Earthquake hits DC and Virgina

Travel discussion for St. John
susan & herb

Earthquake hits DC and Virgina

Post by susan & herb »

i am in NJ and felt the earthquake in my office. It was felt as far as Long Island. They evacuated a lot of building in NYC.
Seems OK now. I work in a hospital.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

I work on the 17th floor of a building in downtown Columbia, SC. Sitting in conference room on couch as it vibrated/shook for about 10 seconds. Very weird.
indianaizzy

Post by indianaizzy »

My daughter lives just outside of Boston and her house shook. Wow!
Connie

Post by Connie »

It was a rumbling in our home. Really really scarey!1
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I didn't feel it in Central PA but I suspect I was in the car, driving down the road when it hit. My husband called me, wanting to know where I was as he is in NY state right now, which is how I learned about it.

One of the guys in our office said it really shook the building (a concrete block structure) and rattled the wooden window blinds for a couple seconds.

My mom lives south of Harrisburg and she said it was VERY noticable at her office.
melmd

Post by melmd »

Shook my office building on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Now we have to wait for a hurricane to hit us :(
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I'm sure that folks out west are used to this kind of thing, but it was pretty freakin' scary to me!
I was sitting on a barstool eating lunch when my chair started to shake. I thought someone was behind me playing around, then the whole building started to rumble; glasses & hanging lamps swinging. My Sweet Amy works in Center City,the phones weren't working, and my nerves were shot until I got a hold of her @ an hour later.
I hated it.
Forum family near the epicenter- CHECK IN!
Hope everyone is safe.
Totally freaky,-hope I never experience something like that again!
Smiles-, dammit!
MJ
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Colorado had their biggest in like 50 years today as well..It was just 5.o I believe, but big for them..Wierd that they both happened today...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

They are downplaying it on TV, I guess to calm people down, but it would have scared me! I hope everyone stays safe!
Image[/url]
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

Felt it in my office. Was pretty strong considering we are up here in Eastern Pennsylvania. Very odd. Feels like a tractor trailer has gone by only my office is not near a big road.

Hope all are safe, and safe wishes to the East Coast in case Irene does come up this way!
Coden

Post by Coden »

It all sounds so scary. Especially with one in VA and another in CO on the same day. Not good!
Coden
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I am about 15 miles outside of DC between DC & Epicenter near Richmond. DEFINITELY felt it. Very surreal. Lost a glass fleur de lis purchased in New Orleans on my last visit. Shook right off the mantle. Otherwise all is well.

Reports of minor damage and minor injuries but nothing major. Epicenter is near a nuclear facility of Dominion Power, but that facility was taken off line and there are no signs of damage.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Pretty noticeable way up here in Boston! I was sitting at my desk on the 3rd floor of a brick building, and it felt like the whole building was doing a serious hula for about 20 seconds. Very unsettling and disorienting.

I know that it's nothing compared to what West Coasters deal with frequently (I'm getting lots of grief from West Coast folks who are acting all macho :lol: ), but for a lot of us here on the East Coast, it's our first experience of a quake! Also an interesting tidbit is that earthquakes east of the Rockies are often felt much further from the epicenter -- up to 10x further than quakes west of the Rockies. Something to do with the geological makeup of the fault & bedrock.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

I had just taken the kids to the pool and I went up to the upper pool to do laps. I decided to lay down for 5 minutes which I have not done all summer. My chair started to shake and I thought I was imagining things so I turned around to the guy behind me and girl and they did not know what was going on either. The guy said maybe they have pipes under us for the pool then we found out it was an earthquake. It was really strange. My kids who were swimming in another pool did not feel a thing but they were in the water.
rImage
Connie

Post by Connie »

My husband, who was working probably less then 2 miles away felt nothing.

I was just sitting here watching TV and the cats felt it immediately and started to run around.

It felt like 100 huge trucks were going up the street at first and then I thought....gas leak...my home it going to blow.

Then, there was a huge rumbling and everything in the house started to shake.

I immediately grabbed the house phone and ran outside. Poor little girl, about 8 was outside her home crying and saying "We don't get earthquakes in PA". I felt so sorry for her.

It was just crazy. We're just not use to them on the East Coast.

Now we have to deal with Irene.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"