Tipping for Maid Service

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Tipping for Maid Service

Post by SuefromMA »

Can't remember what we usually tip per day for maid service.

Help me out here.

Staying 6 nights at Estate Lindholm & 2 nights at Secret Harbour.

What does everyone use as a guide to tipping?
1) A certain amount per day?
2) A percentage of the room rate?

Just trying to figure out our "projected" cash expenditures for the trip.

(Yes, I have created a spreadsheet) - you can take the girl out of the office - but, not the office out of the girl.

Thank you, guys!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I think in general it is best to tip daily, since you do not know if the same person is cleaning your room. However, at Secret Harbour, there will be a note telling you who is cleaning your room during your stay and an envelope for you to leave your gratuity in, so you can leave it all at the end. Last year we spent two nights at Secret Harbour, and we left $20 for the room cleaner.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lavender

Post by lavender »

Sue - Good question - I need the answer too!!!! Here is what I found out online -

Maid service - $1-5 per day typically, up to $10 per day depending upon how much mess you make. Tip daily because there might be a different maid each day. Leave the tip on your pillow. Err on the side of being generous, and tip on the last day also.

That sounds reasonable to me - what do you think? I am so useless today all I can do is plan, organize, pack, repack, watch the weather, plan, organize, pack, repack....you get the idea!!! Less than 48 hrs to go - ahhhhhh.......................
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:25 am.