Rash Guards

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Rash Guards

Post by California Girl »

I lost this link for a long time, but fortunately they sent me an e-mail so I was able to reconnect. I've bought several things on this website, and I just love my rash guard. A lot of people post questions about where to get rash guards, and I just thought I'd recommend this website since I've had very good experiences with them. This is one of the websites under the "Discount Beach Gear" umbrella.

http://www.buy-rash-guards.com/
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

now tell me, why I would need a rash guard? I see them but have never used one.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

northerngal wrote:now tell me, why I would need a rash guard? I see them but have never used one.
Welllll, you probly wouldn't need one up north there, but they are pretty much a must in the Caribbean. Especially if you like to snorkel a lot. They provide excellent sun block for your back, and they are comfortable to wear in and out of the water. I have brushed up against several jelly fish and never even noticed because I was wearing a rash gaurd. I didn't do it on purpose, just didn't see them till it was too late.

Try one, you'll like it.. :wink: :wink:

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Do they help with warmth? Last time we were down there in January I got a chill after snorkeling for a while.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Looks like Under Armour. Whats the difference?
Bryan
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

BRY1105 wrote:Looks like Under Armour. Whats the difference?
Couldn't say, I don't wear Under Armour. In fact, I don't wear unde....uh, never mind. :oops:

Yes, they do help with warmth (is that a word?) You will notice a difference with and without a rash guard.

-Bert

northerngal

Post by northerngal »

o.k. so now I 'm lost. Will the underarmour keep me warm or the rash gaurd stuff? I know UA helps a bit up north but I've never used it in water...
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

I don't suggest wearing Under Armour as a rash guard. My question is: what's so special about a rash guard? It looks a lot like Under Armour.
Bryan
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

northerngal wrote:o.k. so now I 'm lost. Will the underarmour keep me warm or the rash gaurd stuff? I know UA helps a bit up north but I've never used it in water...
I know nothing about the Under Armour. I am not suggesting that you wear it as a rash guard or anywhere else. I am saying the rash guard serves as a sun block and also helps with warmth. The rash guards were originally made for surfers to help keep them from getting a skin rash when they wiped out in heavy surf. It just evolved into a snorkel gear type of thing.

I think the main difference between rash guards and under armour is the type of material used and the thickness of it. I wear the looser fitting kind of rash guard snorkeling and as a t-shirt on land. Very comfortable. I hope you'll give it a try.

-Bert

California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I bought my first rash guard on advice from this forum and it might be one of the best investments I made in my snorkel gear! I'm very sun-sensitive but I LOVE snorkeling and could be out there for hours. With a rash guard I don't get a sunburn on my back, well, except for that gap between the hem of the rash guard and the top of my bathing suit bottoms... heavy sunscreen there and on the back of my neck and legs! :D In fact, I'm thinking of buying a long sleeve one to keep my arms from getting burned.

Rash guards are made from a very neat fabric that dries quickly on contact with the air, and they do also help keep you warm. But for me it's all about the sunburn! :oops:

This is the one I got: http://discountbeachgear.com/Merchant2/ ... ard-womens
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Correct all....rash guards were originally used by surfers, for the rash that can develop by rubbing your chest on the wax on top of the board when paddling. Over time they got more advanced by having the fabrics engineered as sun blocks. Most rash guards now are rated at spf 50 or something like that. They're great for surfing in the tropics, because the sun tan lotions wear off when you're in/out of the water for a 2-3 hour surf. So, you have constant sun protection.

That's why they're great for snorkeling also. Your back is constantly exposed to the sun, and I think the water maybe magnifies it a bit.... and the sun lotion wears off after a period of time. I've never been cold in STJ water, but my wife tells me the rash guard does keep her a little warmer though that's not really the purpose of them.

If you live near a coast, any surf shop has them. Also, the dive shops on STJ sell them. I would never snorkel without one.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:11 am.