Villa suggestions for traveling with toddlers

Travel discussion for St. John
GotToGetAway

Villa suggestions for traveling with toddlers

Post by GotToGetAway »

Everyone on this forum is always so helpful, so I'm going to throw this out there.

We just returned from a wonderful, but way too short trip, to St. John. We stayed at T'ree Palms and it was SUPER child friendly (gated pool, toys/books, one level). But, we felt it was too far from town and the beaches when traveling with toddlers.
For our next trip, we would like to stay closer to Great Cruz Bay or Chocolate Hole, and will most likely be traveling with additional family members, so we'll need 4 bedrooms this time.

Does anyone have suggestions for truly child-friendly (ages 3 and 5) villas with interior bedrooms (at least 3 bedrooms under one roof), interior stairs if possible, gated pool or at least not right on the main level. Budget < 6000 per week low season. AC in BRs at least.
I've found Le Lapin II and Ristaba. Any other suggestions?
Tickerless :(
Knolmom

Toddlers

Post by Knolmom »

Idyllic would be perfect for you, but it only has 3 bedrooms. Think the downstairs bedroom suite may have an additional sleeping area.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Back when our son was that age, an agent had recommended Jazz Villa to us. Vacation Vistas used to handled it.

This is $600 over your bduget but WOW! http://www.vacationvistas.com/Villas/be ... t_john.htm
petepie

Post by petepie »

Here are some I can think of off the top of my head:
Ristaba
Crystal Seaview
Villa Tesori
Villa Villekula
Amani
Ambiance
Avalon
Croix Vista
Rendezview
Ciellodonna (check on Pond bay status- overlooks construction site)

Other ones that have sleep sofas in the bedrooms (can fit kids in with parents if you'd consider that) are:

Vistaero
Villa Rendezvous

There have been a few threads on villas that are good for little kids - if you search for kids, toddlers, etc. you should find them.

Also, different companies charge different rates for kids - Destination St. John didn't charge us for kids under 6, other companies charged for any kids in a bed (did not include babies in cribs or pack n plays), and others would have charged for everyone, so when looking at villas, be specific about your party and their ages to get an accurate quote. I haven't been since 09, so some of the policies may have changed by now.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Thanks all for the responses.

I did search the thread for the past posts on child friendly villas, but couldn't find one for 4 bedroom villas. I'm going to talk about each one, so if anyone looks back at this later, I may save them some time searching each website.

Idyllic would be great if it had an additional bedroom. It doesn't look like that little couch opens up to a sleeper (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Beach Garden Villa looks fantastic- I'll look at it further.

Amani is full of glass topped tables and has a pool right outside the slider, so that's out. Jazz Villa and Villa Rendezvouz both also have pools right outside the living room sliders.

Villa Tesori and Croix Vista are farther that we wanted to stay, we would prefer closer to Cruz Bay.

Crystal Seaview and Avalon have separate pods, which we wanted to avoid (can't keep an eye on sleeping toddlers while relaxing in a different pod).

Villa Villlekula doesn't specify how bedrooms are under one roof, or show a floor plan- if anyone knows, please share.

I'm not into scary driveways, so I'll say Vistaero is out based on that, but I also couldn't tell how you access the lower level-outside or inside stairs?

Ambiance looks perfect except for the stairs leading directly into the pool. Seems like they may give this mother of toddlers a heart attack.

Ciellodonna would work for us, but we would prefer interior stairs if we can find it. The same is true for Beach Music. Also, Rendezview is also on our short list if we can't find a villa with interior stairs that is perfect.

I did also find South Palm, which would be perfect, though it's over our budget. Though I guess I can always hope (and save).

Ristaba is definitely on our short list and Le Lapin II.

Any more?
jectac

Post by jectac »

Check out La Collina through Caribbean Villas. We stayed here a few years back with small children. It has 4 bedrooms, 2 upstairs (attached to greatroom), 2 down (outside entry). However, each bedroom has a pull out couch. The bedrooms are large enough that when the couches are open, there is ample room. It is located right above the Westin. The pool is located to the side of the house. There is no entrance to the pool from the deck area. You can lock the courtyard door for child safety.

Each bedroom also has it's own bath.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

a couple of things come to mind....When we traveled when our kids were toddlers, we brought the baby monitors! They were small enough then, I am sure they are even smaller now. That solves the "can't hear the kids when they are sleeping thing".

The other thing that comes to mind is that someone on here a while back mentioned buying the little gadgets that hook to the door to sound an alarm if the door opens. Maybe that will ease your mind?

Tough age to travel with, but you can do it!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Search your memory banks - who rented a large house, about two years ago, that had a kid-fence around the pool? I think it was up on the ridge?

I remember looking at the listing after reading the trip report and it mentioned for an extra $, the rental company would put up the fence.
petepie

Post by petepie »

Choco cruz puts up a pool fence if requested (I read that here - haven't stayed myself). I've stayed in Vistaero. All bedrooms open to deck areas outside - no interior access, and stairs are on exterior of house, but 3 of 5 bedrooms have sleep sofas in them as well as queen/king beds. I think Ciellodonna has an interior access loft (haven't stayed there though), the lower bedrooms might be exterior access. Villekula used to be under seaview homes, and they had a floorplan posted. Now I see it's not there, but I remember that they had 3 bedrooms in the upstairs, flanking the great room, and then another 2 downstairs that shared another living area. Maybe email the agent to get a copy. The good thing about Villekula is that it's a very easy drive - right near the Westin along Great Cruz Bay.
petepie

Post by petepie »

Forgot to add that a lot more villas on the Coral Bay side have interior access bedrooms. Not sure why - maybe they're built on hillier terrain?

Also maybe consider renting condos - 2 units in Lavender Hill, Palm Terrace, Cruz Views, Grande Bay, Battery Hill? That takes the pool problem out of the equation, some are right in town for walking, although 2 condo units is probably more expensive than a house.
petepie

Post by petepie »

Did you see Chateau La Tete rouge through catered to? POol on side of house, upper level has 1 bedroom + loft, lower has two bedrooms that are linked together.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I knew posting this question on this forum would lead to way more info than I could find on my own.
You guys are AWESOME!

La Collina fits the bill (and the budget) and goes on our list.
I will definitely email the company for Villekula for floor plans.
Choco Cruz is a true find for anyone traveling with youngsters! The advertise the pool gate on their website, as well as a host of other infant/child related items that would make a vacation much more comfortable for parent and child. Unfortunately, it only has 3 bedrooms which is one short for us. But I will remember it for any other future trips, or if anyone in our party backs out.

We did travel with a baby monitor, which was very helpful to us, but I like to peek in now and then and make sure no one is about to fall out of bed too :) Also, I am not a fan of pod style villas regardless of traveling with children, that is just a personal preference.

I have considered renting 2 units, and have not ruled it out entirely. I did also consider Coral Bay, but we will be traveling with my in laws and feel they may not be hitting the beach daily like we will and they may enjoy spending time shopping in Cruz Bay. We may consider Coral Bay in the future, especially since Maho is a family favorite.

Thanks again to everyone. I have definite contenders, and now have to consult with my other traveling partners.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

We just stayed at Jazz Villa and liked it well enough. It is not the most luxurious place, but for our purposes, it did just fine. The layout is very efficient and the pool and pool deck are great. We had a 10 month old an 8 month old, and 3 older kids not quite 4, 5 and 8.

Its generally kid friendly. The one caveat, and this may be substantially everywhere, is that the floors were hard terra cotta tile which made for potentially dangerous situation with the little ones. I can see a situation where a kid is running and takes a nice fall and knocks out a tooth. But, that really can happen anywhere you go - just something I thought I'd mention.

3 of the 4 bedrooms are internal, 2 of them are upstairs and the 3rd one is down a fairly significant set of steps. Bedrooms are air conditioned, the rest of the house isn't, but you get a decent enough breeze to not be too hot (and I am a sweater).

The pool is not gated but we simply did not allow the 3/4 yr olds to go outside without adults. Didn't really pose a problem. And (to repeat myself), the pool is great. Probably one of the most substantial ones I've seen.

Edit: I just saw that your budget is $6k/week in low season. Jazz Villa fits well within that budget to the point that you may be looking for a higher caliber house. There's nothing per se wrong with it, but its slightly "weathered" and not luxurious like Beach Garden seems to be. For instance, there is no TV in the bedrooms, only one in the living room. My family is somewhat high maintenance and St John newbies though, and they were happy enough there.

We paid $6K in high season.
petepie

Post by petepie »

forgot to ask if you looked at Soul Island, Oceanport, or Island Manor? They may fit your needs too.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

We aren't fancy people and only have a $6000 budget due to how many people are coming. We don't require fancy, just adequate. But, Jazz Villa just didn't look like "home" to me.
Island Manor says it doesn't allow children under 6.

Oceanport - I just saw the pictures showing the renovations, it looks beautiful. Children of all ages welcome, probably because there is no pool. It isn't a MUST HAVE for us, but definitely something we would like to have so we have something to do with our older child while the little one naps.

Soul Island- fits the bill perfectly and even says it has kids toys and games. The pool is off to the side, which is good.

I thought we had decided on Le Lapin II for two big reasons: the kids are free, so the price is lower; and there is a tub (good for scrubbing sand from cracks). But our first choice of dates is already taken.
Soul Island may be in the running. I always try to give my inlaws a say since this will be their vacation, too.
Thanks everyone for your responses!