we do carry on only often and not carry on other times--with three teenage girls i would say screw carryon...so you miss a ferry waiting for baggage...more reason to have a beer while waiting... And TR's logic/reasoning is spot on-- they might take your other advice more seriously
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Teen girls, huh? Tell them no hairdryers or make up allowed and if they aren't at the Jeep when the engine starts they miss their ride.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I was talking to our friend last night, she was the newbie we brought, and I asked her what she wished I had told her before the trip.

1.How lazy the island makes you. She was not complaining about it, but they are used to hustle and bustle on vacation and just was not prepared to do a lot of just relaxing. (she enjoyed that part, her husband did not)

2. She said that she did not really listen when I explained that there was nothing on the beach. Just beach. She thought that meant chairs and a bar but no vendors or hotels.

3. She said that I should have told her it was camping, in a really nice house. We are campers so she gets the self catering, packing up to do things, water conservation, etc. She said that is the perfect way to describe STJ and she wished I had told her that before we went.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

loria wrote:
Teresa_Rae wrote:I don't think you need to tell them carry-on only. We've been to STJ 9 times and I cannot imagine not checking luggage. I only mention this because they might think you're being extreme with your carry-on only request and then in turn take your other info less seriously.
i think i hae to agree with theresa here-- i think the whole commando carry on thing is fine for those who need/want to-- we do carry on only often and not carry on other times--with three teenage girls i would say screw carryon...so you miss a ferry waiting for baggage...more reason to have a beer while waiting... And TR's logic/reasoning is spot on-- they might take your other advice more seriously
I agree, let them take as much luggage as they want, you don't need to pay for it or carry it. Also, having enough clothing should cut down on the need for laundry, which will help the water situation.

Too funny, Waterguy, about the young lady that wanted to go back to the villa to pee! I can see that happening.

We did a trip with young adult newbies. This couple was the son and now wife of our best friends so the parents took responsiblity for managing their expectations. Even with a massive over-education education, they seemed to only absorb 2% of what we told them.

Some of their comments about their first trip to STJ -

They couldn't understand why we didn't stay closer to or on the beach.

They thought STJ required a lot of driving and they sort of got tired of that.

The nothing-on-the-beach blew their mind but I think they liked it by weeks end. (they are used to AI, east coast beach/boardwalk types of vacations with tons of activities)

Food at restaurants was a bit of an issue for one of them as she has a limited number of items she will eat. I could see teen girls being picky about food.

Our young friends were past the texting/cell addiction but I could see that really being a problem. I would definately make sure the parents are aware of the potential for huge bills.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We took 17-year-old Hot Wings in June. The best thing we did was to carefully lay out what the days would look like. That led to an appropriate wardrobe selection and expectations for the day. She was advised, for example, that we did not plan to go to any "fancy" restaurants. That cut down on the need to pack something for those events. We also reminded her that if she brought it, she had to carry it. She could check bags - as many as she wants for that matter - but she had to cary them to Rachel's taxi, to and from the ferry, into the villa, etc.

We told her that the typical day would start with swim suits, breakfast, leave for the beach or dive boat, more beach time, return to the villa for showers and evening meal and then bed time. We also fully briefed her that food left out, even for a short time, will attract ants etc and was to never happen.

She cheerfully jumped in on chores like grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning up dive gear, and cooking.

Since she helped carry the cooler full of meat, she knew what and where she would be eating. As a general rule, "he/she who cooks is not required to clean." With that rule in place, everyone knows what is expected of them.

We had a great experience. You can too.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

theoverman

Post by theoverman »

we haven't always been carry on nazis...our first few trips we checked in the stuff and schlepped it all around for the week. it soon became apparent that this was dumb because 50% of the stuff didn't make it out of the suitcase.

soon we narrowed it down to what we really need and it made it into a backpack carry on no problem, especially since the bulkier long sleeve shirts, long pants, jacket and hikers were not packed but worn on the 2 travel days.

i'd rather be on stj not wrassling with logistics, (especially on the return trip to the airport with everone else all tired, sunburned, cranky, and bummed out at leaving and then customs and blablabla) i even take it to my seat on the CA ferry to avoid it being flung into the pile on the stern of the ferry (expensive laptop, camera etc inside)...just walk off and go.

we don't bring evening wear since most days we have lunch as our meal out between beaches and cook/warm up something easy at night at the villa. our noobs have heard all these stories over the years from us so the carry on concept did not blow their minds. i'm more concerned with the water situation and getting attitude on pitching in on chores...like someone said, i'll tell them 'think of it like camping in a multi-million dollar villa'.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Teenage girls...........no heels - flip flops only !!!
Realtor - St John Properties