Do you ever buy anything at Charlotte Amalie?

Travel discussion for St. John
Need2GetAway

Do you ever buy anything at Charlotte Amalie?

Post by Need2GetAway »

I'm not much of a shopper, and when we walked around there I couldn't imagine what I'd buy. We ended up parking ourselves someplace and drinking Bloody Mary's. Do you buy stuff there? Is the stuff a good buy?
mit43

Post by mit43 »

My wife used to love shopping at a certain jewelry store, but unfortunately it has closed. Now the only thing we buy is food and drinks at the Greenhouse.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
toni

Post by toni »

Jewelry! :D

We don't have the selection at home so like going from store to store, fun for me anyway.

We usually go to Liberty jewelers, this time also got something for my SIL at Dynasty jewelers. Have bought a camera from one of the camera stores while on a cruise stop since ours got dropped :(

Went over one day on this trip just to go shopping. We also buy jewelry on stj, like Pattons very much.

Have to make sure it's not a crazy cruise ship day, though sometimes that's not bad since then you don't get as bothered by the salespeople.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My girly doctor swears she get fantastic deals on watches and buys one almost every trip but we had a different experience.

We shopped for a watch two years ago. The prices we were quoted were very comparable to the prices at home. I think it was $76 cheaper on STT. We waited until we got home because it was an expensive item and I wanted to have a local store to got back to for service.

I noticed the prices on David Yurman seemed less than at home.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I bought a watch once on St. Thomas.
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

Been to STJ 5 times. Went to Charlotte Amalie 1 time. Only bought a taxi ride back to Red Hook
:)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We've bought quite a bit in CA. The first key is to know what things cost in the US. The second is to let them know that you are not on a ship, and that you are perfectly willing to walk away and come back later in the week. They don't want you to go across the street and find a better deal.

We bought our first SLR digital camera there. We got a package that would have cost about $1200 in the states for $500. We have also bought a considerable amount of jewelery there. We had a US Customs agent hold us up on the return trip. He thought we lied about the cost of a ring. He examined it under a loop and wanted to see the receipt from the store. Then, perhaps thinking the store receipt did not reflect what we actually paid, he wanted to see the credit card receipt. He clearly thought the ring was worth much more than we paid. Another year we also bought a set of Bose speakers for a bargan. The box really upset them. They x-rayed it in all three directions to confirm what was in it. They finally let us pass.

Whether you get a big deal depends on how well you bargan.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

we have found Charlotte Amalie to be the best duty free jewelry shopping in the Caribbean. The appraisal we get when we return home is always considerably higher. We make certain to shop what she is looking for before we leave home to be sure we are getting what we want at a good price. I just like the liquor prices. :D
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

You can't beat the prices on high end watches (Rolex etc.)
P-600

Post by P-600 »

The only time we stopped was with our then young teenage boys. My older son wanted a pair of sneakers and bought them. When we got home they were two different sizes!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

On the sad walk of woe, we always each lunch at Cafe Amici, love their stone fired pizza. The past few years have shopped at A. H. Riise for their great prices on Cruzan ($6.50) for flavored. It was so great to box it all up and take it as a carry on. Now, sadly, not the same great deal. The cosmetic store next door for Bobbi Brown pot eyeliner and brush (a bargain). Up the walk under the covered portico from Amici, wonderful Christmas ornaments. There is also a cool little local silver jewelry shop on the main drag where I have purchased seriously pretty starfish earrings. It seems the more we go, the less we are inclined to shop in STT. Maybe we've done it all???
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

greyhoundmom ... it seems we have similar ideas to help heal the sorrows for the return trip. We also have lunch at Cafe Amici and you are right thier stone fired pizza cannot be beat. We also go to A. H. Riise to shop for unusual rums which we have a hard time finding back home. I am concerned though why do you say the deal is not as great? Please don't tell me I have to change my rut (I mean tradition).
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Bought a camera... got home and found the same camera for aprox. the same price. I have done well on inexpensive fresh water pearl earings. They were good brides maids gifts. The girls loved them.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I live on STT and find shopping in Charlotte Amalie to be amazingly interesting with lots of different stores and unique items - well beyond jewelry, although I have bought my share over the decades - when I spend anytime in a stateside mall the stores all seem generic in comparison.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Hotrns, I just meant the prices are pretty comparable to what I pay at my local liquor store as far as the Cuzan flavored rums, so doesn't justify shipping it back. Also, Spirit Airlines would not let us do carry-on rum from the duty free shop at airport last summer. I need to look for a few bottles of rum that I can't buy here.