Does anyone know what kind of spider this is?

Travel discussion for St. John
stjohnjulie

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is?

Post by stjohnjulie »

This shot is on the See St. John website, but he doesn't know what kind it is. Do any of you know?

Why am I asking??? Because I was sweeping my kitchen yesterday and a spider like this, but bigger!!! ran from under my stove to under my refrigerator and I haven't see it since. :shock: I hate spiders!!! I've seen this kind in other places, but I have never been able to figure out what kind it is. My skin is crawling because I just spent the last half hour doing a google image search for "Caribbean Spiders" ICK!
djmom

Post by djmom »

baby tarantula?
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

With all the hair on the legs I'd say it's probably an juvenile tarantula but that's just a guess. There are lots and lots of spiders on STJ. I don't like to think about it to tell you the truth. They creep me out too.
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

EWWW!!!! I think it is a taratula as well. Only spider experience on STJ so far was a very large "water spider" in the restroom at Francis. It basically looked like a huge fat tarantula. They tell you not to squish them since they explode into a nasty yellow mess. (No problem as I don't have anything large enough to squish them with.) I guess there is one nice thing about living in Pennsylvania...no tarantulas in my kitchen! :D
loria

Post by loria »

I am not sure it is a taratula, the body seems out of proportion. however, i am no expert on tarantulas....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

It's a big frikken hairy ugly spider, that's what kind it is! I hate spiders, and I wouldn't be around long enough to give it a name. If it moved from under my stove to under my fridge, it could have the darn thing, hell, it could have my whole kitchen.......did I mention I hate spiders?

Good luck with naming it..... :wink: :wink:

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

My brother and I saw two of them running across the bushes at night. They move so quickly and needless to say I did too :shock:
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

It looks like a Giant Crab Spider (Heteropoda venatoria) or something in that Genus. They are supposed to be harmless to humans and prey on cockroaches and other insects. I think they are also called Banana spiders.
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

stjjulie,

Not sure what kind it is, but I will trade you for the one that decided to spend our last night in the villa in bed with me :shock:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/__-7EsMmpka4/TAQAr ... 070132.JPG

I woke up & there he was, with us in bed.
He looked about the colour of yours, but then when we killed him he seemed to turn white.

No a bed guest I hope to have ever again....

The Shopper
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

CariBert wrote:It's a big frikken hairy ugly spider, that's what kind it is! I hate spiders, and I wouldn't be around long enough to give it a name. If it moved from under my stove to under my fridge, it could have the darn thing, hell, it could have my whole kitchen.......did I mention I hate spiders?

Good luck with naming it..... :wink: :wink:

-Bert
As usual, you're freakin' hysterical!
The first spider I've seen that was big enough to mention shocked the crap out of me at Sago Palms Villa last November. It was black and @ the size of my hand.
Yuck.
Smiles-
MJ
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I LOVE researching stuff like this :D How about a Huntsman spider? Seems to match the body shape, habitat and habits, and has a wide range. The color may have been brightened on the photo you showed.
Here's a funny video! Don't do this!
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bRV4d9LCawU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bRV4d9LCawU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
lprof

Post by lprof »

Maybe it is this... Golden Huntsman or Olios Fasciculatus.

Scroll down a little....

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/nikon4.htm

These spiders do not spin webs.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Looks like what we call a wolf spider here in Florida. They get as big as your hand, freakn'scarey. I used to get them in my house every spring UNTIL I got some cats, have seen any in about a year. That video scenario happened to me, I had put my hanging plants outside on some trees to give them a good soaking, brought them back in, while hanging one up the damned thing jumped on my face! I had dirt all over from throwing the plant, kids thought it was hilarious. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I have a friend who keeps tarantulas as pets. I'll forward him your picture and see what he says about it.

I believe I've also heard of Golden Orb (?) spiders on St. John. I think people see them on the Reef Bay Trail fairly often.

EDIT: My friend says: "its legs look too long to be a tarantula. its hard to tell without a front facing shot tho." I don't suppose you stuck around long enough to get him to pose, did you? :lol:

EDIT II: I just looked up Golden Orb spiders, and it doesn't match the pictures.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Great minds think alike.....Minde that video is hilarious!! Especially when the guy runs away with the plastic bowl on his foot!!

Giant Crab Spider
Olios giganteus
Family: Hetropodidae (Sparassidae)
Other common names: huntsman
Spanish name: cazadora del desierto

Description
One of the largest in this area, this spider has a leg span of 2 to 2¼ inches (50 to 64 mm). It is medium to light brown. It often extends its legs at right angles to its body. It can move sideways rapidly, hence the name “crab” spider. Despite its large size, it is capable of climbing fairly smooth vertical surfaces and is often seen high on walls or even ceilings of dwellings. This is one easy way to distinguish it from the wolf spider, a non-climber.

Giant crab spider
Distribution and Habitat
Though it belongs to a group of spiders which is mostly tropical, the giant crab spider is found throughout Arizona and Sonora, in a variety of habitats, such as in dead saguaros, under rocks, and in dwellings.

Ecology
This is a hunting spider that wanders in search of insect prey, then relies on speed to catch it. During the day it hides, its flattened body perfectly designed for fitting into narrow cracks or fissures. At night it comes out to hunt. Reportedly, its bite is painful, though it is not dangerous to humans. These spiders generally settle into one place only at egg-laying time. Females produce large egg bags that they hide in and guard.