trip report 2

Travel discussion for St. John
suzi

trip report 2

Post by suzi »

So I pretty much covered the accomodations, Grande Bay. And also covered the beaches, and our hikes.
Restaurants- this time of year, we HAD to make a reservation everywhere we ate. Most of them we were able to make in the morning or as soon as someone was answering the phone. Lime Inn was very very good. The weather was gorgeous so we did not have to think about the heat or bugs at night.I love the atmosphere at LIme Inn. Everyone is always so happy! Morgans Mango was terrific as usual. Fish Trap was okay...we were able to just walk in and get a table with no reservation. Their prices are just as high as anywhere, but no atmosphere as far as I am concerned. I would rather be in Wharfside or Lime Inn or Morgans. Another night we ate at High Tide. Last October, this was one of my favorite places...casual, music, fun, good fish tacos, great drinks. We ate there 3 times in Oct. this time...not so great...crowded, and wwwaaayyyy backed up in the kitchen. We sat for an hour before we got food. Everywhere has a bad night, tho.
Uncle Joes BBQ was our only take out. I wont go into talking about Uncle Joes too much becasue I know how much some people LOVE it there. Lets just say , we will NOT go back. After so many years, nothing changes, and we will give Candee's a try.
We were not able to get a reservation at Zozo's, our favorite place. Our tradition is to go there the last night of our vacay, but we waited too long to make a reservation. 2 days before. Soo disappointed. We did go up for drinks at the bar on our last night. It is beautiful up there. funny story- when our twins were 8, we started going to STJ, and their thing was to order Shirley Temples wherever we went and they would compare. At the time, Zozo's was called Ellingtons, and according to the twins, Ellingtons had THE BEST Shirley Temples EVER!!! We always talked about that every year when we would eat at Ellingtons/Zozo's, and they would order their shirley Temples. But this year, it was not Shirley Temples...they were drinking legally for the first time on STJ and having fancy martinis!!! "italian Princess" I think they were called. Wahhhhh...a sure sign that they are grown ups!!! What? Not ordering Shirley Temples???
that last night we had dinner at Waterfron Bistro, and it was wonderful!!!! Lovely lovely setting, right in Wharfside, overlooking the beach, white tablecloths, excellent service. I would have to say, if you can't get into Zozo's, try Waterfront Bistro.
Our next trip we vowed to try that new Italian restaurant next to Sogo's. AND we have never eaten at Sogo's! So that is on our list, also.
Since the girls were legal this year, we all went over to Woody's for a beer and sit out on the sidewalk. AAAAHHHH! So wierd having a beer with my daughters!!!
One morning we drove out to the Westin for breakfast. We love their restaurant - all open, no walls, so tropical. Had the breakfast buffet. I know it is pricey, but we didnt have to eat lunch! It is a nice setting, watching all the activity on Great Cruz Bay. the Westin was the very first place we stayed all those years ago! In October, the place was a mess! It was after all the heavy heavy rains, the pool had been flooded twice, and drained and scrubbed. there was mud everywhere and hardly any guests ( who would want to stay there?) but Westin worked hard to get it all back into shape and have to say that the property was gorgeous! You would never know what havoc the October storms had caused.
Guess that about covers it...we did all our old favorites, and always some new tings. so sad to leave, esp since we don't know when we will be back with our daughters. College and study abroad will ne in the way. Husband and I will be back tho. But my absolute dream, is to come back with my girlfriends!!!! Now THAT would be an unforgettable trip!!! will have to start working on that!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Thanks for the report! I'm glad you guys had a great trip. We've never been to either Zozo's or Waterfront Bistro, trying to decide if we want to try one this summer.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks for your trip report. Too funny about your girls and the Shirley temples. They sure grow up fast. We love ZoZo's but have never been to waterfront Bistro. What did you have to eat there? We will have to put that on our to do list. We ate ate Lime in for our first time last trip and will definitely be going back there.

Glad you got to experience St John with your daughters again. What memories you will have. From going from Shirley Temples to Martini's for starters. Lots of future conversations for sure.
sadams

Glad you had a great trip!!

Post by sadams »

HI Suzi...Now I know why I haven't heard from you....you have been busy posting your trip reports. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation with the girls. I loved reading all about it. Hoping to hear from you soon!! Sharon
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

A girlfriend trip! What a great idea....Thanks for the chat today! Oh, and thanks for the "food" trip report. Other than sunsets, food is my next favorite subject! I will be sure to have a cocktail for you at ZoZo's, a few of the other places you have mentioned!
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Great report Suzi. I think there's a very good chance that my wife met your husband and daughters at Maho this year (that is, if they go to school in NYC, that is).

If that is the case, We vacation in the same place in the summer as you guys do - I think my wife was scoping out some babysitters for our boys for this upcoming summer.

(Or perhaps you weren't the only family with twin girls in college on island last week :D )