Ladies Week on St John

Travel discussion for St. John
Betty

Post by Betty »

Sitter ... totally understand, we are totally lucking out on the college tuition department, daughter is being recruited with almost full golf scholarship and the rest is being taken care of with an academic scholarship because her SAT's were high. One of the schools she was looking at was 45k a year, the 2 she is deciding between right now are 22-25k huge difference! I truly do not understand how people pay for these big schools. If we had to pay her tuition we wouldnt see St John till they had to wheel us off the ferry in wheel chairs! :shock:

A suggestion to parents with young girls, start them in Squash, Crew or Golf immediately! They have more scholarship money available than player's. 150 womens golf scholarships went unused last year for Div 1&2.

Cypress ... I am not a smoker but I am a spooner, I think I will pay for my own room :oops: When I am asleep I can not be responsible for my actions or rolling, especially if I have a few wines before bed.

Okay for a head count we have Cypress, possible SeaNile and me, did I miss anyone?
Betty

Post by Betty »

My face is red :oops: , I forgot Wonton/Tammy, Suzyq, Jan and Savvy from Marybeth's thread :oops:
accept my apology :wink:
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

I'm in the same boat with this college searching and high tuitions and so many so far away; it's already stressing me out! I just booked this very last minute trip to STJ, leaving on Saturday, and my sub-conscious tells me it was to avoid dealing with the college process. And oh lucky me, I have (son/daughter) twins, so I get to do this for 2 at the same time. You'd think that I'd be used to it by now, but not in this case with all that's involved. Anyway, I may have to hop on board should I need another stress reliever. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Yea,
We have college starting in 2009 and it will probably continue at least for 8 years with the 2 kids!
That is why I want to go to STJ now before it is too late.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I guess we are all in the same boat. My oldest daughter is in her first year of college. Thank God we started saving when she was born. I'm still trying to get over her being gone. I want to cry every time I go in her room. But it was her idea to have a mommy-daughter trip to STJ for spring break and I can't wait. I guess she misses me to. 12 days and counting.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Hi Betty I don't mind being spooned Just another service I can do for the group. :lol: I licked out with my youngest he made the Olympic team so schools were standing in line to give him money and at 16,000 a semester I wouldn't be eating much less going to STJ.
mountaineer girl

Post by mountaineer girl »

Well gee, I'm new to this board, but it sounds like I'm in the same boat as alot the females here! I'm 47, and our "baby" graduated last year, which is how we are finally getting our first trip to the VI's :) For years, most of our vacations revolved around baseball tournaments (American Legion and college b-ball) Anyhoo, with 2 in college, there is no way I could talk hubby into letting me spend $ on a VI trip without him. He's wanting to do an Arizona trip this fall :cry: not my idea of a vacation, but of course I'll go.

Well, you ladies have a great time - maybe I'll be able to make a 2008 trip, since one will be out of school by then!
savvy

Post by savvy »

I wouldn't be able to get away from work in Nov., but please keep the discussion posted here in case things change. We will all want to hear about your plans and your trip. Perhaps in 2008....
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

I'll be waiting in the wings to see if there's talk about a 2008 trip as well! I'm not paying college tuition for anyone... I just finished paying off my own student loans though! :)
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Ladies, I'm the one who always has a suitcase packed, always looking for a way to get back to STJ. I'm curious though, it seems as if a lot of you know each other already which is great. Would it be okay for somebody you don't really know to join you? I "lurked" here for a while, and have only just really been posting. 2008 would work better for me, too, but I love reading about trip planning...and of course, the more I read, the more I'll want to come along. Seems like I'm older than you gals, though; I'm 58...though a young 58, believe me. My sons are grown and my husband is disabled, and encourages me to take these trips. He is a golf professional and did a lot of those "men golf trips" for many years, so now it's my turn! I travel a lot during the year with a group of gals I met, believe it or not, on the internet!!! Guess we weren't too dangerous after all. With all the trips I have planned through September, I guess a trip this year for me would depend on the price - that's why I said 2008 would work better, I'd have more time to plan. Can't wait to watch this develop!! :D
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

VaGirl,
I promise you, I've never met anyone from this board. And 58 is not too old as far as I'm concerned. I'm only a few years behind you. I have a grown son also, and a second family that consists of 2 teen girls. I told my husband last night about the possibility of making this trip with a bunch of ladies from this forum. His comment was "three trips to STJ in one year? You may need to get a job." I really think we all have the love for STJ in common and age really does not matter. Please try to join us. The more the better!
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Cypressgirl, you are a gal after my own heart. Funny, my sister and I are going to be in Houston in June, would love to meet you. And of course, the more I think about a trip back to "paradise", the more I know I'll just have to make it! Thanks for your kind words.
Betty

Post by Betty »

VaGirl ... I have not met anyone on this board except St John Ruth, I think she will vouch for my character :? I am 48 so we are not far off, its funny my 94 year old grandmother is constantly saying I do not know how I got to be so old, I still feel 21!
Age is just a number :shock:
We would love to have you join us, I suggested some people might want to share rooms to keep the cost down, also November is still low-season. I am hoping low airfare season too.
I am encouraged that you have had a positive experience traveling with people from the Internet!

Cypress I am so impressed your daughter wants to spend Spring Break with you, most college kids want to travel with friends. I give you toms of credit for raising a level headed daughter! :lol:
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

VaGirl........Where in Houston does your sister live? Maybe I could meet the two of you for lunch. If we both end up on the STJ trip, at least we would know each other. But I also think meeting up with a group of women I have only typed to is so interesting. Kind of like meeting a pen pal.

Betty.....My daughter and I have a blast together, but, she is also taking a friend. I get along really well with all her friends, and she knows she is not going on a Spring Break trip without me. I won't even leave them alone on a night on the town in Cruz Bay. I guess I still have thoughts of Aruba on my brain. I'm going to be a zombie by the time we get home. They don't start partying until my bedtime. Besides, I could not bear the thought of them spotting Kenny Chesney at Woody's and me being back at the condo waiting for them to get home.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I have an idea.
Maybe those of us who are remotely interested can PM Betty with our information and the dates that work for us. Then she can keep track of everyone. This post will eventually get lost on the forum.

It does sound like 2008 will work for more people. Maybe we could do both 2007 and 2008!
I think it is a great idea. Will any of you be coming to the Wisconsin forum party July 14th? I wasn't paying attention to where everyone lived.
If some of us meet each other that might help.
Terese