Talk to me about Giftt Hill

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

Talk to me about Giftt Hill

Post by flip-flop »

Ok, you would think after many trips I would know more about St. John than I do. We are struggling to find a house that fits our needs/desires:

* price range (preferably under $3200 - we want to pay less so we can stay longer)
* 2 master-ish bedrooms
* Room to put 4 kids - 5ish-15ish (lofts are fine, rollaways are fine, bedrooms are fine - but the proximity to a grown-up bedroom for at least the littlest one is important)
* a/c in bedrooms (we are going late June/early July so this is a non-negotiable)
* pool

We really like Coral Bay/East End, but just aren't finding anything that is working for us.

So...my question...Giftt Hill. Tell me about it. How far to Maho? SaltPond? Skinny Legs? :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

It is so far my favorite location. I love bring higher up and the sunsets are fantastic.
The access from South Shore Rd. can be a little harrowing at first but you get used to it. You can also access Centerline easily to get you where you need to go.
We are returning to this area this year and I'm looking forward to it.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

do you have a house picked in this area?
what about Cocotier in VG?
have no clue on pricing however.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I like cocotier but its out of our price range. Our main problem is a lot of the houses we are looking at have 4 nice bedrooms - meaning 3-4 couples must split them. I just can't pay that kind of money for kids!! :oops:

Cloud9 is on our list. Seems reasonable, just have no clue about that location!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Cloud 9 has been on my list for a while but somehow I never pull the trigger. I have some pic's a forumite sent me if you want to take a look. Let me know.

Just be careful of lofts. I know it's the kids but I recall reading it was very hot in the loft area of Cloud 9. But I totally could be mixing that up with another place!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

MB - I'd LOVE to see pictures that are candids. The one thing I like about the house particularly is that it has a/c in the loft. We learned the hard way on that one at Ambiance!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I just told someone else the other day that Gift Hill is my favorite view of anywhere we've stayed.

The drive to the beach seemed very quick and Cruz Bay was good too. Getting used to the road was tricky on our first trip, but I don't think you guys will have a problem and Centerline is super easy if you go that route.

I've never read anything bad about Cloud 9 and I have complete respect for that villa manager. She was awesome when we stayed at Sundance. Their villas aren't fancy, but good, solid, affordable options!
Betty

Post by Betty »

We love Gifft Hill so much that we are building here :) I think it is easy to get anywhere from Gifft Hill to Centerline, close to Cruz Bay, close to Health Center for emergencies, and views to die for!!! I will put on my thinking cap and think of some of my neighboring villas that may be available.
Ann

Post by Ann »

I am glad to see the positive comments about the Gift Hill area. I am signing a contract today for Hummingbird Hill villa for a June trip and was a little concerned about the location.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Love Gifft Hill and the road is brand new too...that first time up was a trip...

We stayed at Coconuts 2 years in a row...and loved the deck and view(new owners too Kevin is his name)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Have you thought about Soul Island?

http://www.vrbo.com/210811
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I like Soul Island a lot, unfortunately its over our budget!
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

More props for Gift Hill! Have stayed in VG. Love it!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Gift Hill sunsets are amazing (can be hot though, need shade on your pool deck). And the view of the lights of ST Thomas at night are wonderful. I heart Coral Bay but the view from Gift Hill is better.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Flip, the views from Gift Hill are the best!

We have stayed at Palm Villa, Gift Hill Villa, and Cocotier. The views from Palm are the best, but that villa won't work for you.

RickG has also stayed at Cocotier. It's a good villa, but the living areas and kitchen are a little tight. 2 Queen bedrooms in a building off the pool, King bedroom adjacent to the living area, and a King bedroom upstairs accessed from outside stairs. Not a good thing with kids, my guess.

Good luck!!