Hair In My Face!

Travel discussion for St. John
pjayer

Hair In My Face!

Post by pjayer »

My hair floating around in front of my mask when I snorkel drives me crazy. There's some type of head band made of stretchy fabric that people use, but I can't remember the name of it. Does anyone know the name and where they can be purchased?
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I think I have seen these mentioned

http://www.buffwear.com
janet
papabou

Post by papabou »

may not apply to you but total baldness works for me. the granddaughter hair is long enough that they pull back in a pony tail with rubber bands.

oh for the days when my hair was even combable.

papabou
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

That's what I was looking for, jayseadee. I've racked my brain for two days trying to remember Buff with no luck. It really shouldn't be so difficult. Thank you, thank you!

Papabou, that's pretty funny. Thankfully, I have all my hair. It's the memory that I'm losing.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Jo&Wally

Hair in your face

Post by Jo&Wally »

I had the same problem and tried the head bands but they didn't work and kept falling off in the water if I had to take off my mask for any adjustment. However when we were snorkeling in the Galapagos the guides were using the :Doo Rags: type of head cover and they gave me one which works great. I have been using it ever since.I found a new one at the watersport shop in the Westin Hotel on STJ. My husband even uses one now so the top of his head doesn't get sun burn. Inexpensive to boot I think if I remember it ws ten dollars
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Bathing cap...preferably the white kind with little plastic flowers.

It works on 3 levels:
1: Hair out of face
2: Fashion
3: Attracts fish

Or...like many other men...baldness works for me
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

pipanale wrote:Bathing cap...preferably the white kind with little plastic flowers.

It works on 3 levels:
1: Hair out of face
2: Fashion
3: Attracts fish
That's a great idea! Why didn't I think of it? I'll order two, one for me and one for bayer. We'll wear them to the BB gathering so everyone will know us. He's going to be so happy when I tell him. :D

pjayer

Re: Hair in your face

Post by pjayer »

Jo&Wally wrote:I had the same problem and tried the head bands but they didn't work and kept falling off in the water if I had to take off my mask for any adjustment. However when we were snorkeling in the Galapagos the guides were using the :Doo Rags: type of head cover and they gave me one which works great. I have been using it ever since.I found a new one at the watersport shop in the Westin Hotel on STJ. My husband even uses one now so the top of his head doesn't get sun burn. Inexpensive to boot I think if I remember it ws ten dollars
Jo, do these tie in the back? If so, I have one, but don't like having to tie it in the back. My hair gets caught in the knot making it uncomfortable. Maybe being bald is the solution.
Jo&Wally

Post by Jo&Wally »

Jpayer
Yes these do tie in the back but I found that the one I had and also the one I bought at the westin had a little flap on the bottom of the back that hung down a little bit so that kept my hair away from where I tie it which is above the flap. It took a little getting to know it and use to it but it sure beats looking at my hair fly by my face all the time. Now I don't even know I have it on.
papabou

Post by papabou »

pj, i use "do-rag" to help protect my bald head. bald's not bad. ever though of being a hair donor?

still papabou
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

My daughter's soccer team all use pre-wrap. Here's a link to a discussion about it with some pics. Works great to keep girls' soccer players' hair away from their faces and is cheap and versatile. Don't see why it wouldn't work for this application as well.

Not as stylish as the flowers, though.

http://www.geardiary.com/2008/05/02/pre ... your-life/
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

ScubaDoRag...my wife swears by them. For those who are not follickly challanged, and for those of us who are......it works great to keep hair off of face, and protect scalp from sun burn...

http://www.scubadorag.com/cart/index.ph ... &cPath=1_2

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

OMG I had that bathing cap as a kid. Yikes!

I use LOTS of hair clips and am sorry to say that there are quite a few of them at the bottom of the ocean. I can get most of my hair back now with no "bangs" to deal with so the clips work pretty well.
equineannie

Hair Out Of Your Face

Post by equineannie »

I use the band you are talking about, go to www.scubadorag.com. She is out of NC and can ship to you. In a pinch, I use a handkerchief, like the old hippie ones, and tie around as a headband. Wet it first and it should stay under your mask.

Ann