Bringing a cooler?

Travel discussion for St. John
Jen East End

Bringing a cooler?

Post by Jen East End »

Several of you have mentioned bringing along a cooler of meats. We have a couple foam coolers that are disposable and meant for shipping frozen meats. However, they have no closure and we would have to use duct tape to secure them closed. Is this okay as checked luggage? Or do the airport people have to be able to look inside? We are going to have eight people on our trip and would love to bring along meats and cold cuts from home. Any suggestions? :?:
[/url]
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

The way they chuck luggage around I wouldn't trust a foam cooler I bought a polar bear cooler and use it to take drinks and lunch to the beach then pack it whit my booze for the trip back
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

we don't check our polar bear cooler...I bring it on as our carryon.....full of frozen meats and such for the kids....
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm a meat scientist and over the years have shipped hundreds, or maybe even thousands shipments of meat in Styrofoam coolers, but which type are you talking about?

Some are made for shipping on planes but others are the type you can get in grocery stores which I would not recommend.

This type would be fine, they are used over and over again in the food industry:

I would NOT put this kind on a plane:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Jen East End

Post by Jen East End »

I have the first type you've shown. It was filled with steaks from Omaha Steaks when we received it. Thanks so much for taking the time to show me the pictures. How do you secure the lid of this type of cooler when you ship?
[/url]
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

It has to be tape you have to hope that TSA re tapes it good when they inspect it
mricco

coolers

Post by mricco »

We have taken coolers 2 times, hard type. Used bungy cords to the airport, in case they wanted to check it. Then before it goes on the plane(as we check ours) they tape it for you very well.
Works great and has arrived in perfect condition each time.
mr
m ricco
Pia

Post by Pia »

I have read before of people putting a roll of tape inside the cooler with a note to TSA to use the tape and then discard it should they open to inspect.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Jen East End wrote:I have the first type you've shown. It was filled with steaks from Omaha Steaks when we received it. Thanks so much for taking the time to show me the pictures. How do you secure the lid of this type of cooler when you ship?
They come with a cardboard box as pictured above but if you don't have the box then I'd just tape it. We always take a regular plastic cooler to STJ and tape it. The few times our cooler has been inspected they taped it back up well with their own tape.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Jen East End

Post by Jen East End »

Thanks for all the tips. Really glad I asked, one less thing to figure out before we leave. I just love this forum!
[/url]
nhstorm

Post by nhstorm »

We used a soft sided heavy duty cooler bag one time and then a regular suitcase last time. We also wrapped the meat in newspaper to help insulate.

I got the steaks (~10 lbs) from a local butcher and they vacuum sealed them. I then put them in a deep freeze for 2-3 days then we checked them onto the plane in Boston. Both times the meat was fine.
Counting down the days until I get back to St.John....
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

We use a small soft side cooler and I pack it inside my checked luggage. I then use it for our beach cooler. Has worked just fine and very convenient. The meat has stayed completely frozen and we are about 12 hours door to door.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

FinsUp wrote:We use a small soft side cooler and I pack it inside my checked luggage. I then use it for our beach cooler. Has worked just fine and very convenient. The meat has stayed completely frozen and we are about 12 hours door to door.
This is also what we have done except we have brought it in our carry-on also. TIP freeze the soft sided cooler AND the contents for at least 48 hours prior to putting it into the luggage. The styrofoam shipping coolers work very well but I don't think I would pay the $25 to check it. I don't think that we save that much by bringing frozen foods with us. You will also have to deal with either disposal or bringing it back with you. If I recall correctly, styrofoam coolers are not allowed on NPS beaches??? or perhaps that is only Federal scenic waterways. Not certain of the NPS beaches.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"