Has anybody taken the sea plane?

Travel discussion for St. John
SOonthebeach

Has anybody taken the sea plane?

Post by SOonthebeach »

Hey guys- have any of you taken the sea plane? We are looking into it to get from STX to STT (then to STJ) in February. We are a little chicken as we have never flown in a sea plane before. Would love advice to calm my nerves :wink: Thanks!
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

They float, jets don't. What else? :lol:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I wanted to take it in the past and looked hard at it for our upcoming trip as I know it would rock our son's world.

What has held me back is the luggage issue.

Someone on the forum, Gymnastika maybe?, took it to STX and they were charged hundreds for their luggage. It was a spur of the moment thing so they just rolled with it.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I've checked the luggage rules- they're here:

http://www.seaborneairlines.com/fly-with-us/fare-guide/

Not bad if you buy the right fare and plan right- we can do that. Just wondering about safety? I know I am a big chicken- you are right rpplano- they do float- if you land right ;-) I'm really not a huge fan of small planes in general, so may as well go for the floating ones :lol: :lol: :lol:
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Does anyone know why they dont fly to STJ? I would think once on the water they would be treated the same as a boat :?:

Just wondering...
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

bdkane wrote:Does anyone know why they dont fly to STJ? I would think once on the water they would be treated the same as a boat :?:

Just wondering...
Are you thinking St. Thomas to St. John? That would be a short flight.
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Seaplanes used to fly into STJ in the 70's. Parts of their ramp are still visible to the west of the Nationsal Park Bldg. Company went out of business. Old Timers on island know about it, some of them might speak up?
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

[/quote]

Are you thinking St. Thomas to St. John? That would be a short flight.[/quote]

My bad... I was referring from PR direct to STJ, it just looks like fun!
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

bdkane wrote: Are you thinking St. Thomas to St. John? That would be a short flight.
My bad... I was referring from PR direct to STJ, it just looks like fun!
It does look like fun. On our last trip we ate at Hook Line and Sinker in Frenchtown and watched the plane land and take off twice.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

It does look like fun. On our last trip we ate at Hook Line and Sinker in Frenchtown and watched the plane land and take off twice.[/quote]

I wonder if they could drop you off at the Soggy Dollar- heck just fly about 30' from sure and ill jump!
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Haven't taken "the seaplane", but have done trips in float planes Dehavilland Beaver's and 4 seat Cessna with floats in British Columbia. Such a cool way to travel. Would love to take the STX to STT float plane trip. We considered it the first time we went to the USVI's when we had originally wanted to get to Buck Island.

Float planes are great, just remember that they can land anywhere on the water.
We only had a couple of problems, we had to abort a landing (moose was swimming across the lake/runway) which shouldn't be a problem in the caribbean. And when they put us on the wrong lake. Wasn't big enough to get us all out at the same time.
again, not a problem.

No worries.
oliversmom

Post by oliversmom »

My husband and I took the sea plane to STX and it was an awesome ride! Do it if you can - you'll love it!
Only 32 more days till STJ!!!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Antilles Air Boats was the company that flew to St John - I think only from STX - Charlie Blair started this company - he lived in STX and was married to Maureen O'Hara - died in 1978 in one of his planes that crashed. I also used to take "The Goose" to Tortola - it landed in Roadtown where they had a ramp. They serviced STT - STX - STJ - Tortola and Fajardo as I remember and in STT used the ramp at Tortola Wharf where the present company , Seaborne operates out of. They stopped service after Hugo in 1989 I believe.
VIlanders

Post by VIlanders »

We took the Seaplane from STT to STC and back. I think they are very safe and go back and forth all day. They go to Christiansted on STC. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. You will have a great time.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I just checked the prices for flights to St. Croix from St. Thomas and back and was surprised to see how low they were. May be a fun way to split a vacation between the two islands.