Day Trips to Jost

Travel discussion for St. John
MKPK

Day Trips to Jost

Post by MKPK »

Hi All, long time lurker. Making our 6th visit in May, 5 - 15 and would like to get some information on a day trips to Jost. Wife wants to make the trip!!! Looking forward to our visit, 63 days and counting! :) :) :)
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
nascarfan59

Day trips to Jost

Post by nascarfan59 »

MKPK - We will be on STJ on the same dates then spending the last 3 on Jost. I'm sure you will find the info you need right here on the forum. I can't tell you much since this will be our first time going to JVD.

Jorge - Need your help with a statement that has been bothering me for more than 20 years. "Miller Lite, More Taste, Less Filling" Hmmm.

25+ and counting :lol:

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
MKPK

Trip to Jost

Post by MKPK »

The truth be told all my wife wants to do is go over, have a few pain killers, buy a few T shirts and maybe take a few pics at Foxys and do a little exploring. Don't need to snorkle!(Although we do) Who on STJ do you recommend for this trip? Thanks Mike 8) 8) 8)
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mountaineer girl

Post by mountaineer girl »

We (4of us) want to do the same thing as your wife and you, so we are just taking the ferry to Jost while we're there (from STT). I think it runs on Fri, Sat, and Sun, and is about $50/pp RT. I THINK I read that customs is only $5 (not $20) when doing the ferry - not sure why its cheaper than when doing a charter. The schedule and cost is posted above under "Trip Planning" and "getting around". Leaves Red Hook at 8:00, stops at STJ, then will leave Jost at 3:00 to come back.

Hope this helps!
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Mountaineer Girl, that's the same info I had. Last year my friends and I took the day trip that left from the Westin, about 25 or so on board. It was fun, the captain and crew were great. We stopped at White Bay and Great Harbour. This year I've planned to go again, but we'll do the ferry this time. Less expensive, and we can explore on our own a little. A few Painkillers, enjoy the beaches and then back to STJ!!
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

A post I saved when I had questions about going to JVD on the ferry:

Just made that day trip three weeks ago. Friday, Saturday and Sunday you can leave Cruz Bay at about 8:30 a m....ferry to West End Tortola to go through customs...then on to Great Harbour JVD. You can take the moderately strenuous 15 minute walk up over the hill from Great Harbor to White Bay or take a taxi for 5 dollars each way. Chairs are available...didn't notice if umbrellas were. Very limited shopping only a couple hundred people live on Jost.
It's mostly T-shirts and souvenirs from Foxy's in Great Harbour and at the Soggy Dollar and Ivan's Stress Free bars, plus a few other small establishments along the beach. Ferry leaves JVD for STJ at 3 p m.

We have done the trip by ferry twice. The first time we cleared customs on West End and yes, we did disembark to do so. We left on the same ferry. The second time, last November, we did not stop on Tortola and cleared on Jost. I was told it can depend due to how many vessels they have running. Either way, it's pretty painless.

_____
Maybe that'll help you, too.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I have a question about this. We are planning to take the ferry to JVD while we are on St. Thomas. Does anyone know if this is all the same ferry? Does it leave STT, stop and pick up the folks on STJ and then carry on to JVD?
mountaineer girl

Post by mountaineer girl »

Mary Beth - from my understanding, that's exactly how it works. The schedule says the ferry leaves Red Hook and then stops at STJ 15 minutes later, then on to Jost. I think its supposed to be a total of 45 minutes??

I also understand that the customs fee on the ferry is only $5 - as compared to $20 when on a charter. Does anyone know if this is correct??