Best West Indian food on St. John right now...

Travel discussion for St. John
olivias dad

Best West Indian food on St. John right now...

Post by olivias dad »

Hi there, family is enjoying the beautiful weather this week has to offer us on St. John - noticed that Sweet Plantains has been closed and will remain closed indefinetly as well as Miss Lucy's. Looking for a good ole fashion island/West indian food (even if its from one of the local trailers). Thanks in advance.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Sheila's Pot is always a good bet in Cruz Bay or you can give Vie's a try on the East End.

Also, there are a couple of good spots at the triangle in Coral Bay which some poeple seem to like but that I have never tried personally.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
olivias dad

Post by olivias dad »

thanks Gromit - ill have to swing by Sheila's shes usually hit or miss as far as being open. ill give it a whirl, thanks
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We love the food at Sogos. Its on one of the side streets in Cruz Bay. Can't remember exactly where it is - you'll have to ask someone in town. The lady is from the island of Dominica and makes authentic West Indian food. My husband loves the West Indian Curried Goat and I like the Shrimp cooked with tomatoes and onions. Also like their chicken. Comes with lots of nice side dishes. The place is small and not that nice inside, so sometimes we get carryout and take back to our villa with a view. We have chatted with the owner and she is delightful. They also have good tropical fruit juices.
Give it a try and let us know how it is.
BTW - I am so envious that you are sending a little note while ON the island and enjoying beautiful weather. Wish we were THERE!
olivias dad

Post by olivias dad »

thanks B&J - u are right, i forgot about SoGos. Because my wife and my 2 year old aren't big on the West Indian food, i usually sneak it on when they are napping - Sogos is in the heart of Cruz Bay side street you are correct. Maybe ill get over there in a bit after i finish my tropical beverage (sorry had to add that to rub it in - we love it here he he).

Hope you are coming back to visit soon, this will probably be our last trip for a few years before we head back (doing the 2nd child and Disney thing over the next couple of years to come!)

Thanks again,

Olivias dad
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

You might look at the place that's where Pickles used to be in Coral Bay. Owen's Place or something like that I think is the name. I'm pretty sure they would have some West Indian influenced food. It seems to me I heard they had goat stew anyway.
olivias dad

Post by olivias dad »

i didnt even realize Goat was a meat people ate. im guessing its good as ur the 2nd person who has quoted it in a West Indian dish. Not sure if we are going to head over towards the Coral Bay side or not this year...week is already flying by

:oops: :)
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Goat meat is a very common ingredient in West Indian cooking. Roti is either chicken or goat.

If you think about it you see a lot more goats on smaller Caribbean islands, rather than cows.

Goats need a lot less room and can roam more easily on steep hillsides than cows.

They also provide milk.

Also, I've heard folks mention Hercules Pate in the past. Someplace else to consider.

DO try to get out to the East End though. The drive is fun and a stop at Vies for her garlic chicken and Johnny cake followed by a visit to Sloop Jones for some hand painted anything is a good way to spend a couple of hours. Vie's beach is also nice.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

One more option for you in town...at the ballfield there is a woman cooking lunch inside that cage-like structure on the corner of the field. I "think" it is Miss Etta, who is very popular for her West Indian food. Maybe someone can confirm?

I checked the menu while driving by one day and she had conch, chicken, goat, souse (? not sure what that is), shrimp, and a couple other things I am forgetting. Prices were around $10-15. The stew conch was the most expensive item. Unfortunately we did not get to try it because it rained for the rest of our trip and she wasn't open in the rain.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

FYI - Owens Place in Coral bay has closed the space is available for rent.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Pia

Post by Pia »

Also I think Vie has closed for season - not 100% though :( Do try Windy Level on Centerline Road just past Supreme Corner on the way out of Cruz Bay (it will be on your left on a small hill) also Back To Your Roots (I think that is what it is called) on the road to your right before the gas station (when heading towards the Westin)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I loved the goat at Sogo's, and hubby had a GREAT burger there, as well, so there is some "normal" food for those like your wife and my Blaine :)
budman

Post by budman »

"FYI - Owens Place in Coral bay has closed the space is available for rent.
Pia"

That's too bad! That was a great place to watch Inner Visions play.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Owen's Happy Hour, closed :( They jacked the rent up on him and they couldn't do it.

Fire Foods, triangle in Coral Bay, not open :( Hopefully they will be open next season.

Forward to Your Roots is an "Ital" place (Vegetarian)
and is delicious! They are near the basketball courts. Take a right on the road just before the courts and it is down just a bit on your right.

Etta has been cooking at the pavilion at the roundabout for lunch. She was doing it 3 times a week, but I haven't checked her schedule lately. She is a very popular West Indian, local favorite, cook.

A Taste of Love City Mobile Kitchen (how's that for a mouthful!) is near the car barge port. It's a white van, with a tent and a few tables set out in front. They closed for a couple of weeks....I can't recall if they are reopen this week or next week.

P&P By the Sea is on Moorehead Point. They have great food as well. I would call to check if they are open. I'm not sure what their "summer" schedule is.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Capt. Brandi has posted a picture on Facebook this morning that shows Hercules Pate has had a very bad fire last night. That's a real shame.