Snorkel gear "missing" from Francis Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
jectac

Snorkel gear "missing" from Francis Bay

Post by jectac »

Just wanted to remind everyone to watch their belongings closely while vacationing. Late in the day last Sunday (before Easter) my husband and I were at Francis. I got all of our things ready to leave. I rinsed all of our snorkel gear and hung the bag in the tree by our chairs, so that it wouldn't get sandy. We hopped back into the water for a last minute dip and rinse. We turned our backs for a few minutes, and when we went to leave, I discovered our bag GONE. There were not many people on the beach, as it was 5:00pm and most had left. We retraced everything, and figured that someone had come up from behind on the little path from the trees and made off with it. Thank God that we only had 1 more day on island.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I hate that... :x
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Wow, sitting on Francis right now reading this! Like I've said, bad people really suck.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

So, with all this talk of things being taken from the beach, what should one do with their belongings while in the water? There is always going to be a few things you want with you on the beach that you aren't going to take in the water...
Bryan
jectac

Post by jectac »

I am not certain. When we snorkeled, I have one of those water proof containers that I put money, cc and car keys in and take with us. They didn't go after my beach bag that had all of the "good" stuff, because it was in between our chairs.

I think the bag was taken out of convenience and location. Next trip, I will keep everything by our chairs.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

That does suck and is unexpected there. I definitely won't leave anything important out of sight any longer.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Ya know, I am so naive! We always feel so safe on STJ, but recent events let me know otherwise. We will take a waterproof bag from now on and pack any thing of value with us!!!! :? :shock: :x
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

That really is a shame...I hope the mask doesnt fit them and they get eyes full of salt water...would serve them right... :lol: We too have a case that we carry cash,cards and keys in. We never take anything expensive with us. I dont even take my wedding rings. We bought a cheapo bands at Freebird for something like 10 bucks. I wear it when we go. I only take cheap earrings...if I take any at all. This yr we are only taking the Olympus camera not Hubbys Rebel. I dont think we will even bring a lap top...not this time...and maybe just 1 phone instead of both..all that is probably staying here...maybe bring our Ipods so we can have music on the plane...maybe..
[/url]
equinox

Post by equinox »

Why would anyone want to steal someone's snorkel gear? That's gross! (No offense) It's like stealing someone's underwear.
equinox

Post by equinox »

I'm sure they were looking for valuables, but you would think they would have dumped the snorkel stuff.
suzi

Post by suzi »

aw man...that really stinks..
after reading your post, I half expected to see a picture posted of those donkeys running away with your snorkels! Like the post not long ago of the donkeys at Francis stealing the paddle board...
again, sorry...
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

Read about backpacks and bags being stolen last year. Invested in a pacsafe.Its a wire mesh with a lock that fits around your backpack. You can get them at REI or Amazon. Pretty cool, and you feel safe when you are in the water. Hope this info helps.
inuny

Where do you put the pacsafe key?

Post by inuny »

I looked at the pacsafe - where do you put the key whlie you're swimming/snorkeling?
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

I tie it to my wrist or my suit. Its pretty nice and easy to use. You feel comfortable while in the water.
stjohnnewbie

Post by stjohnnewbie »

I bought the Kyss Bag before our trip last year. It has a chain on it that locks the bag and you secure it to an object like you would a bike. Can't explain it very well, but here is the website. Loved the peace of mind it gave us.

http://www.kyssbags.com/