Help for friends, Westin or Gallows Point?

Travel discussion for St. John
susan & herb

Help for friends, Westin or Gallows Point?

Post by susan & herb »

We have been to St John 5X but always stayed in villas. Friends of ours who usually go to Aruba or St Martin are thinking about going to St John this January. They are not villa people and are really not into driving on the island, husband is not comfortable. They do want to go to the beaches though.
Their travel agent gave them a brochure on the Westin and Gallows. I personally would not use a travel agent for this. Which would you recommend as I have no experience with hotels on the island. Also, are there ways for them to get around the island without a car? Do the hotels have jitneys or can they get a taxi to the beach etc. Really am clueless when I comes to this. We are always on our own when we go down and like it that way.
Appreciate any advise I can pass along to them
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

I have stayed at both and would definitely choose GP over the Westin. The Westin is too far out of town to walk and without a car, they will spend a fortune on taxis. I don't know if they have a free shuttle - they didn't when I stayed there 15 years ago. GP is right in Cruz Bay and is a great location. A lot of the units have been renovated and it has a small pool, hot tub, and great snorkeling area and is so convenient to walk to restaurants and the shops. They do have a shuttle to town but it is so close, there is no need to use it. They do pick you up at the ferry dock so you don't have to haul your luggage. There are also other options in Cruz Bay - Grande Bay (VRBO), Lavender Hill, Cruz Views - no need to use a travel agent!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

What Gigi said! Gallows would be my first choice!
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

we have stayed at Gallows twice and really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it although it is not cheap.
The Gallows shuttle picks you up and takes you to ferry but I'm not sure it takes you to beaches. Might need to walk in to town and pick up a regular taxi.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Gallows!
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Thanks for your help everyone.
Are there any particular rooms that are better than others. Do they have kitchens?
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I have stayed at both a couple of times. I think both properties are good choices, and it really depends what type of lodging your friends prefer. Aruba and St.Maarten tend to have larger resorts, more like the Westin, so this might be more comfortable to them. At the Westin you can lay in your chair at a large, active pool or at the beach and someone will bring you a rum punch or cheeseburger in your chair. At GP, there is a small, quiet but pristine oceanside pool, with no pool bar. The units at GP are larger and have far better water views. Also, GP is closer to town, which I like. They are different properties, though, so I would just describe them and let them decide what seems right.
---Jim
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Have them also check out Grande Bay through www.VRBO.com. It is convenient to town and IMHO a better value than Gallows (we've stayed both).

It they are use to the "resort" thing, the Westin or Caneel are options...both have the availability of cab to take them around the island. Of course, Caneel has it's own beautiful beaches!

VRBO also has units at Gallows and the Westin!
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Iowaguy is right.
Last edited by Berlingirl on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

No offense, but listing 101 reasons is just too long for a thread.. :?
Iowa Guy made a great point...Let the couple know the differences in the 2 properties and ask them which seems a better fit for them..
Pia

Post by Pia »

Of the two choices, Gallows but do check Grande Bay (I know of a forumite that come Friday owns one :wink: ) so GB or even Estate Lindholm.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
olivias dad

Post by olivias dad »

We've been to both (we own timeshare at the Westin). Gallows is great if you want to walk to town, but no real sand beach but more quite and no kids. Westin more family oriented, has a larger pool, bar, and typical resort amenities, while not as close to town, closer than most villas and has a lot more to offer than Gallows as far as amenities. So it all depends what you are looking for both are great spots! Either way i suggest renting a vehicle if you are staying at either, since neither has the best beaches on the island.

:wink:
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Two thoughts.

1) based on your description of these folks it honestly sounds like Caneel would be a better fit so long as it doesn't blow out their budget.

2) Again, based on your description of these folks perhaps STJ may not be a good fit for them overall.

I know STJ isn't for everyone (shocking, I know!) but vacations cost time and money and being honest with folks about STJ and how to get the most out of a stay there could save them some frustration in the long run.

If Caneel is out of their budget then I think the other suggestions about Gallows and Grande Bay are good ones.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am with Gromit.

Twice we have had friends who did not fully understand what they are getting into with a STJ vacation.

The first set went to STJ on their honeymoon, stayed at the Westin. The brides side of the goes to Aruba several times a year and she did not like STJ, at all - not enough beach to walk on, why do we need to take a ferry? that sort of thing. The change from her Aruba resort experience was too much. The husband was also very uncomfortable driving around. STJ was too much work for them.

The second had a good time but were baffled that they had to drive so much. They were used to their on-the-beach resort vacations thoroughout the Caribbean and the Outer Banks. Their statement of the week was "why didn't we just rent a house on the beach? We are tired of driving"
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Gromit wrote:Two thoughts.

1) based on your description of these folks it honestly sounds like Caneel would be a better fit so long as it doesn't blow out their budget.

2) Again, based on your description of these folks perhaps STJ may not be a good fit for them overall.

I know STJ isn't for everyone (shocking, I know!) but vacations cost time and money and being honest with folks about STJ and how to get the most out of a stay there could save them some frustration in the long run.

If Caneel is out of their budget then I think the other suggestions about Gallows and Grande Bay are good ones.
Strange reply for someone looking for information on Gallows vs Westin.

We have stayed many many times and never been disappointed. Easy walk to town. Grab a taxi to any north shore beach. Maybe rent a car for a day or two to explore a bit. We have rented from Suite St John for years. Check them out and see if they are running specials for the time you might want to visit.

Westin has a man made beach. Gallows gets you directly into the sea and actually some very good snorkeling.

Have never stayed at Grade Bay, but would have to agree that this might be a good alternative.