Anegada

Travel discussion for St. John
SanDiegoMark

Anegada

Post by SanDiegoMark »

Four of us are spending 2 weeks on STJ in July. After many trips, we have never been to Anegada. I've read that it has an awesome snorkeling reef off a beach. Any advise on a day trip from STJ? Is it best to fly from STT or charter a boat from STJ? Any thoughts, suggestions, or advise would be very welcome!
Pia

Post by Pia »

There is a public ferry that runs the first Sunday of the month from St John (reservations required) so if you are here at the beginning of the month that would be an option - I don't know any charter boats that will do a day trip so a small plane is pretty much the only other way to go.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

There is a ferry from Tortolla, check out TTOL it's a BVI site, the timing may require an overnight on Tortolla.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

InterIsland Ferry shows a r/t from STT & STJ to Anegada.

http://www.interislandboatservices.vi/schedules.html

Best to give them a call.
Pia

Post by Pia »

The link that John gave is the public ferry that runs by reservation only on the 1st Sunday of the month - they need a minimum number of passengers to make the trip go but I can't remember off the top of my head how many but I am thinking it is 20 or so :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

We are doing the same! After 9 trips to STJ we are adding on Anegada for 2 nights. After MUCH research and advice, we decided to start our vacation with a charter frlight from STT to Anegada. We are staying 2 nights at Cow wreck Beach....taking the Friday late afternoon ferry to Tortola. Needing to stay the night in Tortola and get on the STJ ferry in the morning....Then onto a week in STJ!
CAN"T WAIT!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Just wanted to give a heads up...I have been to the BVI's a few times and have done tons of research. I hear people that love Anegada, but NOT because of the snorkeling. By far, the snorkeling reports are always much better coming from St. John. Just didn't want you to get there and be disappointed by the snorkeling.
The people that love Anegada love it for it's "nothing there, nothing to do" factor. Just being able to chill and enjoy the beauty of the ocean, etc
Anegada is very different from STJ in that it is a very flat island with not much in the way of greenery or hills, etc...
Hope you enjoy your trip..
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
SanDiegoMark

Post by SanDiegoMark »

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you for great info (as usual!)
jmq

Post by jmq »

On the north shore of Anegada (Cow Wreck, Loblolly, etc.), the coral tends to be out a ways from shore in reefs that fringe the bays up to a hundred+ yards out. You get waves breaking over the outer edges of the reefs with coral that reach up to the surface in spots, with some tricky currents and swells out there too.

You can also get in between some of the reefs, going through a spot where the coral is low enough for you to snorkel over, then get turned around, and then have to look around for a new spot with enough clearance to get through to the other side. This could also be affected by the height of the tides.
Not nearly as many critters on the shore side of the reef compared to STJ, maybe due to the waves and current (?), or maybe there are more on the other side beyond the break. Definitely not a place to ever snorkel alone.

There is more Anegada info, including some underwater photos, in an old BVI trip report I re-posted in the new BVI forum section.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

I always thought this sounded like a good deal, but it leaves from Tortola or Virgin Gorda I think.

http://www.bviaircharters.com/Anegada.aspx